Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's VS4-10 Phoenix Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 06:28 AM   #21
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: B-MOW's VS4-10 Phoenix Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Definitely gonna be paying attention to this build.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Good to see u finally got yours brian. They screwed me today, daggum morons. Attempted delivery at 12:28, while people are at work smh. I called n scheduled for 4 tomorrow. So mine should be here soon
Thanks bama! Sorry to hear about yours!

Yeah, they should know that people do work! That is the reason why I had mine shipped to my work. I knew that Fed Ex would try to deliver when I'm not home, then I would have to either have it redelivered the next day or go pick it up at my local Fed Ex.

I tell ya the next time if items don't ship UPS then I'll just cancel my order. I've always had better luck with UPS!

Fingers crossed you get yours today at 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fookison View Post
Awesome stuff Brian, glad that you are away at your build now and Indybama, hope you get your kit tomorrow. Mine was stuck in customs coming up to Canada, finally cleared yesterday after a week sitting on someones desk. I hope to have mine next week sometime. Fingers crossed! Enjoy your builds gents!!! Looking forward to those interesting paint schemes!!!
Man, sorry to hear about customs! Glad that I don't have to deal with that! Hopefully it will arrive early next week so that you can start on the build! Can't wait to see it!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

First of all before I get into the build, I must say this new Phoenix Portal kit is by far the best kit that I have ever built. I have built many kits including both the Vanquish VS4-10 Origin and the VS4-10 PRO and loved how smooth and easy they were to build, but this new Phoenix seems to be on a higher level. Everything about this kit just feels and looks great! The plastics that are used are top notch and the machined metal parts are precisely manufactured.

At this point I have about 90% of the kit completed and did not have any issues with missing parts or wrong parts in the kit. Each individual bag had the right amount of pieces in each. Now I did notice that the manual had a few issues, but the e-manual that is on VP's website has been corrected and that is the manual that I used and am currently using.

Ok, now on to the build. I started off with Bag A, the front axle. I must say these new plastic axles that VP has designed are extremely nice. I have always been a fan of the machined aluminum axle housings that they make, but I think these new plastic axle housings are now my favorites! They are molded so nice and smooth and they look great! They are beefy and have all the needed gussets to make these extremely durable!

I have laid out all of the parts from each bag so that in case anyone has issues with their kit, they can compare theirs to mine.

Name:  IMG_7671 (2).jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  178.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7672 (2).jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  177.4 KB

Oh, these look so good!

Name:  IMG_7674 (2).jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  180.3 KB

On to Bag C, the chassis. The chassis is from what I can tell is identical to the PRO and Ultra chassis'. It is also the same as the Chassis Kit that is available separately. I believe the only difference is the trans skid. It is designed a little different to hold the new VFD Twin trans.

Name:  IMG_7673 (2).jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  177.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7675 (2).jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  180.1 KB

One thing to note is on the front shock towers, the manual doesn't show these installed correctly. In order for the front inner fenders to fit properly, install the shock towers like they are pictured below.

Edit: svt923 made me aware of why the shock tower is installed the way it is in the manual. See post #27 & #28 below for the explanation.

So don't do as I said above, unless you want to use the body post holes in the future for other types of bodies.

Name:  IMG_7676 (2).jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  175.9 KB

Thanks for looking! More to come later!

Last edited by B-MOW71; 11-03-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #23
Slow is the new Fast

This is my first VP rig, but have to agree with you. The quality in this kit is outstanding
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Thats lookin good brian! Like how u laid everything out for referance.

I got a message from fedex a lil bit ago. Them idiots cant read smh. I told them 4pm, but they done been to the house. They left a tag on the door, so i signed it yesterday. Good thing i did, cause ITS ON THE PORCH!!!!! Lol
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Looking good...looking good (it's so nice, I had to say it twice...lol). Have you decided whether you'll be running it with, or without, the rear side panels...or whether you'll go with something completely different? Also, have you decided on electronics (especially ESC & motor, and what kV)?

