Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Vaterra K5 Blazer -How will you build yours?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Vaterra K5 Blazer -How will you build yours?

This is my first kit and first 1.9 scaler. Going simple with a Holmes 35t motor, Tekin ESC, and Hitec servo. I have the stock Spektrum 410 receiver that came with my DX4S, so I'll use that as well.
I picked up some RC4WD Mickey Thompson Classic internal beadlock wheels today at the LHS. I had planned on buying VP wheels, but these are so different from my other 2.2 VP stuff, I had to get 'em.

Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 1.9" Internal Beadlock Wheel
Black n Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #2

Default Re: Vaterra K5 Blazer -How will you build yours?

Im hoping to get one..dont understand why more people aint tried the duratrax de10 speed control with the sensored dtx combo motors avaliable in a 8.5t,10.5t,13.5t and I think 17.5 turn??? I went with the 10.5 turn on my scx build and also have the stock honcho rtr.well this duratrax is so much smoother and faster than stock and im geared way lower with 13/43 hardened spiral ring and pinion front and rear 16tooth pinion and stock spur still much faster than stock and so so smooth.zero cogging its a excellent setup and the de10 has like 28 adjustment steps but very simple with the seprate program box...limitex to 2s is the only downfall but no heat at all so I run 3s whenever I want still no heat well it has got up to 108f on a real hot day trying to get it to heat up By running full throttle up a grass hill over and over...this is my official scale truck combo for all my scale builds but I will go with the 8.5 turn next time so I wont be tempted to run 3s or advanced timing...guys trust me, try these combos.....
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

This is turning out to be my first big dollar build. I am going with a Holmes Hobby 35t torque master with matching esc, Savox waterproof servo, Max amps 3s shorty pack, RC4WD Dick Cepek wheels, and Interco Irok tires wrapped around Crawler Innovation dual stage foams. I can't wait to get going on this build!
ed701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Honestly on mine I'm thinking of ditching the axles for a set of narrowed ar60. Should give the Dana 60 look and the body is big enough to be scale. Topless caged interior will also be a must.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
Honestly on mine I'm thinking of ditching the axles for a set of narrowed ar60. Should give the Dana 60 look and the body is big enough to be scale. Topless caged interior will also be a must.
I am also becoming skeptical of the axle's performance characteristics. (I assumed that's why you plan on ditching them) But to me the scale sized pumpkin was a major selling point, might as well get something else if your not using the axles. That's just my point of view.

Sticking to the subject of the thread, I already have a Spektrum 6100 and Castle BEC ready to go. I would have preferred a HiTec 5954, it's $10 cheaper and slightly better numbers, but the Spektrum was what the LHS had in stock, so we'll see how it does. My power system decision hasn't been finalized, but I will probably go with Tekin, 35T hand wound, and ESC. I have several 2100-2500mah 3S batteries that I will use.

I have Proline Super Swampers, RC4WD IROKs, or Pitbulls I could throw under it, but I'm planning on liking the stock tires. Problem is I can't really afford another set of beadlocks at the moment, and if I glue them to the stock wheels, I better get the weight right. In the vids I've seen it seems to do really well with no weights, so I'm thinking of keeping it light. Maybe 4oz in the fronts, and 2 in the rears.

I think I might save the body for the shelf, and get a Proline Jeep body to bash on the trails. Other than that, I plan to build as per the instructions, and tune it from there, maybe look into stiffer rear springs if torque twist is a problem
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

My LHS has one with my name on it (as soon as he gets it)! I think I'm gonna try the Castle SV3 + RC4WD 35T + Spektrum DX3s + 2s Lipo for power. I already have the lipos (of course), the radio, and the motor. My dealer also has the esc waiting for me. I'm gonna throw a TBG lexan interior under the body along with some Axial Wraith LED's and a Pro-Line roof rack w/scale goodies. I may go Pit Bulls for the tires or see how my new Rockcrushers look under it mounted on some Vanquish wheels. Looks like a great truck. I can't wait to get it!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

As for the axles I think they will have their place in the scale world but like most of my over the top projects it will end up super heavy. Plus I have 3/4 ton running gear on my 1:1 k5 so it will be turned into what I want my real one to eventually be. Plus I figure someone will be dying for a set of vaterra axles.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Gotta get one...going to go with HH 13t Crawlmaster Pro and CC SV3. Also got the urge to build a custom roll cage and partially remove the top the way the originals could do. May try the stock wheel and tire package first. Not going to pour big power to it so axles aren't a concern for me.....yet.

joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Waiting on my preorder to ship but have been gathering parts for it.

