Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: VP Phoenix #2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default VP Phoenix #2

I've enjoyed my first Phoenix so much, Proline Chevy K-10 on Phoenix I took advantage of the recent sale and did what any rational RCer would do... got me another

I thought I'd share some details of the build for those wanting something "not stock". Not being a fan of the stock body style, I traded with a friend and got a Proline Power Wagon (black) https://www.prolineracing.com/produc...PRO349918.html.

The location of the stock battery tray and dig servo would preclude using that body, so I went in search of an alternative mounting location and figured the passenger side tray was the logical choice. A 90 degree mount from eBay and a 20mm threaded rod (to replace the stock pushrod) made this possible.

A shortly 2000mah battery pack fits next to the steering servo and brings the C of G forward.

I wanted oversize wheels and got the idea from someone else here to go with 2.2 wheels (no-name Amazon) and old school Losi Rock Claws.

I used the original body film as a mask to cut away the hood area and hit it with flat clear to break up all that glossy black.

Not yet sure what I'll do in the back, I might just leave it all minimalist, but for now just added some gold accents to the fuel cell bolts.

This has been a fun project and I'm looking fwd to the test drive this weekend. What do you guys think??

Last edited by JimInMiami; 11-21-2022 at 09:15 AM. Reason: fix error
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2022, 06:22 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: VP Phoenix #2

That sure is purdee! Nice idea on the flat black on the hood!

I love the look of the rear just the way it is. If it were me, I'd leave the rear end alone. The only thing I might do is add the Rock Pirates RC rear shock towers in gold. That would set it off!

I have the RPRC gold towers on my GK-Ecto build and I love them!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post

I love the look of the rear just the way it is. If it were me, I'd leave the rear end alone. The only thing I might do is add the Rock Pirates RC rear shock towers in gold. That would set it off!

I have the RPRC gold towers on my GK-Ecto build and I love them!
Thanks for the kind words, Brian. I didn't know Rock Pirates offered the shock towers in gold, that is a most excellent idea!
Old 11-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Brian. I didn't know Rock Pirates offered the shock towers in gold, that is a most excellent idea!

Your welcome! Here is what they look like on my GK-Ecto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #5
Slow is the new Fast

Very nicely done Jim! The Gloss/Matte black combo is slicker than oil. My incline would be to add rear bumper and some sort of custom piece that fits neatly behind the cab and covers over the exposed running board.

Those are 2.2's? Funny how photos can affect perception. They dont loook that big to me
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Very nicely done Jim! The Gloss/Matte black combo is slicker than oil. My incline would be to add rear bumper and some sort of custom piece that fits neatly behind the cab and covers over the exposed running board.

Those are 2.2's? Funny how photos can affect perception. They dont loook that big to me
Thanks Smog, any suggestion on a small rear bumper that would work? I think I'll order the shock towers that Brian (@B-MOW71) suggested as that will add some nice functional bling. I did think of trimming the exposed side trays, but got lazy and they did provide a handy place to instal the power switch.

Yeah, the 2.2's don't look out of place maybe cause the Bear Claws are "only" 5.1 inches so not that much more from the usual 4.75" tires normally used on 1/10 rigs.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 11-18-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Your welcome! Here is what they look like on my GK-Ecto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, that does it, order sent to Rock Pirates!
Old 11-19-2022, 09:49 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Yup, that does it, order sent to Rock Pirates!
I honostly don't know what is out there. Personally, I would just make a small, square bumper. I am sure if you looked at some of the lcg fabricators you would find options pre-fabbed
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

First test drive yesterday. Methinks the lower overall weight and forward C of G improved the performance of an already great truck

Tho to be honest the oversize "cheater" tires might also have something to do with it.

Pics taken at Markham Park crawler course: https://markhampark.com/rc-truck-and-crawler-course/

Old 11-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I thought I'd share some details of the build for those wanting something "not stock". What do you guys think??
That looks Sweet!

I'm a fan of the "non Stock" look too. It's nice to see an ALT body on a Phoenix.

I agree with B-Mow,,,, Some Gold towers in the back would really add some color balance.

Those stock shock towers look pretty cool (IMO). You might try just painting them gold to match the rims.....
Redharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redharris View Post
That looks Sweet!

I'm a fan of the "non Stock" look too. It's nice to see an ALT body on a Phoenix.

I agree with B-Mow,,,, Some Gold towers in the back would really add some color balance.

Those stock shock towers look pretty cool (IMO). You might try just painting them gold to match the rims.....
Thanks Red, the gold shock towers have been ordered and I think they'll add some functional "bling" to the rear end.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

A Little bling added per your suggestion, Sir! I does set off the rear nicely IMO.

Rock Pirates only had the silver ones in stock, so not to wait, I got the silver ones and just spray painted.

She now has a nice tail

Last edited by JimInMiami; 05-23-2023 at 02:56 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 11-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Yes sir, that is a sexy rear end!

RPRC shock towers look great! I should have mentioned that the gold towers were probably going to be hard to find. At the time I bought mine, Operation 11 Charlie teamed up with Rock Pirates and made the special gold towers. They were a limited edition gold that were sold on Veterans Day 2021 and all proceeds went to Operation 11 Charlie to help out our Veterans.

I'm hoping since the gold towers are still listed on their website that they will be available again in the future.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes sir, that is a sexy rear end!

RPRC shock towers look great! I should have mentioned that the gold towers were probably going to be hard to find. At the time I bought mine, Operation 11 Charlie teamed up with Rock Pirates and made the special gold towers. They were a limited edition gold that were sold on Veterans Day 2021 and all proceeds went to Operation 11 Charlie to help out our Veterans. Thanks... and no worries, painting them up took but a few minutes

I'm hoping since the gold towers are still listed on their website that they will be available again in the future.
Indeed, they list other colors that are also available from time-to-time

VP Phoenix #2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to phoenix SCX10FAN Arizona 5 02-21-2013 12:33 PM
phoenix az theacura Arizona 3 12-04-2007 10:42 PM
Phoenix get together Don Arizona 11 09-05-2006 12:41 AM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM
Phoenix get together 8/13/05 yodasands Arizona 39 08-17-2005 11:26 AM