Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: The Panther & The Phoenix: Who needs 'Cat & Mouse', when the Black Cat can play with a bird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 05:05 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Panther & The Phoenix: Who needs 'Cat & Mouse', when the Black Cat can play

UPDATE: Yes, I know the lettering on the doors are not on alignment with each other...and, yes, I know the front handle mount holes on the doors are covered by the decal. The "correction" for said 'problems' is already being worked on. Redoing the decals approx 5-10% smaller will take care of it.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2022, 09:51 PM   #22

Default Re: The Panther & The Phoenix: Who needs 'Cat & Mouse', when the Black Cat can play

Wow I'm glad this popped up or I may have never seen it. You've done a wonderful job.
Lomanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:13 AM   #23
Go Buckeyes!

Wow! The body looks great! Mr. RC Patina Guy did an outstanding job once again!

Can't wait to see it once it is done and set on the chassis.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:28 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Wow! The body looks great! Mr. RC Patina Guy did an outstanding job once again!
Thanks, Brian. I had initially contacted Moosejaw about painting the Phoenix body, but he said he was backlogged about 6 months, and referred me to RC Patina Guy...said to contact him through Facebook. Little did I know, at that point in time, that he was pretty local to me. Instead of having to do the Phoenix body to him, he drive over to my place to pick it up (and I drove to his place, to pick it up once finished).

As for the work quality...yeah, it looks great (beyond "great", actually). When I (eventually) get around to building a C2 rig, I'll be contacting him again...that body is a hard body, which I'm suspecting could turn out even better. But, that's still a ways off, especially considering the body will have to be the last thing done on that build (will be merging two physical bodies into one).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 05-10-2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:09 AM   #25
Go Buckeyes!

Yeah from what I've seen and drooled over, they both do excellent work! I wish I lived closer so that have one of them could do up a sweet body for me!

One of these days I'm gonna try to do a patina body similar to how Harley just did in his video a few days ago. I was shocked at how well his body came out! That coming from someone who DOES NOT like to paint bodies! I'm sure if he can do it then I should have no problems!
Old 05-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yeah from what I've seen and drooled over, they both do excellent work! I wish I lived closer so that have one of them could do up a sweet body for me!

One of these days I'm gonna try to do a patina body similar to how Harley just did in his video a few days ago. I was shocked at how well his body came out! That coming from someone who DOES NOT like to paint bodies! I'm sure if he can do it then I should have no problems!
Did he say HE actually painted it? Reason I ask is, I know Moosejaw did all his other bodies. As for the "living closer" thing, not necessarily necessary...you can always ship your body to whichever of them agrees to paint a body for you. When I first contacted RC Patina Guy about painting the Phoenix body, I was visiting family in Las Vegas. He was going to have me ship the body to him...but, when I discovered that he only lived a few miles from where I live, I told him that I would be back to the Bay Area in a few days, and that I could hand-deliver it to him.

I know he has had people ship him bodies for painting from as far as Florida. It's just a matter of contacting him, providing him with design ideas, getting a price quotes, and making an agreement on the design (and for him to paint)...and, once that's all done, shipping him the body. Down payment on the paint job, itself, doesn't even have to be made until just before he starts painting. However, note that the "just before he starts" Parks could be anywhere from a few weeks, to a few months, depending on his current backlog at the point of time that an agreement is made.

EDIT: I do see, Josh did (finally) paint a body himself. Good job.

Last edited by Panther6834; 05-10-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #27
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Did he say HE actually painted it? Reason I ask is, I know Moosejaw did all his other bodies. As for the "living closer" thing, not necessarily necessary...you can always ship your body to whichever of them agrees to paint a body for you. When I first contacted RC Patina Guy about painting the Phoenix body, I was visiting family in Las Vegas. He was going to have me ship the body to him...but, when I discovered that he only lived a few miles from where I live, I told him that I would be back to the Bay Area in a few days, and that I could hand-deliver it to him.

I know he has had people ship him bodies for painting from as far as Florida. It's just a matter of contacting him, providing him with design ideas, getting a price quotes, and making an agreement on the design (and for him to paint)...and, once that's all done, shipping him the body. Down payment on the paint job, itself, doesn't even have to be made until just before he starts painting. However, note that the "just before he starts" Parks could be anywhere from a few weeks, to a few months, depending on his current backlog at the point of time that an agreement is made.

EDIT: I do see, Josh did (finally) paint a body himself. Good job.
Yeah, he actually painted it himself and has video proof! Oh, just saw your edit!

Yeah, I could box up and ship my bodies out west, but I'm not wanting to deal with the shipping cost and then have to worry about it getting lost or damaged on the way to or back. I just need to take the time to learn how to do it myself.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I know it's been quite a while since my last update, which is partly due to work being extremely busy, bit also due to a "family medical emergency". As some in here already know, back in March, while I was 'stationed' in Fresno (living in a hotel (full of nurses), driving nurses to the hospital & back twice a day), my mom had a stroke two days after visiting me for my birthday...and, two days after that, she was gone. It's been a rough four months, and, honestly, I've been purposely 'pouring' myself into work, so as to avoid dealing with reality. That has also, for the most part, kept me from RC stuff. Yes, I've done some, but I've mostly been "pushing aside" the projects I was already working on, so that I could work on something (TRX4 Chassis Kit) for my stepdad.

Anyway, after not working on the Phoenix for almost five months, I finally got a few things done. First up was reworking the shocks. I realized that the "long arm" GTS shocks were too long. 'Funny' thing is, the regular GTS shocks are slightly too short...so, to what to do, what to do!!! I decided to go back to my idea of using the shock bodies of one set, and the shafts of the other...but, was long-body/reg-shaft, or reg-body/long-shaft, to the better way to go. Extended, their virtually identical (0.1mm difference)...but, compressed, I discovered that the long-body/reg-shaft combo was 1mm shorter, thus I feel this is the better combo. With this combo, I also have the 'advantage' of the TiN shafts. What are other's thoughts on this? Is this the "better" combo...or, should it be the other way around?