Various Twin Hammers trans parts to convert to 2 spd.
Castle SV3 and 10a BEC
Tekin T45HD
small 2 and 3s batteries, not sure if I like full size shorty packs for the driving I do and already have tons of ~2000mah in various voltages. Ideally I'll run my 2100mah 3s as I believe these are about half the width of a shorty pack.
Hitec 7955
Proline XJ, I kinda wanted to run the blazer but 3 people in my local club (probably 8 total members) preordered one of these as well. I don't want to be out there with 3 of the exact same trucks.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 09-22-2014 at 04:14 AM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Mine will be here tomorrow! Woohoo!

Hitec 7954 for steering
Castle MMP
Tekin Roc412 3100kV
Novak HV BEC
Spektrum DX4S w/ SR410
Dynamite 4000 50C 7.4 shorty packs

I'll be building it with the 2-speed so I already have that stuff waiting for it. I haven't decided on the wheels and such yet. I think I'm going to try my RC4WD Classic Locks, but I'm not sure. I'm toying with getting some Robby Gordon's for it instead, but I want to get it built first. I'll also be setting it up with a servo winch since they made a nice spot on the frame for it, but I haven't decided what servo I'm going to use for that yet.

Last edited by metalry101; 09-23-2014 at 05:15 PM.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

At first, I thought abouut building mine pretty much stock, with ordenary components I already have.
But with so much time left until we see the Ascender in Europe, I keep on buying stuff, so it will have:
Spektrum DX4S
Holmes Hobbies ESC and 55T motor
Turnigy 2S shorty or SLS 3S lipos
Castle BEC
Motoworx wheels
And some other things I'll be buying to make the wait more entertaining.
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Bone stock with a 45t motor Always like to run a rig a few times to get a feel of what needs changing before throwing money at it.

I'm a ford guy, so it'll eventually have a blue oval on top ilo the K5, then all will be right with the world.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #13

I like to see some reviews and stuff before jumping in, but if it ends up being good stuff I kind of want to Frankenstein it with my SCX10 if they're somewhat compatible. I like the looks of the Ascenders axles better, so as long as they're not a step down from the SCX10s axles I'll put those on my SCX10, maybe the bumpers too. Im also very interested in the 2 speed tranny when that comes out. I've also been mulling over an idea for an experimental vehicle that could benefit from the adjustable frame.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Stock at first to see how it works then leaf springs and a new body.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

x2 on leaf springs. keeping the body, it looks pretty good for lexan.
donny8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Gotta get one...going to go with HH 13t Crawlmaster Pro and CC SV3. Also got the urge to build a custom roll cage and partially remove the top the way the originals could do. May try the stock wheel and tire package first. Not going to pour big power to it so axles aren't a concern for me.....yet.

FYI- Just ordered mine through RPP Hobby - with Sept discount code including free shipping it was $289.00 out the door! Thought I would share.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Just paid for mine at CKRC. I already have spares i want to try on the Ascender as i really have no idea where to start. Whats waiting for it are -- MMP, Roc412 1200kv, castle bec, turnigy high torque servo, 3s batt, a vp lighhtbar, 1.9 omf wheels and growlers.

I think my motor's too slow for it, what do you think?
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Just go mine in the other night.

Novak Crusher/21.5 combo, and 2-3s most likely 2s. Running Proline XL TSLs or RC4WD Mudthrashers.
Drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Bone stock with a 45t motor Always like to run a rig a few times to get a feel of what needs changing before throwing money at it.

I'm a ford guy, so it'll eventually have a blue oval on top ilo the K5, then all will be right with the world.
Stock RTR for now, see what I want to change after running it for awhile...so far I'm loving it stock. I'll get second set of tires and as of yet unknown beadlocks, other than HR aluminum diff covers, shim the diffs, lower the body couple holes and trim the wheelwells that's about it.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:35 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Right now I'm stock running the vaterra esc (actually surprisingly decent) and a axial 27T and integy cnc beadlocks. Also have a 3racing winch in the bumper. My light kit killed it's self again so may not see lights on the front for a little while.

Plans, different lid. Unsure of what yet. Also it needs a Holmes motor and at least 3s lipo.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra K5 Blazer -How will you build yours? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra twin hammers trophy truck build sporties470 Vaterra Twin Hammers 69 12-07-2014 09:41 PM
New vaterra 1.9 blazer Sheepdawg23wm Vaterra Ascender 17 09-04-2014 04:11 PM
Vaterra Slickrock 1/18 BUILD Floppy_Bacon 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 02-16-2014 12:11 AM
My Vaterra Slickrock build Assault General Crawlers 1 02-15-2014 10:05 PM