Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ascender Build

Everyone in FL is jumping on the crawler/scaler bandwagon. Figures since I built a SCX10 a while ago and sold it because I never used it or had a place to use it.

The Vaterra has looked awesome since it was announced and I finally pulled the trigger on one. I run TLR cars for off-road so it feels natural sticking with the Horizon brands.

I'm planning on using a PL body and I'm not decided on the tires/wheels yet. The stock stuff is already for sale. I'm not a big Chevy fan.

Ready to go!

Most important part

I'm not a big fan of the top shaft, I understand the e-clips and all that but wish the gear was pressed on in some fashion. It rocks back and forth on the cross pin.

Tranny complete. The instructions were a bit lacking or I was a bit tired. But it's together. Also the slipper seems like the same one that's been on the TLR and Losi 1/10 off-road cars for year. So it should be easy to get a slipper eliminator and put a 32p Kimbrough spur gear on.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Ascender Build

These things are beefy!

The plastics seem just like the TLR plastics, really good quality. I remember building the SCX10 kit thinking about how fast all the plastics were going to wear out and would need to be replaced. This seems sturdy and might not need many upgrades for a while.

Front axle is done. Rod ends are a little tight but that should be alright.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I made some good progress last night. Truck is almost done, just need to finish the body and I'm waiting some another pair of wheels. I also ordered all the parts to do the 2 speed conversion.

Wired it up with a Traxxas ESC initially, it's waterproof and with a BEC it can handle a 3s lipo. I changed it out for a Tekin RSX I found laying around in my racing box.

Shocks are alright, nothing exciting here. First time I've built shocks without a bleeder cap in some time.

Switched in the RSX. Wiring is a bit messy so i need to clean that up, I can't stand a messy wiring job. Also did the links, the manual is pretty terrible for these, as well as the bumpers. You have a single page for each link, then one page for all four bumpers and shackles. Not to mention the 3x30mm screws to hold on the side bumpers, needs a 3x10mm to avoid a sore arm from screwing them in.

Found some tires that fit, set the end points and realized how hopelessly slow a 55t on 2s lipo is. I geared up and it's a bit quicker, I think I just need a 3s.

Got the Cherokee body mounted up. Looks pretty good. Bumpers are a bit wide, I think I'll work on narrowing up the rear. Also, messy pit table.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

That's better. Almost ready to go wheeling.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Looking good how much for the k5 body
juan r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Lots of updates. Changed the electronics to a cheapo Hobbywing ESC, 3s lipo, winch, and 2 speed tranny installed.

Burned up my first 2-speed servo not realizing I was plugging it into a 7.4v slot. For the second time around I soldered the positive wire lead to the esc lead. So the BEC on the ESC will power the shifting servo directly. Everything else is good at 7.4v

Winch servo mounted up in it's designated location. Kinda cool the truck is made for it. Used a Hitec 645mg servo and modded it for continuous rotation. It'll pull the entire truck straight up so it should hold up pretty well.

And the homemade spool. I was worried it wouldn't hold up since it's only ca'd together, but so far it seems pretty strong.

Full chassis, electronics layout.

And a flex shot on the 22. Cherokee body all mounted up and ready to go. The tires rub a little but it's not bad. I want to find some bolt on fenders that fit.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have seen dingo flares on that body int eh past and they can look pretty good if you trim them right.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

What Fairlead did you use for the bumper
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

That's the Vaterra fairlead.

I guess I need to order those dingo fender flares.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Got the fender flares on. They fit pretty well and opened up the wheel openings so the truck can fully flex and they body doesn't rub. It looks great on the rocks.

And the new 4px, it's awesome!

Just need to find a roof rack and maybe an interior.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

Looks good. I used to wheel a 96 XJ and have been eyeballing the body. I was afraid that Ascender would be a little large for that body. It looks like the rear is squatting. Could you post up a side profile shot? I saw on a different site that someone did and looked really good. I would post a link but not too sure of the rules about that.

Matt
Fornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well it's a bit dark but here's a photo. It sits pretty level. I had to shorten the wheelbase quite a bit to make it fit.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You should bring that up to RRW for the comp on the 24th.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Ascender Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lukekang77 Ascender build... LukeKang77 Vaterra Ascender 14 04-11-2018 10:46 PM
Harley's Vaterra Ascender Build Harley Vaterra Ascender 210 11-23-2015 09:27 AM
Hogass83 Ascender build Hogass83 Vaterra Ascender 2 10-25-2014 04:57 PM
My Ascender Build wax Vaterra Ascender 1 10-22-2014 05:38 PM
Crawlorado719 Vaterra Ascender build.. Crawlorado719 Vaterra Ascender 22 10-19-2014 12:04 AM