RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Wich motor for Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/511220-wich-motor-ascender.html)

martoediefroets 10-08-2014 06:54 AM

Wich motor for Ascender

While waiting for the Europe release of the Ascender, i am already getting all the eletronics needed for the build.
It will be my first scaler and i am a noob at scaler trucks and can't decide to go brushed or brushless.
I prefer brushed but brushless is ok to.
What are you guys running ?

zanthrax 10-08-2014 07:02 AM

Re: Wich motor for Ascender

All my 4 crawlers are brushed.
Dirt cheap, and they don't have problems with water/mud. I don't even bother with rebuildable motors. Just throw in a brand new $10 sealed can motor.
I even skimp on the ESCs. I recently tried a Hobbyking one for $9, the only brushed ESC HK carries, It includes a dragbrake. I've been running it in a Sawback with a 45T rc4wd motor. Hasn't given me any problems yet.
I plan on running a quicrun 1060 in my Ascender, after watching a few videos I think 45T is right for the Ascender.

If you go brushless, go for a sensored system, sensorless motors don't run nice at low RPMs.
Tekin and Castle are the popular brands for brushless crawling. I haven't seen many people running Novak systems recently, don't know why.

joe122 10-08-2014 07:02 AM

I will be running the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Expert 13t with a CC SV3. I am using one in one of my SCX10's and really like the low end control, torque, is very affordable and has decent wheel speed. Truly depends on your build target though, all crawl, some trail use and crawling. See the HH website for some good tips regarding motor choices.

M1tch 10-08-2014 07:20 AM

I run a Mamba max pro and Tekin 35 Turn HD in my present truck, but am going to use a Tekin FXR and 45 turn HD in the Ascender when it arrives. I just want to try something different from the Castle esc. Quite happy with the motors.

dextan22 10-08-2014 07:51 AM

I will be using my spares, a Mamba Max Pro and a Tekin Roc412 1200kv on 3s. I also have a few pinions on the ready and ordered 2speed gears, etc.

dentguy55 10-08-2014 12:47 PM

Tekin 35t works well on my ascender

Inclodneato 10-11-2014 11:16 PM

I run a mamba max pro with a dynamite 17.5t sensored motor on a 12t pinion 2s Lipo. Nice balance. I might switch to the stock gear for a bit more wheel speed though

martoediefroets 10-12-2014 02:47 AM

Thank you all for posting your setup.
I ordered 2 sets of brushed esc and motor.
I ordered the Hobbywing WP1060 esc and RC4wd 35t motor(just because they are so cheap) and a Castle Sidewinder v3 to go with a Tekin 35T HD.
I will test both to see wich one i like the most.
"thumbsup"

Natedog 06-25-2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe122 (Post 4914164)
I will be running the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Expert 13t with a CC SV3. I am using one in one of my SCX10's and really like the low end control, torque, is very affordable and has decent wheel speed. Truly depends on your build target though, all crawl, some trail use and crawling. See the HH website for some good tips regarding motor choices.

HH 13T runs nice on 3s, but my buddy's only lasted couple months and that was no mud or water running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dextan22 (Post 4914193)
I will be using my spares, a Mamba Max Pro and a Tekin Roc412 1200kv on 3s. I also have a few pinions on the ready and ordered 2speed gears, etc.

Nice setup! I'm getting more interested in this great low rpm control, good power and more top speed all on 2s even.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inclodneato (Post 4917619)
I run a mamba max pro with a dynamite 17.5t sensored motor on a 12t pinion 2s Lipo. Nice balance. I might switch to the stock gear for a bit more wheel speed though

I'm really interested in the HobbyKing Trackstar 17.5T with one of their ESCs, running Tekin FXR and 45T and Integy brushed motors in all my other crawlers and works well.

Want to try running shorty hardcase 2S lipos in my Ascender and therefore looking for motor and ESC combo that gets good low resolution crawl speed (with decent drag brake) yet still has some wheelspeed. I don't have two-speed in mine yet, prolly will in the future, but want to try something different for power this time.

SilmarilS 06-26-2015 01:06 AM

I run a ROC 2300kv on 2S(main), 3S (occasional), with a 20T pinion, and I have a very good low speed control and good wheel spin..

