Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: How to convert Ascender trans to a Two Speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How to convert Ascender trans to a Two Speed

i am not sure if the nut's included, but i got spare M2.5 nuts too so i'm nut sure if i got it from one of the packs or from my spare stash.

edit: again, absolutely no help.

Last edited by dextan22; 11-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextan22 View Post
i am not sure if the nut's included, but i got spare M2.5 nuts too so i'm nut sure if i got it from one of the packs or from my spare stash.

edit: again, absolutely no help.

Im with you on that. This has been a serious PITA. Gald this forum gave the list for MOST of the parts, but poor job on giving complete details. My truck has been offline for a week waiting for parts, and now I'm scrounging for a nut. This bites. Great truck other than that though.
DawgBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I'll also assume that the Ascender has no need of the servo saver for the shift servo?

And yet another part needed.... vtr235108.... sorry, not all of us have a bunch of screws and nuts just laying around. 2-speed for the Vaterra Ascender sucks. Don't go into this project unless you have extra stuff laying around and the patience to deal with incomplete lists of parts and downtime.

Last edited by DawgBones; 11-03-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

as long as you set your servo properly, there's no need for a servo saver. i find the shifting became smoother with use. on my part, i just ordered what's listed in the first post of this thread. and yes, luckily i got extra parts. sorry to hear about your experience though. but you'll enjoy it once you get it running. i smile at the faces of my friends with scx10s on the trail when they think they are faster than me on a flat run and *shift* zoom!
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBones View Post
I'll also assume that the Ascender has no need of the servo saver for the shift servo?

And yet another part needed.... vtr235108.... sorry, not all of us have a bunch of screws and nuts just laying around. 2-speed for the Vaterra Ascender sucks. Don't go into this project unless you have extra stuff laying around and the patience to deal with incomplete lists of parts and downtime.

You don't need to buy the Vaterra screws. I buy stainless steel stuff off ebay or a local supplier.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
Sr. Product Developer

Sorry about this guys. I'm checking in on why the shift fork does not have eclips included. It's been some time since I set that replacement part up for the Twin Hammers. Unfortunately even if I add it now, consumers will likely not see this affected for quite some time.
The E-clip size is 3mm and the part number is VTR236131
The 2.5mm nut can also be found in VTR236013

Hope this helps,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
You don't need to buy the Vaterra screws. I buy stainless steel stuff off ebay or a local supplier.
Yeah, I'm pissed at this whole 2-speed thing. They pumped up this upgradable 2 speed rig and don't even have all the parts needed. I did buy the rest of the screws and nuts I needed (hopefully), needless to say, I did NOT buy any more Vaterra parts for this thing. Was almost ready to just scrap the whole project, but, I am trying to calm down...... ;)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Here is the list of parts required to convert your Ascender transmission to a 2 Speed and a link to the instruction manual below.
Note that you will need a "Mini" servo to operate the shifting, at least a 3 channel receiver and a transmitter with a 3rd channel/button with "2 position switch"

Parts needed:
VTR232009 Transmission Metal Gear Set: Twin Hammers
OR
VTR232000 Transmission Molded Gear Set: Twin Hammers

VTR232008 High- & Low-Speed Gear Set: Twin Hammers (Top shaft gears)
VTR332009 Transmission Shift Fork & Shaft: Twin Hammers
VTR232007 Transmission Shift Linkage Set: Twin Hammers (the picture is old on our site, the current parts should have a spring and 2 piece arm that acts as a servo saver)
VTR232017 Transmission Shaft Set: Twin Hammers (sorry guy, you only need the small aluminum spacer and we only offer it in this set)
VTR237003 4mm x 8mm x 3mm Ball Bearing
VTR237004 5mm x 10mm x 4mm Ball Bearing x 2
VTR236131 E-Clip 3mm (10)
VTR236013 M2.5 Nylock Nut (10)
LOSA6356 5&6mm Shim set 5x7x.02mm shim This is the only way we sell the shims by themselves.

Link to Twin Hammers Kit Instruction manual

You will use the following steps:
A-2 thru A-6 (Disregard the outer standoff mount in A-6)
A-12 and A-13

One tip is to make sure the shifting shaft that slides in and out of the transmission case has a smooth finish to it. For the most part, our production parts have a smooth finish but I've seen some with a slightly rougher texture and this can cause the shaft to stick in the transmission case, making it harder to shift. I always polish it to make sure it's smooth.

