RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Things to know before you start building your Ascender... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/507799-things-know-before-you-start-building-your-ascender.html)

EeePee 10-02-2015 08:43 PM

Re: Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

Why should we have to go to FB to look?

maxbonv 10-19-2015 05:20 AM

I finally bought this Ascender !

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...40766743_n.jpg

First impressions are very good, but it is clear that I have no intention to leave this vehicle stock.....

As has happened with my Twin Hammers (120 pages on the 3d of building in the Italian Forum Scalers and Crawlers)
now I want to start the work of development, to bring this Ascender to the maximum performance level,
without changing its nature as a Class 1 or Class 2 SORRCA.

My first question is:
to counteract the torque twist generated by the very long reduction ratios to the axles,
Vaterra Factory is planning to produce and sell bevel gears with reduction ratios differentiated?

JatoTheRipper 12-01-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo (Post 5144120)
Whoa, i don't recall providing that sheet to our vendor. If anything it should be one on each side or you can run 2 on the "ring" side to push it closer to the pinion gear. Either will work but the 2 on one side will be a little tighter and eventually "break in".

I'll get with the vendor about this sheet.

Sorry for the confusion

There's a lack of follow through here. There are multiple instances of you stating things are wrong and they'll be fixed including the "fixes" or addendums. I just received the kit directly from Horizon and it still has a lot of the issues discussed in this thread.

That's not good and it really makes me doubt Vaterra.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 12-10-2015 01:54 PM

I am a huge fan and proponent of Horizon Hobby because they have always been courteous, respectful, and they quickly rectified issues. I'm starting to lose that confidence and respect with the Vaterra Ascender. I'll explain.

I emailed the issues with my kit (most of the issues described in this thread as well as a bent 66mm link and an issue with my body shell) to the customer service department and they brushed me to the side. That's something I've never experienced from Horizon before. Their email reply is below in its entirety. As you will see, I received a blatant lie. This customer service rep is claiming nobody at Vaterra has heard of any of the issues I described despite a representative of the company, Rich Trujillo, admitting the mistakes in this thread. I even mentioned Rich and this thread in the email. As for the other issues I provided photographic proof. Absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby.

We have not received any reports from consumers who experienced the issue you have had with the Ascender.

David W
Product SupportHorizon Hobby, LLC
Hours (CST):
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sunday: 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
1-877-504-0233
RC Airplanes, Multirotors, Cars, Trucks and Helicopters | HorizonHobby

If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-877-504-0233 and reference ticket number XIT-***-*****

Natedog 12-10-2015 03:11 PM

While the customer dis-service you received is inexcusable, I've found I usually get better results by calling. Vaterra, Horizon Hobby and Rich need to get together and all work on the same page, I've found they have huge lack of communication among themselves too.

I love my Ascender, but come awn Vaterra, this is such a great platform!

JatoTheRipper 12-29-2015 07:41 AM

So I have an update to my story. The first email went to a useless Horizon rep. His response can be seen in my post above. I personally think this person needs to be sat down by a manager, reprimanded, and retrained. He obviously doesn't know what customer service means.

I sent a follow-up email and got a response from another guy. He was more than helpful and happy to help. He sent me replacements for the damaged or defective parts and they arrived quickly. This is the Horizon Hobby I'm used to and have come to love.

slow1500 01-05-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus84 (Post 5233605)
I ignored the paper which came with the kit, as Rich said in this post and put one shim per side as he suggested.

I ignored the paper as well but put both shims on the ring side. There is no binding and nearly got rid of all the slack in the drive line.

northernerbill 01-13-2016 05:20 AM

I'm "trying to achieve" wheelbase 2 @ 290mm.

So far I've only attempted to fit the front axle/links..........

BUT IT IS NOT HAVING IT!!!

The instructions show the chassis rails having 9 holes to choose your chassis length, the actual chassis has 10.
This throws the skid fitting into doubt as you have 2 possible positions, I counting from the front or rear to your desired hole.

Next up it states to fit the shorter drive shaft to the front, and used 61mm link shaft for the front lower links.
The drive shaft bottoms out before you can force the link into the skid slot. (yes I have fitted the shorter drive shaft)

So its a 3 fold dilemma, where "for sure" should the chassis rails be slid apart to, which of the holes should I use for the skid, and then which link lengths should they be. And thats just the front!!!!

If I've made a booboo Vaterra I apologise now BUT I can't see one.

turboed13b 02-01-2016 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernerbill (Post 5421888)
I'm "trying to achieve" wheelbase 2 @ 290mm.

So far I've only attempted to fit the front axle/links..........

BUT IT IS NOT HAVING IT!!!

The instructions show the chassis rails having 9 holes to choose your chassis length, the actual chassis has 10.
This throws the skid fitting into doubt as you have 2 possible positions, I counting from the front or rear to your desired hole.