As for me, I haven't decided whether I'll keep, or sell, the Phoenix Portal axle set. I just order (via an RC chop shop) the machined axle set from the Pro, which is what I'll be installing on my Phoenix (once I receive it). One idea (since the Phoenix doesn't qualify (under SORRCA rules) as a Class 2 rig) is to keep them, and pair them with a standard VFD trans & skid, but on a non-Vanquish chassis. Is anyone aware of a CF or G10 'flat' rail chassis that the VFD trans/skid fits nicely on?

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the clear layout of parts and the tips on assembly Brian! I see Smog in Winnipeg got his kit so hopefully I will be next in line further east!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
One thing to note is on the front shock towers, the manual doesn't show these installed correctly. In order for the front inner fenders to fit properly, install the shock towers like they are pictured below.
Actually the manual is correct on the front shock towers, they face that way because there are cut outs in the fenders that allow the shocks to be removed without taking the fenders off. The screw needs to face the back of the truck for it to work.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #28
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
This is my first VP rig, but have to agree with you. The quality in this kit is outstanding
Yeah, VP doesn't skimp on quality! I like how you said this is your first VP rig. I take it this won't be your last!!

Quote:
Thats lookin good brian! Like how u laid everything out for referance.

I got a message from fedex a lil bit ago. Them idiots cant read smh. I told them 4pm, but they done been to the house. They left a tag on the door, so i signed it yesterday. Good thing i did, cause ITS ON THE PORCH!!!!! Lol
Thanks bama! Sweet! Glad it was still on the porch when you got home! Happy building!+

Quote:
Looking good...looking good (it's so nice, I had to say it twice...lol). Have you decided whether you'll be running it with, or without, the rear side panels...or whether you'll go with something completely different? Also, have you decided on electronics (especially ESC & motor, and what kV)?

As for me, I haven't decided whether I'll keep, or sell, the Phoenix Portal axle set. I just order (via an RC chop shop) the machined axle set from the Pro, which is what I'll be installing on my Phoenix (once I receive it). One idea (since the Phoenix doesn't qualify (under SORRCA rules) as a Class 2 rig) is to keep them, and pair them with a standard VFD trans & skid, but on a non-Vanquish chassis. Is anyone aware of a CF or G10 'flat' rail chassis that the VFD trans/skid fits nicely on?

Thanks Panther! I will be running with the rear side panels on. I like the look of it having bed sides. For electronics, I have already robbed my Mamba X and Slate 2280kv out of my TRX-4. I'll be using these until I decided on the permanent power plant.

As for a CF chassis for the VFD, I recently built a GSpeed CF and used my Origin D44 axles and a VFD trans. These trans fit perfectly in the G-rigs. I didn't use the stock skid though. I used a delrin skid and used spacers to install the VFD. Check out my build here to see more: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fookison View Post
Thanks for the clear layout of parts and the tips on assembly Brian! I see Smog in Winnipeg got his kit so hopefully I will be next in line further east!

Your welcome! Glad to hear they are releasing out of customs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Actually the manual is correct on the front shock towers, they face that way because there are cut outs in the fenders that allow the shocks to be removed without taking the fenders off. The screw needs to face the back of the truck for it to work.
Ok I see what you are saying. I was under the impression that the shock towers had to be the other way so that the body post holes lined up with the holes in the fenders. I actually put the top shock screw in the other direction in the shock tower so that it will still unscrew out of the back access hole. Even with the screw in backwards, it still tightens the shock down tight.

Thanks for the info. I'll go back and edit my previous post.

Name:  IMG_7693.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7694.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  167.5 KB
Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #29
Go Buckeyes!

Moving on, I'm skipping the D-Bag for now. I'm gonna build the awesome VFD Twin later on.

Up now is Bag-G, the links. I'll get to Bag-E in a bit. The links went together well and are beefy. I believe they are the same link set that I have on my Origin and PRO.

