Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Those wheels are very nice. Did I miss it? Who makes them?
Sorry just seen this. They are Gearhead Trail Kings. The stock tires fit well. A bit tight and used longer screws to start with. Stock foams as well.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Long wet grass and steep climbing, but the tires still worked ok. A lot of wheelspin meant my first battery lasted about 3/4 hour rather than over 1 hour.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Well it looks like I got a good colour choice. Shame I haven't got the girl to go with it.

http://silodrome.com/land-rover-series-2a-4x4/

Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Very nice!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Updates. I have been building up a new front axle with AR44 universals and STRC chubs and knuckles. All was good until I found I had no spare bearings for the spool, so they are on order as the local shop doesn't stock bearings. Will get some pics up when it's done. Also thinking of some extra weights on the axles, but just thinking at the moment.

Last edited by M1tch; 10-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to your results with the axles. For weights, Codyboy axle housing and/or Vaterra disk brake rotor weights.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #67
RCC Addict

I will look into options, but no rush. I think a bit more weight on the front would help, but some on the rear would help side hilling I guess.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Updates. I have been building up a new front axle with AR44 universals and STRC chubs and knuckles. All was good until I found I had no spare bearings for the spool, so they are on order as the local shop doesn't stock bearings. Will get some pics up when it's done. Also thiniking of some extra weights on the axles, but just thinking at the moment.

Are you using the factory housing and changing shafts? What are the universals? Sorry not 100% familiar with terminology yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killerbyrd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #69
RCC Addict

It's the stock Ascender axle housing and centre diff and pinion with GCM pinion outdrives to run the Junfac centre driveshafts. The AR44 universals are from the SCX10 II (AX31402) STRC c-hubs and Fastrax Wraith knuckles (FTAX0. The AR44 shafts need a little bit of filing tho get them to fit in the Ascender spool.

The Fastrax knuckles were just laying around from a FOFF build I did sometime ago, but used STRC ones instead on that.

Last edited by M1tch; 10-14-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Well the bearings turned up today, so got the axle built. I had ordered a couple more GCM outdrives and shimmed and installed the spool, the got the rest together and on the truck. The tie rod needed to be about 5mm longer and luckily I had a spacer that did the trick. I might have to raise the tie rod up a bit, but cant remember how high the original was.The steering is a far as it will go before the universals start to bind.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #71
RCC Addict

The stock knuckle has the arm right at the top. The Fastrax is lower by about 5mm. I just put a spacer between the tie rod and arm at each end.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Nice job M1tch,glad to see some else trying this set up.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Thanks. It's quite an easy job to do with the right parts and knowledge. Thanks for all the work you have done and shared.

I don't know when I will get to try it except for a short walk to a nearby river bank, but all seems ok. I just need to check the steering as this may have changed with the work done. I think I was lucky with the way the chubs and knuckles went together as they were for different trucks, and form different makers. I would like to add a winch maybe or I have a sway bar I could put on the rear.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

Default Re: M1tch's Ascender

Would like to see how you do a sway bar. Saw a thread where they used the esc plate and a traxxas slash sway bar for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killerbyrd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #75
RCC Addict

Default Re: M1tch's Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbyrd14 View Post
Would like to see how you do a sway bar. Saw a thread where they used the esc plate and a traxxas slash sway bar for the rear.
I have been reading through Natedog's thread, and will do similar to his I think.

Also found the shorter arms on the Fastrax Wraith knuckle means the tie rod and panhard rod hit under full compression. I should be able to sort this easily though.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

How'd you sort your steering linkage? What's new mate?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Not much done. I have removed the spacer from the left side arm so it clears the panahrd mount on the chassis, but the tie rod hits the servo horn screw. i'm looking for a way to extend the arms on the knuckles. Still drives ok, just needs more tinkering.

That and having a stinking cold for 2 weeks hasn't helped.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #78
RCC Addict

WEll I actually did some work on this one after spending time getting No2 ready to drive.

I put the Currie axles on this one as i wanted to get some anyway. As No2 was pretty much the same price for a whole truckas the Currie axles are alone, it was worth the money.

The Currie axles are really nicely made. They did however come with Boom Racing diff gears which were rough even when turned by hand. I have a few spare stock diff gears so have put them in.

I also changed the MIP drive shafts for Junfac's as I have plenty of them around and prefer the smaller cvd as the Mips hang up on rocks a bit too much.

Another job was to install a Castle BEC as I kept forgetting to do this. Just enough room in the fuel cell with the Tekin esc and Spektrum rx. Just got to shorten some of the wires and all will be done.

Must get it out one day. Nerw tires on the way as well. More later.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Looks nice, how did the front knuckle, housing cvd setup work out?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Thanks Nate. The front end is easy to setup. I still have alloy knuckles on this truck, the SDD brass ones I bought are on No2, so may have to get another set sometime. The chubs are one piece with the axle body and have small threaded insert for the knuckle screws. Very good fit and want to give it a run, but am going to overhaul the transmission first as it's not been apart for a while.

I have some of the RC4WD Goodyear MTR's on the way as they have had great reviews. They will be the 4.19 version as the 4.75 would be way too big on this truck.

Might look at lowering the fuel cell like you did, although I can't see it affecting the CG much, but let's see.

M1tch's Ascender arrives in the UK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to rock crawling and the rs10 - mine arrives today, what basics should I know? mujzeptu Redcat Crawlers 4 04-08-2010 10:41 AM
My AX-10 Arrives!! eemmaaxxxx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 28 02-03-2009 04:12 PM
my LOSI arrives tomorrow :) dostacos Newbie General 3 10-11-2008 03:28 PM
What to do till the conversion arrives Tonelock HPI Wheely King 7 06-15-2008 07:38 PM