Now...moving into what this update is REALLY about - the interior. First up...the dash. I apologize for not being able to recall his name (I remembered it a few hours ago, but I'm 'blanking' at this moment). His work is fantastic. You can get something very 'basic' (as I did)...or, did those wanting something truly "wild & crazy", he can incorporate LEDs, 'working' gauges, and even working miniature LCD monitors.

I know, a few of your eyes looking down my driver's top. Don't stare too long, you might get burned...literally. And, with that said, time to move onto the driver, and her 'companion'. As the kit is the VS4-10 Phoenix, who better to drive it than the Phoenix, herself. Yes, I'm talking about that fiery personality, Jean Gray. For those who've followed my other builds, you know that I enjoy not only 'themed' vehicles, but also The Avengers. I felt that Jean Gray/Phoenix was appropriate.

Obviously, I'm not finished 'installing' her. As I had to chop her up, and glue her back together, it's got to be done piece-by-piece, with plenty of "drying time" between pieces. What you see actually consists of four separate pieces. Still remaining are the left leg, then both arms. If you look back at the dash photo, you notice there's someone in the passenger seat...but, who? Well...if the driver is Phoenix, and "birds of a feather flock together", then the passenger can be none other than Sam Wilson, aka Falcon.

Here's a shot of the birds, uncaged.

And, for those who might be wondering, yes, that IS the short-lived Famke Janssen 'Phoenix' action figure. When it was released, the figure's...uh...'attributes' caused QUITE a stir with parents, they were recalled, and a new more-family-friendly version was created/ released. The 'adult' versions can still be found...if you know where to look.

Well...that's all for now. Hopefully, the next update doesn't take an long as this one did...but, it IS possible. In addition to work being very busy, and in addition to working on other projects (including upgrading my new Toyota RAV4), I am also preparing to move. With my mom having passed away, and my stepdad having his own medical issues, I feel this is (finally) the time to leave my wife...and move to Las Vegas. Planning, organizing, and actually making the move will take some time. My current guess-timate is sometime between the latter part of August, to mid/late- September. I'll be losing the great drifting track at Sheldon's Hobbies, and the even better tracks at NorCal Hobbies...but, I'll also be gaining the tech at 702 Speedway, and all the great crawling throughout the entire Vegas area.

Until next time..........

Last edited by Panther6834; 07-03-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Just a super-quick update for today...the interior is complete. I admit, I might have gone (a little) "overboard"...but, I like it, and that's all that counts.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:43 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

man its looking good. Have you ran it yet? I too want the pro straight axles but I can't seem to find the part number for the complete kit. In the description it says there are things/parts needed to complete them. Let me know where you ordered them and the part number etc. I am not a fan of the plastic, but more importantly I like the scale look of the straight axles. Thanks.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:01 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
man its looking good. Have you ran it yet? I too want the pro straight axles but I can't seem to find the part number for the complete kit. In the description it says there are things/parts needed to complete them. Let me know where you ordered them and the part number etc. I am not a fan of the plastic, but more importantly I like the scale look of the straight axles. Thanks.
Thank you. I know the 'X-Men' aren't really a part of the 'MCU'...at least, not yet...but, one never knows (since the 'Guardians' were folded into the 'MCU' movies). I just felt that a 'Phoenix' & 'Falcon' would make for a nice "flighty" pairing...lol. I realize no one had pointed out this "odd bird" pairing, so I thought I'd mention it, and my reasoning behind the pair.

Anyway...yes, she has gone through some basic testing, and she runs sweet. The Spektrum 2-in-1 is every bit as good as the HW Fusion. I am, however, still trying to get the best 'center' & 'endpoints' settings for the OD & DIG servos...they REALLY take a lot of time (of which I haven't had any the past several weeks, due to work...and, with The Quail & Concourse de Elegance, I'll be extra busy through the end of this weekend).

As for the axles, and part numbers, that's a bit difficult, as I didn't purchase any "parts"...I purchased the axles from a one-man RC 'chop-shop' who deals specifically in popular kits. He buys the kits, and then, leaving as much as possible in their factory-sealed bags, divides them into 'groups' - axles, transmission, links & driveshafts, wheels & tires, chassis, body & interior, etc. Then he sells the 'groups' individually. I bought the axle group from a VS4-10 Pro kit. I can't remember if he's in RCC, or FB...but, later today, while my clients are at Google, I will go through my messages on both, try to find him, and will PM you the info.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:39 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Great build man, i haven't bought any rc crawlers as of late, i think the last one was last year in the shape of the axial unimog, i bought a tamiya wild willy to go with my og willy montero this year, but that´s about it, 42 odd cars, but this vanquish truck has gotten my attention, i am looking at getting one in a couple of weeks, i'll definetly use some of your build tips.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote

The Panther & The Phoenix: Who needs 'Cat & Mouse', when the Black Cat can play with a bird - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RECON G6 "Cold Play" presented by Tekin Racing & Pit Bull Tires DRIVNMF Recon G6 0 04-06-2016 04:20 PM
Bully PRO's. "Letting the Cat out of the bag" Krakker RC4WD Bully 233 07-10-2012 10:53 PM
Wraith Eater! "Skat-Cat" Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 20 09-06-2011 03:46 PM
What do you mean "you never heard of cat crawling"??? craigrobbo Chit Chat 13 08-25-2008 07:32 PM