Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tamiya Tundra on Ascender?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tamiya Tundra on Ascender?

Haven't seen any posts on putting a tamiya tundra body on the ascender. Would love to try it. Anyone have the body and an ascender that can mock it up? Looks feasible but may be just to small.
lcbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tamiya Tundra on Ascender?

The tamiya hilift bodies are small. I have one on my SCX10 and those axles are almost too wide.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

When you narrow up the axles by the maximum 12mm, they end up the same width as the RC4WD Yota axles (180mm). The Tundra body is 216mm wide so you may be able to tuck the wheels in the fenders depending on wheel and tire choice.

The Tundra's wheelbase is 311mm which is a few mm short of the stock wheelbase of 314mm. Custom links or creative use of spacers will be required.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
The tamiya hilift bodies are small. I have one on my SCX10 and those axles are almost too wide.
Yes, they look good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
When you narrow up the axles by the maximum 12mm, they end up the same width as the RC4WD Yota axles (180mm). The Tundra body is 216mm wide so you may be able to tuck the wheels in the fenders depending on wheel and tire choice.

The Tundra's wheelbase is 311mm which is a few mm short of the stock wheelbase of 314mm. Custom links or creative use of spacers will be required.
Nice, it's very do-able either way with stock or narrowed Ascender axles depending on the look you want.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies. Was afraid body was slightly to small. Def want to be able to tuck, but have never trimmed axles or adjusted links before. Also afraid would flip easier on side hills.

BUT...really like the look and haven't seen on an ascender. Have to dig a little to see if I can get some tips on modifying everything.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

There isn't that many builds with the full Tundra body around because its $150+ to put together a new Tundra body. Most builds are cab only truggies due to the cost of the body.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, they look good though.

They sure do! With some small 1.9s and full droop they look like an artric super duty!

I easily have $100+ into my F350 HiLift body and dont have all the pieces for it.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Actually truggy tundra not a bad idea...would probably still have to shorten axles though. Would axial honcho bed work you think? Who else makes them?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbsc View Post
Thanks for the replies. Was afraid body was slightly to small. Def want to be able to tuck, but have never trimmed axles or adjusted links before. Also afraid would flip easier on side hills.

BUT...really like the look and haven't seen on an ascender. Have to dig a little to see if I can get some tips on modifying everything.
Set it on the chassis and see how it looks, remove or raise/lower body posts and post a pic. You can always put it on and cut axles later if you want, Ascender front and rear axle housings are pretty cheap and my LHS has them in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
There isn't that many builds with the full Tundra body around because its $150+ to put together a new Tundra body. Most builds are cab only truggies due to the cost of the body.
Yes, lots of money for styrene body. Detail is great though.

[QUOTE=Deerhurst;5257496]They sure do! With some small 1.9s and full droop they look like an artric super duty!

I easily have $100+ into my F350 HiLift body and dont have all the pieces for it.[/QUOTE

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbsc View Post
Actually truggy tundra not a bad idea...would probably still have to shorten axles though. Would axial honcho bed work you think? Who else makes them?
Yes, maybe. Honcho bed will work if you're willing to cut it up a little too. I've cut up and modded my Honcho body several times on my Axial, it's easy.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Natedog;5257596]Set it on the chassis and see how it looks, remove or raise/lower body posts and post a pic. You can always put it on and cut axles later if you want, Ascender front and rear axle housings are pretty cheap and my LHS has them in

don't have the body yet, nor the honcho bed. May just have to go for it. I'll post pics if I do!

BTW, anyone have a honch bed they want to part with? Or tundra cab? 😉👍

Tamiya Tundra on Ascender? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"White Python" 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5 4dr Leer Cab Built with Tamiya Tundra clarketian 1.9 Scale Rigs 107 01-25-2016 05:16 AM