Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Pinion gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #141
Sr. Product Developer

Default Re: Pinion gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdieselguy View Post
Does anybody have a part number for the shims on the spool or know the dimensions?
It is an 8mm shim. Some how I managed to miss setting this up as a replacement part. Calandra Racing Concepts has these available. Here is a link to Horizon's website but i'm sure you can find them else where. I'll work on getting this setup but with setup, PO's and Chinese New years, it's going to be a while before I have them available through Vaterra.

8mm shims
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #142

My son and I both bought one, after getting them done went to our local hobby store to do some driving and both broke first run. (diff pinion) son had the hobby shop call horizon and I called from home and the customer service was great we both got are parts and both up and running. but we got different parts mine on the left looks like the stock part, his on the right might be the hd?
rpjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #143
Rock Crawler

My ascender just lost its first tooth on the front ring & pinion, my how they grow up so fast.

That was all carry on......
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
It is an 8mm shim. Some how I managed to miss setting this up as a replacement part. Calandra Racing Concepts has these available. Here is a link to Horizon's website but i'm sure you can find them else where. I'll work on getting this setup but with setup, PO's and Chinese New years, it's going to be a while before I have them available through Vaterra.

8mm shims
Good info Rich, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjass View Post

My son and I both bought one, after getting them done went to our local hobby store to do some driving and both broke first run. (diff pinion) son had the hobby shop call horizon and I called from home and the customer service was great we both got are parts and both up and running. but we got different parts mine on the left looks like the stock part, his on the right might be the hd?
Glad you're back up and running, burt your pics don't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
My ascender just lost its first tooth on the front ring & pinion, my how they grow up so fast.

That was all carry on......
Was it heavy duty version, forget what power you're running and what were you doing at the time?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #145
Rock Crawler

I have no clue if it was HD, what ever came in the RTRs is about all I can share.

Power wise I've got a holmeshobbies 540 outrunner, paired to a Tekin RX8 GEN2, with the recommend 2s reaction lipo.

My rear left tire got hooked on a rock ledge, and I used the throttle to pull the tire free/over, and then there was a clicking sound.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 06-20-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #146
Pebble Pounder

Still waiting on overdrive and under drive ring and pinion gears for the axles !!

come on Vaterra lets get the ball rolling please

Last edited by luv2ridemx; 06-20-2015 at 06:33 PM.
luv2ridemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogass83 View Post
I was thinking the same thing wondering if the plastic housing or cover gave out because Harley expressed possible concern in one of his videos, so I pulled the front pinion and spool and put it in the rear housing and checked the mesh....it's right on the money still.
After talking with good knowledgeable guy at LHS, I agree and think that they need the hardened HD ring and pinion gears with HotRacing aluminum diff cover part number VTA12C01 to keep the pinion from pushing the diff/spool out the back of the housing when the plastic housing and plastic diff cover flex under load.

Here's the HR aluminum diff covers, they are pretty nice pieces!

VTA12C01 - Hot Racing CNC 6061 Aluminum Differential Covers – CKRC Hobbies

Hot Racing Vaterra Ascender 1:10 Chevrolet K5 Blazer RC Car upgrades and Hop-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasmj View Post
Other possibility

A bad batch of diff bearings allowing the ring to move side to side out of spec.
I wonder if the diff can be shimmed or is it tight?
I will be ordering one in the next month or so.
If it is a issue with all of them it wouldn't bother me considering how much I have to upgrade on a scx10 out of the box.....

Idlier gear. $12
Steering links $15? (Scratch this I forgot it was a kit to kit comparison)
Drive shafts. $45(or have to mod them)
Then to get to the same scaleness

Panhard/cms kit

I would be willing to pay a premium for bullet proof gears
$30-$35 each for gears that last like axial hd.

Get numbers together and let us know what the cost would be.
Amen to that! and me too!

Last edited by Natedog; 06-24-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdieselguy View Post
Does anybody have a part number for the shims on the spool or know the dimensions?
Somebody mentioned a page or two back, but can't find it atm.

6mm shims for the pinion and 8mm for the ring gear.

I've been beating mine hard too and so far everything has been fine. Even did some forward reverse throttle the other day, just to see if the diffs would blow and it's still on original set of HD gears and driveshafts. Also been letting it hop and bounce on steep climbs, steering full lock in both directions, some tumbles mostly on 2S, but some 3S too, mine is all stock still. I checked diffs and had to re-shim them properly and added one shim of my own per diff. Two shims on ring gear side of spool and one shim on the other end of the spool, extra little spot of grease and that's it.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-01-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Pinion gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM
Pinion Gear? BIGNASTY Axial Wraith 20 03-13-2012 06:55 PM
pinion gear yukon635 General Crawlers 4 01-11-2006 02:16 PM