Name:  IMG_7677 (2).jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7678 (2).jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  173.1 KB

Bag-E, the shocks. These new SC8E Incision 80mm shocks are nice improvement over the Incision shocks of the past that were found on the Origin, PRO & Ultra. These have bleeder screws in the shock caps that make it easier to get the exact amount of fluid in the shocks without overfilling them.

There have been a few complaints about the shock collars being hard to thread on properly. Luckily for me, my shock collars threaded on without any problems. I did take my time and slowly thread them on. Once they were down on a couple threads, they screwed on fairly easy.

I went ahead and used the supplied 30wt fluid that was provided in the kit. Once I get this rig out on the rocks, I'll see if I need to adjust the shock fluid.

These shocks went together very easy on the first try (unlike the older version of Incision shocks) and are nice and smooth and leak free. I've seen a few others switch out their springs and shock collars for the Losi Mini-T springs. I may eventually switch to the Mini-T's in the future.

Name:  IMG_7680 (2).jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  177.7 KB

The one issue I had was with the pistons. I felt that they were a little tight when installed in the shock bodies. I lightly sanded down the pistons a touch so that they weren't so tight in the shock bodies.

I was able to hold the shock shaft at a 45 degree angle to the sandpaper so that the piston would spin on the shaft to evenly sand each side of the piston.

Name:  IMG_7681 (2).jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7682 (2).jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  180.8 KB

And here are a few pics of the axles, links & shocks installed into the chassis.

Name:  IMG_7683 (2).jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7684 (2).jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7685 (2).jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  177.9 KB

More on the way later!
Old 11-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
There have been a few complaints about the shock collars being hard to thread on properly. Luckily for me, my shock collars threaded on without any problems. I did take my time and slowly thread them on. Once they were down on a couple threads, they screwed on fairly easy.
I’m beginning to wonder if the issue I (and others) had with the shock collars was more a of manufacturing defect than an overall design flaw… Two of my collars went on as you described, and the other two got a thread or two down and just jumped a thread. I pulled the collars off a couple of my GTS shocks I had lying around since the shocks were the same diameter and those did the same thing, went on smooth for a thread or two then bound up. It felt like a thread pitch mis-match so I abandoned that idea. Then I saw people reporting on here and on Facebook that the GTS worked fine, so now I’m thinking the threads on my shocks are wonky…

Any chance you have a set of GTS shocks laying around and you could confirm whether they fit or not?

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Looks good bud
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The links went together well and are beefy. I believe they are the same link set that I have on my Origin and PRO.
As I understand it, certain links are the same length, while others are different. For example, looking at the front end, the tie rod is (supposedly) the same as the Pro, as are the front lower links...but, the drag link, panhard, and front upper link are different. Don't know about the rear. Right now, just waiting for RPP to ship my Phoenix.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Did you have to adjust the panhard at all to get the axle centered?
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #34
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I’m beginning to wonder if the issue I (and others) had with the shock collars was more a of manufacturing defect than an overall design flaw… Two of my collars went on as you described, and the other two got a thread or two down and just jumped a thread. I pulled the collars off a couple of my GTS shocks I had lying around since the shocks were the same diameter and those did the same thing, went on smooth for a thread or two then bound up. It felt like a thread pitch mis-match so I abandoned that idea. Then I saw people reporting on here and on Facebook that the GTS worked fine, so now I’m thinking the threads on my shocks are wonky…

Any chance you have a set of GTS shocks laying around and you could confirm whether they fit or not?

You may be on to something. It did feel like two of my shock collars did go on better than the other two. Mine may have the same problem as everyone else. I just went super slow and steady when I put my collars on because I knew that you and others had issues.

I do have a spare set of GTS shocks. Let me try it out later on and I get back with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctive pd View Post
Looks good bud
Thanks man!