Next up it states to fit the shorter drive shaft to the front, and used 61mm link shaft for the front lower links.
The drive shaft bottoms out before you can force the link into the skid slot. (yes I have fitted the shorter drive shaft)

So its a 3 fold dilemma, where "for sure" should the chassis rails be slid apart to, which of the holes should I use for the skid, and then which link lengths should they be. And thats just the front!!!!

If I've made a booboo Vaterra I apologise now BUT I can't see one.

Count the holes from the front and 61mm for bottom link is wrong use the 66mm.

315RCandScale 02-10-2016 06:25 AM

hi.. i'm just finish building vaterra ascender, and one thing bother me.. the gap of front suspension is not even (measure by chassis to shock) i double and triple check, nothing is wrong.. the rear suspension is ok. the gap is even R and L.
is it just me or anyone had this problem?

sorry my bad english..
thx

Natedog 02-10-2016 10:01 PM

You mean that the front able is slightly offset to one side? Double check all link lengths, but the nature of linked suspension with panhard bar is that the axle moves side to side slightly during suspension travel. Your English is pretty good. :)

315RCandScale 02-11-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5443940)
You mean that the front able is slightly offset to one side? Double check all link lengths, but the nature of linked suspension with panhard bar is that the axle moves side to side slightly during suspension travel. Your English is pretty good. :)

i hope this picture could help..
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...pshduk6fcr.jpg

hmmm i check the links and the manual.. all in the rigth size and places..
it just me or my ocd just kick in hehehe

sf2000xj 02-11-2016 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 315RCandScale (Post 5443998)
it just me or my ocd just kick in hehehe

It's your ocd. The nature of the design the panhard bar will shift the axle slightly left and right as the suspension cycles. It didn't bother me much on my ascender as at ride height the axle was centered with the body on but on my gelande it was pushing it to far over for my liking and one wheel stuck out so I shortened the link about 1mm to pull it back over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

315RCandScale 02-11-2016 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf2000xj (Post 5444011)
It's your ocd. The nature of the design the panhard bar will shift the axle slightly left and right as the suspension cycles. It didn't bother me much on my ascender as at ride height the axle was centered with the body on but on my gelande it was pushing it to far over for my liking and one wheel stuck out so I shortened the link about 1mm to pull it back over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hahaha.. yeaahh thx man.. my ocd can rip now.
I think the same to, maybe it just the penhard, as long the wheel doesn't stuck out bad, i guess its ok..
Thx for all your help man.. appreciate much.

Natedog 02-11-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf2000xj (Post 5444011)

X2, that is what I was referring to, thanks. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 315RCandScale (Post 5444018)
Hahaha.. yeaahh thx man.. my ocd can rip now.
I think the same to, maybe it just the penhard, as long the wheel doesn't stuck out bad, i guess its ok..
Thx for all your help man.. appreciate much.

You're welcome! "thumbsup"

Natedog 02-25-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1.55Yota (Post 4902252)
Rich,

Do you know if the stock tires will mount on rc4wd steelies?

Thanks

Yes, they will I used VP 1.9 lockrings, about $20 shipped for set of four rings. RC4WD lockrings for Proline tires might work, but I havne't tried them. "thumbsup"

RCHuffer 03-08-2016 09:30 AM

I want to say thank you for this Sticky! Great info to read when starting out, I just order the Kit and can't wait to build it.

NickDanger 03-24-2016 12:03 PM

So I just started my kit a couple of days ago (before reading any of this...). Going to have to go back at least on the front axle and re-shim it. I'm pretty slow and meticulous so most of this stuff seems easy to rectify.

My question though, is there like a "date code" or anything on the box to know when it was manufactured to make sure I have the most updated parts and instructions? Mine had the slip of paper that showed both shims on the tooth side of the ring gear, so I'm guessing it's still somewhat out of date even though it's a brand new kit.

Natedog 03-25-2016 04:07 PM

Congrats on your new Ascender! There's no date code that I've seen, all I would look for is HD driveshafts, everyone I've seen with those also has shimmed diffs (as with any new RC always check that they are shimmed correctly), and HD pinions...so you should be good. :)

northern hooligan 03-26-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickDanger (Post 5472804)
My question though, is there like a "date code" or anything on the box to know when it was manufactured to make sure I have the most updated parts and instructions?.

After toying with the idea to buy the Blazer kit ( lots of reading of Ascender VS SCX10/GMADE etc etc ), I went to the my LHS and asked the same question as above, and got " We have a few kits in stock, some could be from 2014, and a few that we just got in. roll the dice and see what happens". So, I thanked him for his time and walked out thinking " well, I didnt spend $430.00 today". I guess the wraith wont have a scaler beside it tonight. Not that I am in a rush, this build will be a winter project.