Rich
And VTR235108 x 2 for A-13
Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmguy760 View Post
I took 2 speed off no way to get the epa set with a mini it fried 2 I gave up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can use horn length to set your end points or you can use a spring horn like the traxxas summit shift horns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I slapped a used Twin Hammers 2spd including the stock servo into my Ascender and my buddy metalry101 helped me set the end points via my transmitter and it works flawlessly... as does my ol' TH which he also dialed in for me right when I purchased it... All in all I'm glad I put the 2spd in mine.
1tonblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I can sort out the parts and get it working, but it is disappointing that it's advertised as "optional 2 speed". This really gives the impression that it will be a professionally packaged upgrade. Being a business owner, this seems like it's a self-inflicted support headache. I just think it should have been done differently, like more a "advanced builders can modify the transmission for 2 speeds, see our website", etc. To many less experienced it will be a nit-picky frustrating experience waiting for item after item to get it working and it might leave them with a bad impression of Vaterra.

This all said, I REALLY like the Ascender Kit. I'm very impressed that Rich is here providing all the support for this great kit and it shows that HH and Vaterra cares about and respects their customers. I won't hesitate to consider Vaterra when I'm looking for my next project. Thanks Rich!
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

Can someone post ALL of the parts needed, including the correct part numbers? The list in the first post has repeating part numbers with different descriptions. I want to do this but don't want to have to do 4 orders to get it right.

EDIT: Figured it out, the part number for the metal gear set is wrong, everything else is correct.

Does anyone have any servo recommendations?

Last edited by seth556; 11-29-2014 at 12:21 PM.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
Can someone post ALL of the parts needed, including the correct part numbers? The list in the first post has repeating part numbers with different descriptions. I want to do this but don't want to have to do 4 orders to get it right.

EDIT: Figured it out, the part number for the metal gear set is wrong, everything else is correct.

Does anyone have any servo recommendations?
Hey Seth,

It is setup for a standard Mini servo, the hitec HS225MG is a good choice. There are some prefab mounting plates on rpp and elsewhere for running a standard size servo like the Hitec 5645MG. just search for ascender shift servo plate. Not a difficult mounting plate to fab up with a hack saw and a drill. when you see the prefab one, you'll see what I mean. Good use for some of those crummy OEM steering servos you might have laying around?
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #34

Hello, I used this servo from amain:
Losi Mini 8IGHT Servo (LOSB0883) = $23.49

100% bolt on, shifting works fine and it is really fun additional feature, I like it!
Volvospede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Perfect, I think I'll get that 225mg servo. I don't imagine you'd need a very powerful servo to run it.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Figured this out on the 22 when I ran out of m2.5 nuts. You can use a 4-40 locknut, it fits surprisingly well.

I need to find someone who sells a 4x6x2mm shim so I don't have to pay $11 for a bunch of parts only to use one shim.

Last edited by seth556; 12-07-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #37
RCC Addict

i got a new built twin hammer tranny with all the hot racing upgrades for 85. best way yo go. hope to get 30-40 for the stock tranny. after reading this. glad i did it.
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #38

First gear vs second gear:

http://youtu.be/3b9A4ax4Y88?list=UUW...XNwcEUw3GMGc1w

it is worth all the trouble to have the second gear!

Last edited by Volvospede; 12-08-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo
Volvospede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

What would be the best starting point for 32 pitch gearing on the two speed tranny, being the axle ratio on the twin hammer is 2.86 and the ascender axle ratio is 1.85? That is a big difference in final drive to the wheels!!! I have a 51t 32 pitch spur gear. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
What would be the best starting point for 32 pitch gearing on the two speed tranny, being the axle ratio on the twin hammer is 2.86 and the ascender axle ratio is 1.85? That is a big difference in final drive to the wheels!!! I have a 51t 32 pitch spur gear. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I guess I can answer my own question. Since the tranny ratio for the Ascender is 4.05 and the low ratio on the two speed is 4.05, it really dosen't matter that the Twin Hammer and the Ascender axle have different ratios. DA!!!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

How to convert Ascender trans to a Two Speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which 2 speed trans to get???? help! dwblue00 Axial SCX-10 10 08-23-2013 12:37 AM
2 speed trans DIZZE004 General Scale Talk 0 11-07-2010 12:27 PM
What 2 speed trans to use? McCready 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 08-13-2010 07:13 AM
Scale Speed... how do you convert it??? norbyx Chit Chat 11 06-16-2010 10:39 AM