Quote:
As I understand it, certain links are the same length, while others are different. For example, looking at the front end, the tie rod is (supposedly) the same as the Pro, as are the front lower links...but, the drag link, panhard, and front upper link are different. Don't know about the rear. Right now, just waiting for RPP to ship my Phoenix.

Yeah, you're probably right. I should have been more clearer in what I was trying to say. I meant that the thickness and beefyness are the same.

By the looks of the upper and lower fronts and rears, they do look similar. I'll have to compare these to my PRO to see which ones are the same or different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Did you have to adjust the panhard at all to get the axle centered?
No. It actually looks pretty good. I'll get a better look at it once I get the body and tires on it, but as it sits it looks good. I'll let you know later on.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
By the looks of the upper and lower fronts and rears, they do look similar. I'll have to compare these to my PRO to see which ones are the same or different.
If you could post that info, I'm sure many of us would greatly appreciate it. Shortly after the Pro was released, I purchased one...and then, the following day, I returned it (unopened). This wasn't because I didn't want it, but due to a "realization" of current finances at that time.

I email Vanquish for specifics, but Michael Pham (the person who always replies to emails) seems to be consistently adamant about not giving out any detailed information...on ANYTHING. In asking about measurements, I asked what the differences were between the Pro & Phoenix links, and he responded by saying, "One is longer than the other." Wray kind of answer is that? Sheesh. I'm replying back, trying to be more specific, I asked what the lengths were of the Pro & Phoenix drag link & panhard. He responded with. "i6 don't have that information." These are the same types of responses I've gotten from him for almost three years.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Man oh man, thats lookin gojus brian! Glad youre liking the build, mines goin together smoothly. Just got the trans done a lil bit ago. Hopefully the shocks go together as nicely. Ill keep in mind that sandpaper trick on the pistons
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I’m real curious to see what you do with the paint…

Coming together nicely!

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Man oh man, thats lookin gojus brian! Glad youre liking the build, mines goin together smoothly. Just got the trans done a lil bit ago. Hopefully the shocks go together as nicely. Ill keep in mind that sandpaper trick on the pistons

Hey bama thanks! Glad to hear yours is going together smooth!

Be gentle with the shock collars and they’ll go on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m real curious to see what you do with the paint…

Coming together nicely!

Thanks twade! Hoping to get some paint on it this weekend. It’s been to chilly here lately. Sounds like the temps will be better this Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Awesome job so far Brian! Really clean and smooth build! Lead the way with all your great wisdom on this build!
I hope to get to mine soon! Still no parcel.
Cheers!
Doug

Fookison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #40
Go Buckeyes!

Next up is Bag-F, driveshafts. The new ISD10 Driveshafts looks very similar to the Axial WB driveshafts. I've always had good luck with the WB driveshafts and these new VP shafts should do just fine. I'll see how they hold up and I might eventually upgrade to the Incision metal driveshafts.

A really nice feature that these new VP shafts have is an alignment mark molded into them so that it makes it easier to put them in phase.

Name:  IMG_7686 (2).jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7687 (2).jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  142.2 KB

Here are the extra pieces that aren't needed, but will come in handy for other builds!

Name:  IMG_7688 (2).jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  147.8 KB

And now Bag-H, chassis parts. Here we have a random mixture of pieces to complete the chassis.

Name:  IMG_7689 (2).jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7690 (2).jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7691 (2).jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  171.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7692 (2).jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  172.1 KB

I did get the VFD Twin trans built, so I'll have more on that next!

B-MOW's VS4-10 Phoenix Portal - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's VS4-10 Origin Limited B-MOW71 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 09-15-2023 06:18 AM
The new Vs4-10 Phoenix portal Fricker08 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 591 08-16-2022 07:43 PM
Vs4-10 Phoenix easleycrawler Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 11 11-01-2021 07:44 AM
B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build B-MOW71 1.9 Scale Rigs 99 07-06-2021 09:22 AM
Brandon's VS4-10 Rear Portal Yota Build Brandon Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 61 04-03-2020 12:21 PM