Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Joined the cool kids club!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Joined the cool kids club!

Looking good
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

This may cause some of you guys a headache, but being this body is so similar to my Dad's old truck, I am going to try to replicate the paint job it had. I believe it was a '76 Plymouth Trailduster. I loved that beast as a kid! Kept us safe one time when we hit black ice going down a hill and we used a Chevette's hood as a ramp. There was already an accident at the bottom of a hill that had just happened and we couldn't avoid it. Like I said before, I even learned to drive in that truck. I'm going to use the same white and orange colors as ours was. The only real difference in the paint scheme is that the two tone extends around the front of the truck as well as the back. Only a keen eye would notice the difference. I can't wait for my Dad to see this body! This is pretty much what it will look like, except for the color. I found this old ad for it. Might have to invest in the SSD bumpers for it, too. Really would set it off. I even have some white wheels I'm going to shod with some RC4WD 1.9 Rock Crushers that are a little shorter that the stock tires that should let them tuck nicely.

Going to swap the white wheels onto the center tires.

MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

My truck is scored and ready for paint! Give me a wild crazy design to paint any day! Trying to replicate a known paint scheme with tons of trim and straight lines is way harder! I did the best I can. Going to paint it after the wife is in bed tonight. No work for two nights! This truck will really be a runner soon! Might have to see about some LEDs for it, too.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

I pulled an allnighter, but I pretty much have it ready for the trail! I'll add the commentary as I add the pictures.....

Took me longer than I thought to finally get out there, but once I did, it didn't take too long. Got a little jumpy pulling off some mask and had to fix a few spots with a paint brush. As always, black goes on first!

After that, I decided to put the Faschrome satin on next, which may have been a mistake. I was worried that the chrome would change the hue of the orange. I might have but the chrome was not on as thick as it could have been. The orange ended up bleeding through in a few spots. Not too awful, though.

Then, like I said, orange next.

And lastly, the white.

Didn't turn out too shabby. I didn't quite put all the trim details that my base model has, but it's fairly close.

Put the mirrors on as well.

I decided to tidy up the wiring some more. Can't stand a sloppy truck!!

Placed my jerry cans where they'll be mounted. Should have done that before painting it, but it won't be a big deal to get them to line up.

Pretty good for a nights' work! Since the sun is starting to come up, I guess I'll end this and get some shut-eye!! More tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Looking good Pantz! Hoping to finish mine this evening. It's close
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Default Joined the cool kids club!

Yeah, I'm liking it! I picked up a few more goodies while I was doing a few errands today. Amber & red LEDs at Radio Shack along with a battery holder. Should be lit up by morning. Your guest RC work space will be ready for your arrival, too! Gonna be a shame to beat on these shiny new trucks!!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Pulled another allnighter. Pretty much have my Ascender done. Got the lights in and everything tucked away. I also got most of the interior painted. Everything takes at least two coats except for the black. Most everything is a silver color, like it's stripped down. Still need to paint the driver and the instrument panel. I still had to clean up my basement a bit too. I tend to scatter stuff all over during a project like this. Still have a couple of days to finish the interior, but if it's not done by the weekend, it's not a huge deal. Just crawling with my bro and Tim just got his Ascender a week ago! We shoulda got these things sooner, man! I can't wait to get on the trails and rocks wit it!

Not sure if these lights are gonna cut it. The Ambers are good, but the white LEDs are dim. Everything held in place with hot glue.

Might have to hit Radio Shack again! I used the generic LED strips for the headlamps and they don't seem as bright as before. There's three on each strip; I covered one light on each with some electrical tape. The amber lights I got from the shack.

When I first turned them on....

After I was done painting for the night I turned them back on and this is how they are. I'll probably get a light harness later on.

The interior as it stands now.

I also attached a support for the front of the interior. Just some Plastruct and a block of foam. Don't want anything to permanent so I can get at everything easily should the need arise !

Decided to use the tinted rear window decals after all. Gives a cleaner look to the trim in a few spots. Had to get some decals on there, too.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Woke up a little earlier than normal today and had a little time to finish the paint on the interior. I helped speed that process with a hair dryer. Came out pretty good! I also got my ride height perfect, I think.

Not to shabby.

A little support for the interior while allowing it to be removable.

Looking good!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

One piece of bad news from a Chev expert. The parking lights are on the bottom of the grill. Aka yours is in up side down. Otherwise I love the Orange. Mine is as ready as it's going to be. Let's see if it holds up.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Damn it! No wonder I had such a hard time getting it to line up. I looked at the manual, but it wasn't too clear. Oh well, the way the headlights are dim, it's all gonna have to come apart anyways. Another project for another time! Whataya think of the wagon wheels and these tires? Just a bit small for the body? Like to swap the slingers for the Crushers, but I can't decide...

