Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Red Oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Default Red Oil?

Finally building my Ultra and on page 6 it shows the rear axle housing with a "red oil fill plug" that screws into the housing. There isn't one for the front axle.

There's no mention of this oil (that I can find) elsewhere in the manual yet it does instruct to apply grease to the gear set, as it should.

Anyone get what this is all about? Is 'red oil' (Marvel Mystery Oil perhaps?) supposed to be poured into the housing through this hole? I'm not inclined to do that. I would just tighten the plug in the hole and ignore the instruction about the red oil at this point, unless anyone has alternative words of wisdom.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Red Oil?

The fill plug is only intended to represent 1:1 Currie axles. Not meant to be functional, and no oil should be added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by twade984; 05-26-2022 at 03:35 PM.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Red Oil?

i could be wrong but i think those fill holes are just there for looks
and the red is just the color of the cap
if i had to guess anyway
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Yep, as stated above. The red cap is just for looks. Just make sure the gears are greased. I use marine grease and have had great luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:31 PM   #5
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Just for looks - OK. Lol! So it's not about red oil, it's an oil fill cap that happens to be red in color (and what a surprise, it is actually red!).

Thanks - that was making me a bit crazy!
Old 05-26-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I just looked up "Currie" axles and I now realize that there are real Currie axles - I had no idea. And they are in Corona, about a 30 minute drive from where I am. That's funny.

Anyway, I have to say that this Ultra kit certainly consists of top-notch components. These axle assemblies are truly impressive. I see already that the turning radius will be a bit compromised but that's OK for me for this kit. I only see light trail prodding in its future.

The Phoenix kit - now that's going to be an entirely different story. But that's for another day!
Old 05-26-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
I just looked up "Currie" axles and I now realize that there are real Currie axles - I had no idea. And they are in Corona, about a 30 minute drive from where I am. That's funny.

Anyway, I have to say that this Ultra kit certainly consists of top-notch components. These axle assemblies are truly impressive. I see already that the turning radius will be a bit compromised but that's OK for me for this kit. I only see light trail prodding in its future.

The Phoenix kit - now that's going to be an entirely different story. But that's for another day!

When I built mine I ended up removing the spacers they tell you to install on the screws used for steering stops, that gave a little more steering angle, and didn’t seem like it would cause too much stress on the axle shafts.

The f10 axles on the Phoenix have much improved steering angle

Old 05-26-2022, 04:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
When I built mine I ended up removing the spacers they tell you to install on the screws used for steering stops, that gave a little more steering angle, and didn’t seem like it would cause too much stress on the axle shafts.
I removed those spacers too, havent broken and axle yet
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
Ots
Quarry Creeper

So mjensen in another thread pictured a real pro way to adapt a longer motor to the chassis, but not having those kind of resources available I did the "Barbaric" install picture below:

Name:  Ultra Chassis.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  93.9 KB

Cut the drive and use a coupler to extend its length and install a couple of spacers on the other two shafts.

Hobbywing FOC 1200 KV for the Ultra!
Old 05-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
So mjensen in another thread pictured a real pro way to adapt a longer motor to the chassis, but not having those kind of resources available I did the "Barbaric" install picture below:

Attachment 400386

Cut the drive and use a coupler to extend its length and install a couple of spacers on the other two shafts.

Hobbywing FOC 1200 KV for the Ultra!

Seems effective

You can also remove the red cap from the end of the motor and trim a couple of the ribs from the trans case and those will fit.

Red Oil? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lucas Oil Red "N" Tacky safe on plastics? NeoPyro General Crawlers 13 05-12-2021 10:39 AM
motor oil as a shock oil? Mr.JayDeeM General Crawlers 10 09-02-2012 10:59 PM
best shock oil and gear oil j4k3 Axial SCX-10 2 07-26-2010 12:48 PM