I have loosen the slipper clutch a lot to save on parts, and for the moment everything is happy!

ESC is a Hobbywing 10BL60-Sensored which I like for the price!
Can front flip on a hard slop with 60% drag brake.

Natedog 06-26-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilmarilS (Post 5251407)
I run a ROC 2300kv on 2S(main), 3S (occasional), with a 20T pinion, and I have a very good low speed control and good wheel spin..

I have loosen the slipper clutch a lot to save on parts, and for the moment everything is happy!

ESC is a Hobbywing 10BL60-Sensored which I like for the price!
Can front flip on a hard slop with 60% drag brake.

Checking on this, thanks. Seems ROC412 is best of both worlds while still on 2S instead of 3S, other motors seem to fall short in either performance or quality.

EDIT: Was at LHS last night and noticed that they now stock some Hobbywing motors and ESC.

YDAZOPEN 05-30-2016 12:13 AM

Is there an option for a 100% sealed brushed motor? I currently have the axial 27T on it with 12 tooth pinion.... Good setup but would love the Titan 12T on my Bronco but the motor can fouls up where the battery tray hinge is. Sandy water is eating all my motors up. IDEAS ??

Natedog 06-01-2016 02:44 PM

No. I love the 21T 550 motor in my Wraith on 3S, but yes it doesn't quite fit in the Ascender without some mods...which I haven't' messed with yet. I'm running stock Ascender RTR 35T with built-in cooling fan, works great, inexpensive and been durable. I've done some, but not lots of water crossings with it. I'd buy several stock Ascender motors, rotate them, keep them cleaned and lightly lubed...that's prolly the best you can do running in the sandy water that you do.

pete959 06-01-2016 06:23 PM

I run roc412 3100kv in one rig with 12t pinion and a mmp on a 3s it is nuts with stock pinion but the 12 seems to be great thats in bertha i keep breaking stuff but i think that is the weight in wheels and in the beater i run a mmp with a hh trailmaster 2200kv with 12 tooth on 3s it is almost perfect i am going to put in a 14 pinion for giggles just remember u got to run 30c or better with the mmp or might burn up at maximum brappppppppp

LIFE IS GOOD

Sammy J. 06-01-2016 06:33 PM

I'm still running the stock 35t motor on my Ascender. I have been running it for 14 months now (5 months on 3S) and it still works great. When it finally quits I will either buy another one or go with the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster 35t expert.

35t brushed motors just seem to really fit my driving style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CTB 12-25-2017 09:10 PM

I am running a Castle 1900kv slate motor with a Holmes Trail Master ESC, only runs on 3s but I have no complaints, plenty of Power. sensored brushless, just added some silicone grease to the sensor connections and have had 0 problems in water, even fully submerged.

White Bear Smith 05-30-2020 05:25 PM

If I want to go to Holmes hobbies motor in my wife’s ascender suburban what would a good one to pick we have a Hobbywing 1080 for the esc already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itali83 05-30-2020 08:59 PM

The sealed can trail master sports are great motor for the money. 27 turn will give you a bit more wheel speed if you like. If you want to go big money, I love my crawlmaster pro motor. Being a 5 slot motor, the start up smoothness is awesome. Plenty of wheelspeed and torque on 3s. But honestly, I’m a big fan of their trailmaster motors. I just don’t see spending so much more on a motor that’s (to me) only slightly better than the trailmaster.

Ben

White Bear Smith 06-02-2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itali83 (Post 6026152)
The sealed can trail master sports are great motor for the money. 27 turn will give you a bit more wheel speed if you like. If you want to go big money, I love my crawlmaster pro motor. Being a 5 slot motor, the start up smoothness is awesome. Plenty of wheelspeed and torque on 3s. But honestly, I’m a big fan of their trailmaster motors. I just don’t see spending so much more on a motor that’s (to me) only slightly better than the trailmaster.

Ben

Great to hear I was not sure I could put the crawlmaster in to her I thought I read some where it was a 540 can and my crawlmaster is a 550 can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itali83 06-02-2020 07:19 AM

550 cans will fit but it’s gets a bit funky with battery fittament. My crawlmaster is a 540 can

Ben