Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK

Nice vid! I am hoping through Christmas break I can get a start on mine.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Thanks. Good luck with yours. It seems to be a case of shim the r&p to make sure there is not too much play in the gears.

Took mine out again today, but forgot camera. Also had some fun with my old truck as I drove it down a stream. A lot of the time it was almost completely submerged, but I have spent a lot of time making sure everything was waterproof.

However the Ascender totally out drives it. The main thing I notice is the steering lock on the Ascender as with my old SCX10 based truck I am shunting back and forth to makes the turns the Ascender does so easily.

Last edited by M1tch; 09-26-2019 at 02:54 PM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Great videos man. I need to take my GoPro and actually work on getting some video next time I take mine out. You've got some beautiful places to play over there too. Winter in the desert means we don't have much green here right now, but I do have a ton of fun rocks to play on.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Where I have been recently is pretty wet almost all winter, and sometimes gets snow. I have thought of waterproofing the Ascender electrics. The tekin ESC is in the receiver box as its so small. Maybe some silicone and possibly a cheap motor for the real wet stuff. I don't want to wreck that 30 turn hand wound lol.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Well, the first drive was great. The Ascender drives really well, and I was impressed with the terrain it handled. Mossy rocks, loose dirt, leaves, roots...it drove over everything. I didn't really notice any torque twist, maybe I'm blind lol. Some pics and later some video.

Good looking Landy and beautiful crawl scenery! I love the scaleness of the Ascender axles, factory CMS, etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Just watched your nice videos too, awesome trails with the stone steps, old inscriptions, stone walls, creek etc.! Updates?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Any updates? Where has it crawled lately?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Funny you should ask Natedog.

Not done much driving for sometime as I tend to get into a hobby for a while, then move onto something else. I was flying rc plans and drones for a while, but it is a lot of hassle finding somewhere safe to fly. Gave up in the end as I spent as much time driving to a good spot as flying.

Still have the Ascender with Land Rover body. Paint is stripped off now. (found that pvc window frame cleaner did a great job after brake fluid did nothing)

Just got an email from RPP as they have the Chevy body and rear, so ordered that and some other bits. Hopefully will be driving again soon.

Last edited by M1tch; 08-20-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Funny too that we've both been searching for good flying spots, I've been learning to crash and fly electric planes.

Good to know on the cleaner.

Sweet, I ordered the new Chevy K10 body and cage too, come on postman! I'll update my thread when it gets here, looking forward to seeing yours too!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Well the flying was fun, but a crash can destroy a plane or drone so easily. Cars are much easier on the wallet unless too much money is spent on upgrades. Problem with RPP is they only post USPS and it take forever to get here. I wont be using the Chevy body right away, it's just for 'stock' lol, There for when the Land Rover body dies.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #51
RCC Addict

I have been looking at the latest competition from Axial, but it won't be here until end of September and I have an SCX10 based truck anyway which is ready to run except for a motor. I might wait until SCX10 II parts are more available and upgrade the axles.

Last edited by M1tch; 08-11-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #52
RCC Addict

The K10 body and cage arrived today. Not bad for UK customs as they need a few cups of tea before doing anything :P No immediate plans for it, as the old Land Rover shell is still good. I will just decide on paint color and stuff. The chassis is still good condition, just going the check the axles and trans as they have been sat idle for 6 months.

Last edited by M1tch; 08-20-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Well some work done after a long time. I have decided to carry on using the Land Rover body until it dies. The K10 body and cage fit fine, but i want to think about color scheme and stuff.

A few parts turned up, but been busy with work

This bumper is from a UK company called Radshape. It's meant for a Tamiya, but I decided to get one and see how it fitted. The mounts were not too difficult. I just cut the tabs off the bottom and marked out and drillled holes for the screws that hold the front servo and bumper brackets. It could sit a bit lower, but if i get time I might cut a redrill the bar mounts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, but dropped down a bit would be perfect.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Thanks. They do one for the SCX10, so might have a look at that one, or cut this one about sometime. Truck is ready to run except repaint the body.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Paint done. Just want to mark out door shuts with maker pen.

Body is in good shape, but not sure how long it will last.
Orange power with black backing to darken it a bit.

I'm going to limit the front shocks a bit as they rub badly when wheels are turned.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/LBMtHE][/IMG]
Old 09-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Out for a couple of hours before the rain came back. Everything went fine. Wet, mossy granite had little grip, but It did ok.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Paint done. Just want to mark out door shuts with maker pen.

Body is in good shape, but not sure how long it will last.
Great color, love it. Wash the body good with warm water and dish soap, rinse and dry thoroughly, then apply drywall mesh tape and coat with ShoeGoo or E6000, works great and bodies last much longer.

Quote:
Out for a couple of hours before the rain came back. Everything went fine. Wet, mossy granite had little grip, but It did ok.
OMG, what a beautiful day on emerald green trail and the view at the top is nice too! Looks like the trail was 'paved' with stones long time ago, or is that just the stones getting exposed over time due to weathering?
Old 09-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Great color, love it. Wash the body good with warm water and dish soap, rinse and dry thoroughly, then apply drywall mesh tape and coat with ShoeGoo or E6000, works great and bodies last much longer.

OMG, what a beautiful day on emerald green trail and the view at the top is nice too! Looks like the trail was 'paved' with stones long time ago, or is that just the stones getting exposed over time due to weathering?

Thanks Nate. I have fixed the body with hot glue. The splits are small, and the body seems pretty tough. shame they don't make them any more.

The area is full of old quarries and other workings. China clay was dried there, and the tracks lead up to an old granite quarry. It's called the Dewerstone, which is an old name for a mythical hunter, also known as Satan. I sometimes walk all the way from there up river to another bridge, then back down the side of the river.

I still have an old Clod stick crawler I take up there sometimes. The rocks are so big a 1/10 crawler seems tiny.

Last edited by M1tch; 09-04-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Those wheels are very nice. Did I miss it? Who makes them?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote

M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to rock crawling and the rs10 - mine arrives today, what basics should I know? mujzeptu Redcat Crawlers 4 04-08-2010 10:41 AM
My AX-10 Arrives!! eemmaaxxxx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 28 02-03-2009 04:12 PM
my LOSI arrives tomorrow :) dostacos Newbie General 3 10-11-2008 03:28 PM
What to do till the conversion arrives Tonelock HPI Wheely King 7 06-15-2008 07:38 PM