Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Proline Chevy K-10 on Phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Proline Chevy K-10 on Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion10 View Post
Looks great!!
Thank you, sir!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2022, 02:57 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Out on the trails.

Don't know what magic they performed at Vanquish, but this rig's really stable on difficult terrain.

For those wondering, this is the crawler course at Markham State Park in Sunrise, FL.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 04-22-2022 at 02:58 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 04-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

That body fits the rear cage real nice, great looking truck
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:10 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomp View Post
That body fits the rear cage real nice, great looking truck
Thanks brother, here's another shot made on the rocks

Old 05-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I've been intrigued by 3D printers for a while because of the possibilities they open up for custom builds. I finally took the plunge and bought a Bambu Lab Carbon X1, a printer which has taken 3D printers (at this price point at least) to a whole new speed and versatility level. Matt at SBG (aka imthatguy) also recently traded his trusty old Prusa for a Bambu.

There is of course the "minor" matter of learning CAD as I want to do more than just print other people's designs, so starting with a software called Shapr3D been slowly working my way up to designing simple parts to build my CAD skills.

The spacer I had originally hand-crafted for the Chevy K-10 body works well enough, but frankly I always thought the aesthetics could be improved. Below is the original and the new 3D printed version.

A rollbar was added to dress-up the rear of the cab and well.... provide protection against rollovers

This was printed in carbon fiber reinforced PETG and while the part is totally functional, I might reprint it in PLA CF as I'm not thrilled with the surface finish on the roll bar portion.

Those wanting to print one of your own can download the file on Thingiverse here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6038717

Last edited by JimInMiami; 05-25-2023 at 08:26 AM. Reason: fix error
Old 05-24-2023, 08:57 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Nice choice in the 3d printer ... one heck of a machine you got and learning CAD is a great skill and endless possibilities for the hobby. This build is just going to get better ... Playing around with the way you slice your model and the orientation of your print will help with those surfaces that you don't want ... I try to print flat surfaces face down and round surfaces up ... I also try not to use so many supports and keep the faces of objects that are to display facing up. Its a T&E curve you will have to play around. printing the same object in different orientations will give different finish and strength.
Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
Nice choice in the 3d printer ... one heck of a machine you got and learning CAD is a great skill and endless possibilities for the hobby. This build is just going to get better ... Playing around with the way you slice your model and the orientation of your print will help with those surfaces that you don't want ... I try to print flat surfaces face down and round surfaces up ... I also try not to use so many supports and keep the faces of objects that are to display facing up. Its a T&E curve you will have to play around. printing the same object in different orientations will give different finish and strength.
Thanks, I'm happy with X1, I almost pulled the trigger on the new Prusa, but when I realized how much faster the X1 was, it seemed like a no-brainer. The roll bar was printed face down on the printer bed, but I like your idea to flip it 180 degrees so that the side exposed to "public view" is not encumbered by the support structure.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:49 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Looks fantastic. Did you cut a hole in the inner fenders to get the body post to fit?
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:03 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Looks fantastic. Did you cut a hole in the inner fenders to get the body post to fit?
Thanks Valor, and sorry for the late reply. I'm not getting notifications on this thread for some reason. Anyway, no holes needed to be cut in the inner fenders to get the body post to fit. All that's required is to SWAP the right and left shock mounts. By doing so, the mounting location for the posts lines up with the pre-made openings in the inner fenders, see pic below.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:53 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Thanks Valor, and sorry for the late reply. I'm not getting notifications on this thread for some reason. Anyway, no holes needed to be cut in the inner fenders to get the body post to fit. All that's required is to SWAP the right and left shock mounts. By doing so, the mounting location for the posts lines up with the pre-made openings in the inner fenders, see pic below.

Thanks I removed the inner fenders to utilize the mounts but I will reverse the shock mounts instead and reinstall the liners.
Old 06-10-2023, 04:13 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Excellent post and very timely/helpful for me. I have the RTR on it's way for a build base and would like other cab options with the stock bed cage. I'm curious as to which other cabs will fit. Hopefully The RCC crew will also post up.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:36 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Excellent post and very timely/helpful for me. I have the RTR on it's way for a build base and would like other cab options with the stock bed cage. I'm curious as to which other cabs will fit. Hopefully The RCC crew will also post up.
Glad, this thread might be of service, that's the beauty of forums! Pretty much any cab only body will work with this setup, the only changes would likely be a slightly wider or thinner spacer to get the front wheel wells to line up - though, even there, one can always fudge a few mm by widening the wheel wells in the needed direction (I did).

Regardless, if you need a spacer of a different thickness just give me a shout, it's a pretty simple mod to the file. Even if you don't have a 3D printer you can get the part by sending the file to one of various commercial outfits. I've used JawsTec https://www.jawstec.com/3d-printing-services/and found there service top-notch and prices reasonable.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 06-14-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:37 PM   #33
RCC Addict

That K10 body does look really good with the cage. Nice work!
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 06:30 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Anyone know the reasoning why Vanquish reversed the front shock mount to cover up the body post with the inner fenders?
Old 06-29-2023, 06:38 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Anyone know the reasoning why Vanquish reversed the front shock mount to cover up the body post with the inner fenders?

I think to allow access to the top shock screw without having to remove the inner fenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:01 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I think to allow access to the top shock screw without having to remove the inner fenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes sense. I thought it was to dissuade people from running a different body other than the ultra expensive Phoenix body.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:38 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Decided to ditch the expensive and not so pretty Phoenix body. Ended up mounting and painting a PL Jeep body I had sitting for over a year that was suppose to go on the Basecamp. Took a pic with my son's wheels mounted up from his TRX4 Sport.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:05 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Lookin good, Valor!
Old 07-04-2023, 11:21 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Lookin good, Valor!
Thank you sir. Painting bodies is not my thing but patience goes a long way. Overall pleased with how it turned out with the matte fenders and roof.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:46 AM   #40

Thanks for the Inspiration
Attached Images

SkipnStones is offline   Reply With Quote

Proline Chevy K-10 on Phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
80' Proline Chevy CrawlinMike Paint and Body 0 04-18-2015 09:37 PM
New Proline Chevy Wade Paint and Body 11 04-13-2015 04:01 PM
Proline 80 Chevy Pick-up AgentXTC Paint and Body 0 03-21-2011 08:20 PM
Proline '80 Chevy pickup wb? k5 pti Paint and Body 1 10-04-2007 04:53 PM