RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Things to know before you start building your Ascender... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/507799-things-know-before-you-start-building-your-ascender.html)

jeepgeek2002 02-12-2015 04:50 AM

Re: Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

i followed instructions of one on both sides.. i was told i should have doubled them up.. we ll see.

Rich Trujillo 02-12-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanthrax (Post 5143106)
This came with my Ascender kit:
https://i.imgur.com/DQ61pUX.jpg

That same kit also had the HD pinions and drive shafts in it by the way.
And I've read posts here from others that advised to put both shims on the gear side of the spool. Which should it be?

Whoa, i don't recall providing that sheet to our vendor. If anything it should be one on each side or you can run 2 on the "ring" side to push it closer to the pinion gear. Either will work but the 2 on one side will be a little tighter and eventually "break in".

I'll get with the vendor about this sheet.

Sorry for the confusion

Jimbow 02-18-2015 07:38 PM

I tried the search. What's the length of the pan hard bar? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepgeek2002 02-24-2015 05:17 AM

disregard the question marks.. just follow this:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/...psj8rqapoo.jpg

kiatkla 03-02-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo (Post 5144120)
Whoa, i don't recall providing that sheet to our vendor. If anything it should be one on each side or you can run 2 on the "ring" side to push it closer to the pinion gear. Either will work but the 2 on one side will be a little tighter and eventually "break in".

I'll get with the vendor about this sheet.

Sorry for the confusion

This shim I removed it and put Shims 8X11X0.2. On right side. That perfect it..for small size just maintain 1 shim with kit.

RABIDFOX 03-26-2015 08:07 AM

On the front, when I got the suspension built, I notice that the axle is slightly off center when fully uncompressed and goes back to center when compressed about half way. It appears to be because of the pan hard bar. Is that normal?

EeePee 03-26-2015 08:11 AM

100% normal. An arc is created by a panhard bar, axle has to follow it.

RABIDFOX 03-26-2015 08:39 AM

Great, thanks.

RABIDFOX 03-31-2015 07:38 PM

After building the shocks as per the manual, I was not happy with how hard they were. I drilled out the almost non existent holes in the Pistons and added 35 weight shock fluid. Made a world of difference and they are pretty smooth too. Also, get some Green Slime. I use it for all my shock builds. Be generous with it on the lower O rings and on the cap O ring. It will save you the leaky shock blues.... "thumbsup"

biggreen96 04-06-2015 05:15 PM

Hi Rich just got my Ascender kit from my LHS Hodgins Drug and started in on it. I'm putting the slipper together and the plates on either side of the spur gear aren't quite right. When I slide the first plate (VTR232023) on to the input shaft coming out the trans (instruction A-7) it doesn't sit correctly and gives the rest of the slipper assembly a wobble. I've tried both plates, same issue. I can't tell if it's the plates or the input shaft seat- the shaft itself spins straight, no wobble at all.

Thanks,

Chris

fletch696 05-03-2015 06:23 PM

Are there any tips for mounting the grill and headlights?

alan.murray.7393 05-09-2015 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fletch696 (Post 5216894)
Are there any tips for mounting the grill and headlights?

before drilling make sure you mark the holes out properly, start with a small drill and work bigger will other drill bits. you want the middle 3 holes pretty snug.. don't go over the width of the spacers.

Although it mentions masking up the headlight areas I actually cut mines out using the rear of the light buckets as a template.

I find a bit of glue near the edges helps as well if your not intending on taking it off again, adds a bit of rigidity to the front.

just a pity theres no rear light buckets included with the kit, I had to build my own from plasticard.. worth the effort.

Al..

Taurus84 05-25-2015 10:09 AM

So whats the best way to install the shims on spool gear in step B-3? I have the HD shafts and pinion in my kit.
2 on ring side, or one on each side? The little paper says two on the gear side, which i think is not the best way to do it ..

Cult Hero 05-28-2015 12:11 AM

I am curious and confused now too. Seems like rich is saying the opposite of the supplemental paper. I built it with two on one side.

Taurus84 05-28-2015 12:21 AM

I ignored the paper which came with the kit, as Rich said in this post and put one shim per side as he suggested.

rustneversleeps 06-01-2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo (Post 4901557)
100mm x 50mm (3.94" x 1.97")

This common name for the battery that will fit is a "Shorty" pack. These are used in most 1/10th Off Road buggies.

Rich

Would it be possible to put a 137mmx50mm in there some how..
to me this is the common size.."thumbsup"

Taurus84 06-01-2015 11:46 AM

You have always the option to not install the battery tray and put your battery perpendicular to the chassis, directly to the frame .. or you can keep the baterry tray and create some sort of holder and and use the benefits of default floating battery tray .. or you can buy a new one, which has been suggested in another thread

JOETRUCKER80 07-04-2015 07:10 AM

Is there any 32p Spur gears available for the Ascender?
I am dyin to run it with 32p gears and I cant find any of the old TH Kevlar spurs.....

jdmguy760 07-04-2015 10:33 AM

Look for part number losa3913

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk 2

bimmerben 10-02-2015 08:23 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Just finished my build. Just needs electronics and color. 8)