Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Pinion gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pinion gear

Well, it was worth a thought at least.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

Took it all apart, pulled out the chunks, used one of the extra halfs of drive shafts after it exploded that too, it's short and barely engaged, but works. Been playing with it. I'm surprised it still works, fine. I will call Vaterra tomorrow. See if they'll warranty the shaft and pinion.
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Come on vaterra team! Show us your still listening by releasing a hardened steel ring and pinion already! Everyone i know that has an ascender has been through at least 1 set that looks just like those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #104
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
Come on vaterra team! Show us your still listening by releasing a hardened steel ring and pinion already! Everyone i know that has an ascender has been through at least 1 set that looks just like those

Hi Guys,
Again this is pretty frustrating for both you and me. I'm very aware that this is happening here but we're simply not seeing the numbers through our customer service line. I am working on making a set of "HD" pinion gears to support those running bigger power etc.

Please keep in mind that I don't doubt the issues here but based on the number of vehicles we've sold (which I obviously can't share) to the calls and emails regarding this issue it's relatively small. As we all know, a problem on a message board can be made to be much bigger than it actually is.

It's been our/my goal to always provide the best product we can and we will beef these up and as we progress I'll share with updates.

Don't beat me up too much

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #105
RCC Addict

I have run mine 4 times now and still no gear problem. I did break the pin in the front axle cv. I think this was due to the angle of the shaft, and also the axle does rock back and forth a lot. I'm coming up with a modification when I have time to reduce this rocking, but am busy with work at the moment.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Great to hear that the hd gearset is in the works! Thnx for the quick response and hopefully they will be available for purchase before i break my next set. Just to be known my last set broke before the stock shafts let go with a recommended 5 1/2 turn set slipper with an axial 27t on 2s. Thnx again for listening i know we have a few guys here looking forward to the hd set aswell.

Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #107
RCC Addict

The two shims that come in the kit to go either side of the spool behind the bearings. I don't know if they are available separately, but I put both shims behind the drive side bearing as there seemed to be too much play with one each side.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Granted I'm only running 2s on a 55 turn, but I'm pretty hard on equipment.

I have probably 4 hours of use on my Ascender now with no parts failures. I've had it horrifically bound up to the point of stalling the motor (yeah, slipper is probably tighter than reccomended), and hopped it on rock ledges at WOT just to see what it will take in terms of abuse. So far it's getting an A+.

BUT, I did pay attention to the ring/pinion mesh when assembling and found that I needed three shims behind the ring gear side, and none on the other side. The kit only comes with 2 shims per axle, but fortunately I have a ton of shims on hand.

I'm starting to believe that many of these gear failures are the result of too much back lash in the gears. They are small, so they need to fit together as snugly as possible without reducing the clearance to 0.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #109
Scale Detail Engineering

I'm about to drop in Hera's Pro4 4000... hehehe
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Granted I'm only running 2s on a 55 turn, but I'm pretty hard on equipment.

I have probably 4 hours of use on my Ascender now with no parts failures. I've had it horrifically bound up to the point of stalling the motor (yeah, slipper is probably tighter than reccomended), and hopped it on rock ledges at WOT just to see what it will take in terms of abuse. So far it's getting an A+.

BUT, I did pay attention to the ring/pinion mesh when assembling and found that I needed three shims behind the ring gear side, and none on the other side. The kit only comes with 2 shims per axle, but fortunately I have a ton of shims on hand.

I'm starting to believe that many of these gear failures are the result of too much back lash in the gears. They are small, so they need to fit together as snugly as possible without reducing the clearance to 0.
Yeah, got to agree with you on that. I did have some small shims somewhere and thought to try shims behind the pinion. Can't find the shims lol. More on order anyway. I think if there is any difference in the axle molding then this could cause a problem. It may pay Vaterra to include extra shims in with the kit perhaps, plus an advisory to check play on the diff.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #111

I just joined the broken pinion gear club! :( Broke my front pinion on first run about five minutes in on first battery. Two teeth broke and bound axle and then snapped driveshaft. Only running Tekin fxr/35T on 2s. Will put in a call soon.
JR_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Well that pretty much answers my question. Sorry for all of you guys that are having these problems. Is there any new on any of the after market companies looking the cash in on this yet.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #113
RCC Addict

I hear that Vaterra may be bringing their own HD set out, but don't know any date yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

They need to hurry the f up with them. This is bull crap

Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #115
RCC Addict

I call one of my local hobby shop's and ask if they heard anything about vaterra coming out with HD gears' He said no but wish'es somebody would , He told me he can't seem to sell them at all now.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #116
RCC Addict

The 2 we had sold from our hobby shop are both broken. Gear failure plus noob trigger finger resulted in broken drive shafts as well.

Neither of the owners have a rcc account.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Man I been using mine since day one sv3 tekin 35t handwound on 2s 45c no issues yet and I've driven this rig
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 AM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Hi Guys,
Again this is pretty frustrating for both you and me. I'm very aware that this is happening here but we're simply not seeing the numbers through our customer service line. I am working on making a set of "HD" pinion gears to support those running bigger power etc.

Please keep in mind that I don't doubt the issues here but based on the number of vehicles we've sold (which I obviously can't share) to the calls and emails regarding this issue it's relatively small. As we all know, a problem on a message board can be made to be much bigger than it actually is.

It's been our/my goal to always provide the best product we can and we will beef these up and as we progress I'll share with updates.

Don't beat me up too much

Rich
Just a few posts up.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Sure setting the correct mesh and backlash on those gears can help a lot, but given the small size of those gears, I'd like to have HD R&P anyway...
I've put my buying desire on hold for the moment.
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #120

Add me to the list of broken gears! I am only running a 35 turn Atomik ($11.00 motor) My rig hasn't even seen the dirt yet at all and it broke while crawling over my son's croc shoe. Wow maybe they should have made these gears out of plastic instead of this pot metal they used. I bet they would hold up better LOL! Also the manual states to put thread lock on the m3x8 screw that holds the gear to the shaft....well I stripped the screw out trying to get the dang thing out, so I had to drill it out and doing that it ruined my drive yoke! Are most people breaking the front gear or rear gear? Mine was the front.
scalecrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinion gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM
Pinion Gear? BIGNASTY Axial Wraith 20 03-13-2012 06:55 PM
pinion gear yukon635 General Crawlers 4 01-11-2006 02:16 PM