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Wheels look good, tires are too small. The crushers might look good.

Mine is ready, except my brand new warn winch was DOA. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427937735.981291.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  130.0 KB
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

I think I have my decision. Decided to put the SSD wheels and stock tires back on and give it a whirl around the basement. I like how they look, and they still tuck in pretty well. I like this truck a lot, but even crawling over my one obstacle, the fact that an axle pinion may let go at any time is always in the back of my mind......

Time to get my flex on!!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Finally, today was the day to get the new rig dirty. We were afraid we were going to get rained out since it started coming down yesterday and was even still raining as we were getting ready to go. It stopped just before we loaded up, and not a drop fell on us until about ten minutes after we unloaded everything. Perfect!!

VERY impressed with this truck! I would say it crawls as well as my SCX after years of refinement. Best of all, not a single part failed or malfunctioned in any way. (I did lose a mirror doing donuts in the street after we were done! LOL!)

At first we were a bit gingerly with the new rigs (my bro TGH117 had his new Ascender as well) and slowly started to try more and more of our normal (reckless) driving. We kept warning each other at first - gonna tear up that axle pinion gear, watch it! After was all said and done, we did some trailing, hill climbing, mud bogging, and some HARD rock crawling. Even a few jumps off some perfect obstacles! Both of us had some tumbles down our steep hill climb that sent our truck rolling over a dozen times.

We both liked the stock tires; his rtr's were glue on factory wheels and mine were on my new SSD's. My only mistake was to not trim my interior on the sides enough, and it rubbed on the paint pretty good. I believe I'll just paint those areas with a bit of rust colored paint to match the stuff I already did. Pretty good for a first run!

New and shiny - for about two more minutes!

Who can resist a little mud?

A meeting of the mindless.

Shame it wasn't deep enough to break out the winch.

My nephew really had a good time!

This place has every kind of terrain.

From the top! These pics don't do this hill justice for how steep it is. Every time we come here, we speak of a FOFF build, just for this one spot.

Who says you can't catch a little air with a scaler?

The landings can be a bit rough, though....

Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Took the new truck out for another spin today. Not too long of a run today, due to holiday activities. Long enough, though for a part fail. Not on my built up truck, but on my bro's Ascender. His front driveline sheared off after about three minutes. I was still tinkering with mine on my truck's tailgate. Luckily, I had also brought along my SCX mud truck with its new 2.2 Mud Bashers. Both of us run Spektrums so a quick bind, and we were on our way. Found a couple of nice mud stretches, too! Here's the proof...

Ouch! He has some new HD shafts, but didn't have them with us. Already fixed and ready for tomorrow.

Two VERY different trucks!

Both are fun in the slop! (had a lot more pics, but most were blurry)

Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Well, it happened. Haven't really got into it to check the pinion, but my diff definitely exploded! Enjoyed a good weekend of crawling and trailing and it let go as we were almost back to the SUV last night. Still, it was a lot of fun. Already have had an HD set back ordered on RPP when I originally ordered the truck. I think I'm gonna pick up some metal diff covers, too. Can't hurt!

We had an absolute blast trying to get our trucks up this nearly-vertical hill!

Beautiful day to be in the woods!

Whoops!

More later on tonight when I'll have time to get it apart.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Oh yes, total destruction!!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Yikes!
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Excellent first run out Pantz!
Old 04-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Yeah, the truck is a blast, for sure! I'm sure we stressed the hell out of the drive lines trying to make that steep hill we never conquered. I'd like to give it another go with my scx and see if it could be made. Man, I wish the HD gears would come in stock! I'm not the only one with an idle truck awaiting parts! That's why I waited this long to buy it. I figured the first run with the crap diffs would've been gone. RPP must've bought a crapload of kits when they came out is all I can say. I just hope the aftermarket keeps churning out products for it! YOU HEAR ME Robinson Racing?!?! LOL! MIP has to have axles in the works, too.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Alright! Finally found some ring gears in stock! My backordered HD pinion gears finally arrived, too. While i was at it, I also picked up a set of HR diff covers, too. Be ready for the trails soon. Should have them early next week.

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter

Joined the cool kids club! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guess Who Joined The Force Club Supreme Reign Kyosho Crawlers 27 11-09-2014 04:49 PM
Just Joined The TF2 Club hibbs RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 12-27-2012 08:49 PM
Joined the Club LeDevil HPI Wheely King 19 03-08-2010 09:38 PM
I joined the Honcho Club YAY! A DOG Axial SCX-10 17 02-28-2010 01:43 PM
Joined the mini 4x4 club TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 9 05-22-2007 06:47 PM