Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Pinion gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #41

Default Re: Pinion gear

After inspection put it back together, tightened down the slipper 2 turns went back to hills no problem with front wheels not turning,, always thought if it slips all wheels are going to slip, ill be happy to get mips and tighten slipper completly in, it made me happy again to see how well it really climbs and how much flex it has in suspension f&r I feel like problems may be over...
dentguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Interesting reading about the various issues. We have 3 now in our club, 2 are perfectly fine and smooth, the other one has eaten the rear ring and pinion on the first pack. Vaterra has been contacted and he has 2 new sets in hand already. I would bet that the first batch of pinion gears had some issues or came out brittle. I don't see how else it could be happening. Axle case is certainly not flexing and nothing else seems to be binding.

Personally, I went against my better judgement ordering one of the first off the boat - usually those are the ones that have the most issues. Later kits always have the kinks worked out. But so far mine's been solid.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

My local hobby shop has one and only one. It's the only kit in the whole place and he doesn't carry parts for it. I almost bought it yesterday, but I'm worried enough about buying a truck that may or may not have gears breaking right away that I had to stop myself.

Looking forward to a set of hardened steel gears though, so I can jump on the band wagon.

Last edited by Alpha Male; 10-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

I did let my bosses and another one of our R/C guys know about this in case the guy who bought the only one we had gotten in so far came in with this problem as well as talked to a friend of both his and mine to warn him if he sees the guy before I do.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

This afternoon I found myself driving by a hobby shop that wasn't on the way home. I bought an Ascender. I was weak. Hope my gears are good!
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #46

For those who have failed gear sets, could you post your kit number, so we can see if there is a trend?
redxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogass83 View Post
I was thinking the same thing wondering if the plastic housing or cover gave out because Harley expressed possible concern in one of his videos, so I pulled the front pinion and spool and put it in the rear housing and checked the mesh....it's right on the money still.
Most likely just a bad batch not a big deal at all on a new kit specially when horizon will totally back their product..I dont see why everyone is making such a fuss...i
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
My local hobby shop has one and only one. It's the only kit in the whole place and he doesn't carry parts for it. I almost bought it yesterday, but I'm worried enough about buying a truck that may or may not have gears breaking right away that I had to stop myself.

Looking forward to a set of hardened steel gears though, so I can jump on the band wagon.
Dont let a possible gear problem stop you from buying this kit..it would be different it the supplier was saying its not their fault but this is horizon and I have never in my life experienced a better backed product than I have with horizon..I had a servo go bad on me once the JR ST125MG they sent me a new one that again went bad almost a year later but I had hardly used it so without calling I sent it back with a note explaining my issue and got a phone call from them..he asked my setup method to assure I was not causing the issue which with his knowledge to rc he quickly realized my setup method was fine..he was super cool about the whole conversation..then he said ill tell you what im going to send you a better servo with a glitchbuster and a servo setup meter which has been a really cool little tool when setting endpoints on my kits..this was the best customer service I have ever had in my life...
Jaketheone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #49

I have to agree. I got my parts today, not one but 3 sets of gears... and a 14t 48p pinion that I never even mentioned. The gear thing had me heated, but hey... it happens. They're handling it professionally, so it's a good thing I can type because my foot is in my mouth. I will never knock them again. Issue handled like a boss. Thanks for the customer support Horizon Hobby. About to pre-order MIP's and place an order for tires, and a LNC from them this weekend. Already pondering my next truck after the LNC...not sure what, but you can bet it'll be something from them.
Hogass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Got my "new gears" and same thing. Even went 8 turns out on the slipper. They need to recall this turd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #51

I'm sitting here messing with mine on the bench now. Just pulled my speed control and slipper cover.... loosened the slipper til I can spin the spring by hand easily (only 1 thread showing past the nut) and it still didn't slip when trying to spin the spur gear by hand. It'll start to twist the driveshafts so I quit and dug deeper into the slipper. I'm not saying the gears aren't weak... my first set were weak for sure. Whether it's a hardening issue or not, I don't know, I'll leave that to Horizon to figure out and take care of...but the slipper seems to not be doing it's job as well. I re-checked it all and it's assembled properly, yet will not slip. I have only tried by hand, not trying to break more parts.
Hogass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #52

Does anyone doubt that the ChiComs would slip inferior metal into the mix when producing the gears for diffs, if they thought they could save a nickel... I mean they loaded up the pet food they sent here with lead... im still very much a fan of this truck, and Horizon's customer service. Mark my words here, this will be more popular that axial scx10, especially when aftermarket catches up with it
dentguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

When building mine I came across something that could be causing the issue. It may not be it but something to watch for. When you tighten the pinion on the shaft with the thread loc it can vapor lock causing it to not tighten down all the way. I had to back it in and out 2 or 3 times before it finally snugged up. Also if the shim set is not used that is included on the ring gear bearings.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I was assembling my Ascender yesterday and was paying particular attention to the ring/pinion mesh.

In my case I needed three .1mm thick shims between the ring gear side and the carrier bearing, and none under the other carrier bearing. This produced the least amount of backlash without any gear binding, and allowed the ring gear to snugly slide into the axle housing. With only the two kit supplied shims it would literally fall into the housing.

I tried one .1mm washer under the pinion gear, but it is too much and brings the pinion to far towards the carrier and the gears bind.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Got my "new gears" and same thing. Even went 8 turns out on the slipper. They need to recall this turd.

Easy now, no need for that. Full on recall isn't necessary at all. I understand your frustration, but I'm sure a gear solution will be available soon.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #56

I had mine break in 20 ft got new ones from horizon and went trailing for 2 hours yesterday. Out of the five rigs the ascender was the only truck that didn't break. Plus it won every compitition we had.
fatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #57
RCC Addict

A lot of it depends on driving habits. I've watched people absolutely THRASH on their rig and break all kinds of things, getting pissed in the process. I have ran three 3-day G6 events with rigs with 100% stock drive trains (aside from MIP shafts) and finished all of them without breaking running a ROC 412 3100 brushless. Use the slipper and your brain, most of the time a rig breaks it's the driver's fault. You can't expect to have the tires locked up, yoke the throttle and expect something not to give. I can break any of my rigs anytime I want to with the brushless power plant, I'd just rather drive all day than constantly work on them.

It seems like some are having pinion issues with this rig, but I bet there's many out there that don't post on the forums that aren't having any problems at all.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #58
Pebble Pounder

I'm on my third set of gears. My sxc10 never broke a stock gear. Same motor and battery. Even have my slipper set to 8 turns out. I don't "thrash" on it any more then my axial rig.

Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #59

Here is the problem, most guys reporting aren't brushless let alone a ROC 412! I have no problem setting a slipper, but I do want to be able to push my rig a little not "thrash it" by any means.
It would be so much easier to pull the trigger on this knowing someone was working on aftermarket steel hardened HD gears.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #60

Somebody needs to catch this on video, so we can see what the conditions were like.

Pinion gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM
Pinion Gear? BIGNASTY Axial Wraith 20 03-13-2012 06:55 PM
pinion gear yukon635 General Crawlers 4 01-11-2006 02:16 PM