Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Sr. Product Developer

Default Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

Hi Everyone,
We're getting pretty close to shipping this kit as i start this thread. Though I try hard to make sure a kit is as perfect as possible, things do happen and things get missed. That being said, I wanted to point out a few things to make sure your experience is better.
As production progresses, there will be running changes and you may eventually find that your kit does not have any of these issues, but just in case, i'll be posting info.

Not sure exactly what link or chassis position you need? Click this link Wheel Base and Link Reference Guide

Servo Extension: Most servos on the market do not have a lead that is long enough to reach the receiver box when the receiver is installed in the box. Depending on the brand, you way need a lead that is at least 100mm long. All servo brands sell an extension and working for Horizon Hobby, i will post a link to a Spektrum extension:
Spektrum Standard Servo Extension 6" (SPMA3051)

Instruction Manual Bag:
Tool Bag: There are 2 rod ends included, these will be used later in Step F-5 for assembly of the Panhard bar.

Plastic servo mount looking thing...
Ok, this one was not supposed to be included or produced. The original plan was to use this mount to attach a servo on the front axle, however, there was not enough clearance for the links. A shorty servo MIGHT work but it will require some work. That being said this will not be included in the future.

Bag A
Step A-7: Use the included addendum to set the slipper clutch.
Step A-9: Use thread lock on the M2.5 x 10mm screws.
Step A-10: Use thread lock on all four M3 x 4mm set screws

Please notice the addendum for the Slipper settings. Keep in mind, besides the spur gear, the entire driveline is metal with the exception of the drive shafts. This will be a weak point as something has to give. With the slipper setting of 5 1/2 turns out, this setting will provide plenty of drive under most situations but help to protect the driveline under severe binds.

Bag B
Step B-2 The screw is actually a M3 x 8mm
Step B-3 Install one shim per side on the Spool before installing the 8 x 14mm bearings

Bag C
Step C-1: If you are building the wheelbase (WB4) to the kit specs of 314mm, then use the long driveshaft. This will be the same for (WB3 302mm). If you are building either of the short wheel bases (WB1 or WB2) use the short shafts which have a ring around edge of the driveshaft as highlighted in red below.

Bag D
If you are planing to run either WB1 or WB2, please use Step D-5a to use the proper mounts for the steering servo.

Bag F
Please "thumb" through Steps F-2 - F-4 to make sure you know which link sets you will need to build for your specific wheel base choice. I may update this section in assembly by wheel base groups.

Step F-3
There is a typo regarding the link size. It should be a 61mm and not a 66mm as shown in the manual.

Step F-5
I forgot to add the link size for the Panhard bar. Your kit bag will have an addendum showing you the length you will need to build. Also note that the vendor miss packed the amount of rod ends you will need but don't fret, in the Tool bag, there are 2 rod ends, those are for the panhard bar assembly.
NOTE: later versions will have the proper amounts and the tool bag will not have these ends included.

Bag G

Step G-1
Another miscount on spacers, you will find 4 spacers attached to the outside of the bag. Later run vehicles will have these 4 spacers in the bag properly.

Step G-2
If you plan to glue your tires to the wheels, please scrape the chrome off the outside bead so that the rubber will adhere to the plastic. It will not glue well to the chrome.

Step G-5
Be sure to use the square shaped masking pieces in the light bucket area. If you paint this area, your lenses will not be "clear" when you attach the light buckets through the back side.

Link to gear ratios chart:

Ascender Gear Ratio Chart

Hope you will find this useful,
Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 08-18-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added Slipper addendum info
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Sr. Product Developer

Default Re: Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

Skid plate pin hole issue only with very first kits, thus removed 8/18/17

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 08-18-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Sr. Product Developer

Though they are missing from some sections of our intstruction manual, please note the following.

If there is a screw threading into aluminum or steel, Please apply the included thread lock onto each screw.

Be sure to apply the black grease to all the gears in the transmission, axle housings as well as the front CV shafts and Center Driveline Yokes. DO NOT apply to the spur gear and pinion gear.

For most, this will be something they would do anyways, but just in case, I wanted to make sure this was known.

Again, these will be running changes to the instruction manual and depending on when you read this, these may not be issues any longer.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 09-17-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I really appreciate the fact that as a representative of Vaterra, you are getting this information out concerning the issues with the production kits before they are even available. I really have lost a bit of respect and confidence in the Axial boys since the Yeti debacle and it would have been nice had they been more vocal to the fan base and their customers. Thank you for being pro-active and sticking to the "customer comes first" mentality.
gillbily23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Great to see some information provided even before this is out on sale. Stuff like this makes me feel good about your quality control.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't know that I've ever got support BEFORE getting the truck. Good job on keeping the customers in the loop as well as getting ahead of any potential issues!
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

This is why this rig will be my 11th Vaterra vehicle. I have yet to see anything compare to the quality and value of their products. Half my collection is Vaterra!
Black n Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #8

G'day,
... now this is what I call "real support" - explaining things and adding information before you actually have the kit in hand.

Six out of five stars from me!
I hardly can wait for the item to be available in good old Germany *drumming on table*...

Last edited by Tom the Kraut; 09-10-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Tom the Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

This is awesome to see some qc on a kit not even released..this will be my next scaler..
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

Wow, I think I'd like to come work for you guys.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Sr. Product Developer

Update on post #2 http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...ml#post4888100
Old 09-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Sr. Product Developer

Update to post#3
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...ml#post4888101
Old 09-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Awesome job with the customer support!! Its a really nice thing to see in this day and age!

I think this will be next on my list to purchase
Kylar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Any chance of the maximum dimentions for batterys that will fit in the tray
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
Any chance of the maximum dimentions for batterys that will fit in the tray
100mm x 50mm (3.94" x 1.97")

This common name for the battery that will fit is a "Shorty" pack. These are used in most 1/10th Off Road buggies.

Rich
Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

If you want to go big and 3S max amps carries a 3s shorty for the durango. You may have to open the wallet a little but cant wait to try mine.
ed701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Rich,

Do you know if the stock tires will mount on rc4wd steelies?

Thanks
1.55Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.55Yota View Post
Rich,

Do you know if the stock tires will mount on rc4wd steelies?

Thanks
I've never tried to mount our tires on their wheels. Our bead is thicker for sure.
You may be able to trim our bead to make it easier. I've only mounted our tires on Vanquish wheels and it is a bit tough.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply Rich.

Any chance you have the 2 speed parts list?
1.55Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 AM   #20

I just got done building my Ascender for the most part. Just have the body left to do. This thread was a great help as was all the other info about this kit on here.

I only had one issue. It was with one of the CVD inserts that goes into the ball yoke. The hole was too small for the pin. About 2 minutes of using a 1/16" hand drill bit is all it took. Everything else was golden.

I have been in and out of the hobby for 2 decades and have done countless kits. This kit it by far one of the best, if not the best I have assembled yet. I love the way it's designed, and the thing feels rock solid. I can't wait to get it dirty! Keep up the good work!!!!
Hogass83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Things to know before you start building your Ascender... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another part I might start building: Back Up Alarm heyok Electronics 12 06-22-2014 10:36 AM
where to start building a Super? REV666 Superclass Crawlers 7 02-08-2013 10:38 AM
how should i start building a formula offroad? offroader 21 Formula Offroad 19 12-20-2011 10:21 AM
What would i use to start building one? Spdsk8er General Scale Talk 9 04-16-2006 06:29 PM