Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: What to do. Won't stop breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #61
Suck it up!

Default Re: What to do. Won't stop breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Not the Clodbuster!
How's the aftermarket bolt-on parts availability on that? I don't want to get my hands dirty...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

I don't own an Ascender yet, but I do own a Twin Hammer (basically the same axles) and a couple of my buddies have the Ascender.

Just an opinion, but from what I can tell with these rigs the steering angle that they can achieve is too much for the axles to take, especially under power like trying to right your truck from a roll over.

Setting the steering endpoints to a more realistic angle can only help.
Again just my thoughts on this.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #63
cgw

Got my HD r&p's installed this past Friday that Rich sent me, then took it out and broke my left front CV. I have my end points set to limit the steering throw, nothing was bound up, and I'm not running much power to it at all. It was just a basic small climb on a trail run. Guess its time to get back on the phone with Horizon again. All said though, I still love this truck
cgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

OK, last night I pulled off my diff covers to inspect my gears. I built mine as per the manual, one shim each side. I put a generous amount of the supplied black grease on the gears when I built it. I used the brace on the diff cover as well.

I run a 20T motor on a axial ESC with brake set at 50%. Battery is a 5000mah 50C short pack. I've got about 40 hours of run time on it up and down some gnarly rocky stuff as well as doing a few backwards wheelies.

gears all looked great, no wear or broken teeth. There is some slop in the ring and pinion mesh. But everything looks fine. I relubed the gears with some 50K diff oil I had and put it all back together. My question for those breaking gears, did your diff cover have the 2 tabs on it that support the spool/bearings? Or did you cut them off? Mine are on still.
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #65
cgw

Another big thumbs up to Rich and the rest of Horizon! I called them yesterday at lunch, new front CV's are on their way to me
Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXMASHER View Post
I think sometimes guys are expecting too much out of these rigs, especially in stock form. Stuff breaks! 5700kv on lipo in a truck meant for climbing obstacles in the woods? Can't understand why you wouldn't EXPECT breakage to occur. That motor gets too hot when ran in a Slash! I got my Ascender about two weeks (as far as I can tell) before they all started coming with the HD gears and beefier drive lines. Running on 3s, 35t RC4WD Boost motor, and MIP driveshafts. I expected the pinion to break. And it did. Big deal! Contacted Horizon and free HD pinions and ring gears were in the mail in two business days. Think about it like this, if you want the entire truck to hold up like it was made of Vanquish parts front to back, how much do you think it would cost? If nothing had to be upgraded or fixed, half the fun of the hobby would be gone for me. Yeah, it is disappointing to have a run cut short, so bring spares and tools along. This always happens on a new platform. Hell, it took me five years of upgrading to get my Slash to stay in one piece during a bash session! The same can almost be said for my Wraith. If you run 'em hard, they're gonna break!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter
I never once said that i expected it to be perfect if you read my post im not complaining about it at all the way i run my rigs i know they are going to break. Its the same way i run my 1:1 only alot cheaper to fix. All im saying is that this is happening to enough people that it should warrent and aftermarket hd version of the front cv if its from horizon great. If its from vp great. Sombody just beeds to start making on
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I've got probably 20 hours on my first-batch kit. Half that before the HD gears/driveshafts came out. I still haven't broken anything and I'm not exactly easy on equipment.

The trick is I only run a 55 turn (thinking about bumping it up to a 35 turn after this motor dies) on 2 cell.

The reason the truck in question won't stop breaking is that the owner took a 1.9 scale truck and turned it into a 2.2 overpowered mudtruck. Maybe a different platform would be more suitable for such use?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #68
RCC Addict

I run mine 2.2 ripsaws every other row cut out. Stock gears and drive shafts. Both ring gear shims on the gear side. Original gears. 55 turn holmes motor. 3s 40C zippy lipo's with 5 Oz of wheel weight on each front wheel. No problems yet. Of course if you jump it like a short course truck it is going to break. I have all the HD stuff to put on when the time comes. Have not needed it yet. Best stock shaft drive axle I have seen yet.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

My ROC412 twisted a stock drive shaft and pulled a tooth on the pinion just crawling at very low speed and very gentle on the throttle...
Strange, since I was more throttle heavy in other parts of the trail, for more than 5 hours!
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #70
cgw

The part that most people dont get is that what breaks parts might not be the activity you're doing at the moment it breaks, but rather something that over stressed it and did the damage previously. Look at it this way:
I drive a Mercedes E55 AMG, lots of upgrades, PLUS a huge nitrous kit. I sprayed a big shot for ages and never had it go boom. One day driving down the road leaving a red light at very low throttle, she popped. Is the engine crap because it blew up at low load and low rpm, or was it because I'm a jackass and had huge shot on it for ages, causing all kinds of problems? I'm gonna go with its the fault of me driving the piss out of it and running the kit. The car is tough and overbuilt, you guys need to look at these trucks the same way. Very few of you use it for its intended purpose.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Why does everyone seem to think that im blaming the truck or horizon for this breakage the whole point is that im looking for an hd replacement. I have never once said that the ascender is junk i prefer it in every way to my scx10 which is also set up very similar. Except that the scx10 had a much larger selection of aftermarket parts, obviously because it's been out far longer. I'm simply saying that the front cvs are a weak point (I'm not the only one breaking this part) and yes i no ive got to much power and to much tire blah blah blah. Im not the only one out there that wants to build theyre ascender in to a bad @$$ scale mud truck with too much power and too much tire. The scx10 im sure had similiar complaints when it first came out. All the ascender needs is better aftermarket selection and i think a good place to start would be hd cv axels. I dont understand why everyone is so againts this idea
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

What to do. Won't stop breaking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking axles! Hacksaw707 Formula Offroad 9 05-05-2012 10:19 AM
anyone breaking universals twisted bender Axial XR10 37 01-11-2011 08:15 AM
Breaking Down house_Fly Chit Chat 5 12-12-2009 08:53 AM
Breaking News! jason Chit Chat 17 09-17-2009 07:49 PM