Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: New vaterra 1.9 blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New vaterra 1.9 blazer

This thing looks badass. Panhard and all. Looks like a very worth while kit for a good price. I'm going to have to get one to see whats up with it.

VATERRA 1/10 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Ascender 4WD Kit (VTR03023) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New vaterra 1.9 blazer

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...ml#post4857882
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah saw it ar Corys place ( RPP ) some houres ago, nice to see a new face in the game
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It has some neat features but I won't be getting one. I have my doubts about the ring and pinion holding up and that's a huge issue for the way I drive.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Not to mention od and ud gears.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I saw these too, TNcrawler sent me a link to them. The new SCX10? I'm wont be getting one yet. I'd like to see the section for them and user's wear and tear opinions. But they do have some cool features and the steering is crayzee! White trash what's up with the pinion? I'll have to re-read....
marcb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb527 View Post
White trash what's up with the pinion? I'll have to re-read....

The pinion shaft design is great and I think it could hold up to some real abuse. Its the small pot metal A ring and pinion gears themselves that I have my doubts about.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The pinion shaft design is great and I think it could hold up to some real abuse. Its the small pot metal A ring and pinion gears themselves that I have my doubts about.
Of course none of know about the quality of materials that are used with the Ascender, but don't you think you're assuming too much?

The replacement and option ring and pinion set are the same (for now) but they appear to look very well constructed. A LOT nicer than what comes in the Axial RTRs. I'm sure it will be just like the RC4WD Yota axles, make sure that the gear mesh is right.

VATERRA Spool 24T and Pinion Gear 13T: ASN (VTR232073) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I like the body it would look good on SCX10 chassis, I would run a bowtie when I get tired of my Jeep body.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Damn, just what I need another crawler, already looking forward to the yeti, and now this.. This looks awesome love the alum links and panhard.. And the cms up front. Can't wait to see it in action..
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

As I've posted elsewhere, I think that it is absolutely FANTASTIC that Axial now has some competition for the SCX10 (as much as I love the SCX10).

However, one thing I'm not sold on is the price. I DON'T think $319.99 (Horizon Hobbies site) is a good price for a kit without electronics. Now, I admit they'll probably still sell like hotcakes just because they are new and an alternative to the 29th variation of the SCX10 with a Jeep body.

I know that there are tons of people that moan about everything being too expensive. They expect manufacturers to sell a good quality RC kit for $50. But sorry, $320 for this kit with no electronics IS too much money. If it was $275, and ideally $250, then I would say they were really on to something.
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousOne View Post
As I've posted elsewhere, I think that it is absolutely FANTASTIC that Axial now has some competition for the SCX10 (as much as I love the SCX10).

However, one thing I'm not sold on is the price. I DON'T think $319.99 (Horizon Hobbies site) is a good price for a kit without electronics. Now, I admit they'll probably still sell like hotcakes just because they are new and an alternative to the 29th variation of the SCX10 with a Jeep body.

I know that there are tons of people that moan about everything being too expensive. They expect manufacturers to sell a good quality RC kit for $50. But sorry, $320 for this kit with no electronics IS too much money. If it was $275, and ideally $250, then I would say they were really on to something.
A Recon G6 kit retails for $299 without electronics, without aluminum steering links, without aluminum upper links, without CMS, without steel transmission gears, without CV front shafts, etc, etc.

For $20 more than a Axial kit with tons of upgrades that DO NOT come with a Axial kit, I think it's a more than fair price.

I am sure once it's out, it will be cheaper with coupons, just like every other RC kit out there.

I for one....wil be buying one as soon as I can get my hands on one. RPP told me sometime in Oct.

Last edited by HDMM; 08-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:

The price seems in line with other Axial offerings (Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, and G6) and has some nice things those kits lack. Sub-$300 would be great though - can't argue with that.
sporkfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I see your point with the comparison to some of the Axial kits, but the fact of the matter is THEY are overpriced too. Especially given the fact that Axial has long, LONG made back their development costs for the SCX10 and now all they have to cover is material, manufacturing, and of course, licensing fees to Jeep (snicker).

I suppose one can't blame Vaterra for pricing things in the same ball park as their competitors - I guess the point is they're all charging too much for the kits, IMO. Oh well, what are you gonna do?
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
I see your point with the comparison to some of the Axial kits, but the fact of the matter is THEY are overpriced too. Especially given the fact that Axial has long, LONG made back their development costs for the SCX10 and now all they have to cover is material, manufacturing, and of course, licensing fees to Jeep (snicker).

I suppose one can't blame Vaterra for pricing things in the same ball park as their competitors - I guess the point is they're all charging too much for the kits, IMO. Oh well, what are you gonna do?
No doubt.....most kits on the market are a little overboard on price these days.

But as the old saying goes......

"You wanna play......your gonna pay"
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Exactly the concerns I have with this rig! While I can appreciate the GC with the smaller housings, the one piece ring gear/spool, and the pinion shaft/CVD cup setup, I do worry about the small size of the ring gear itself. Not to mention, the 1.85:1 axle ratio will mean the suspension's geometry BETTER be dead on to eliminate torque twist.

Wish RC manufacturer's would push toward axles with a 4:1 or better ratio. But...small pinions break, large ring gears cause a loss in ground clearance, and, and, and...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #17

I agree torque twist will be a issue but as for holding up im sure aftermarket will support a hardened better gear ratio gearset by use of a really small pinion with a large as possible ring... as for price to get a scx upgraded to these specs such as all steel gear tranny and panhard CMS alone plus a 2 speed available tranny and add on getting this sharp of steering your looking at way more money than this kit cost..plus any seriouse hobbiest would throw away the stock electronics in a rtr anyway..the only rc I have stock electronics in is my rtr honcho becausse its for my wife lol.. stock is too much for her even with a 17t pinion to slow her down..
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #18

Ive been saving fot a TF2 but now I may want this instead??? I just love blazers and cant think of a better decision vaterra could have made... has anyone seen axials quick response to this the dodge ram. I think itscthere most ridiculous scx yet.prolines ram body is better...axial totally ruined it for me and im a dye hard mopar fan and seen it and was so excited then I watched the video and was so so pissed that they are even calling it a scale dodge ram...why wouldnt they go all out like the wrangler rubicon......
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote

New vaterra 1.9 blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Vaterra.... 666 General Crawlers 134 02-12-2014 12:03 AM
Using a Blazer CGR interior inside a 'full top' PLR Blazer body-Has anyone done this? BeeRC Paint and Body 4 10-31-2009 03:37 PM
Nascarkeith's Proline Blazer CGR Bodied Blazer Wheely King nascarkeith HPI Wheely King 6 10-30-2009 02:49 AM