RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   What to do. Won't stop breaking (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/532479-what-do-wont-stop-breaking.html)

slohatch 04-08-2015 06:59 PM

What to do. Won't stop breaking

I have two ascenders. Bought one on the first kits and assembled and loved it. So when the rtr became available I bought another. I have a ton of upgrades done to both all the Vaterra aluminum parts Vaterra simulated rotor weights savox 500oz servo and MIP driveshafts along with HD pinions in both. Now my kit is fine but my RTR is just snapping front axles left and right. 4 of them this weekend alone. $80 dollars down the drain and don't wanna call horizon and complain. Anyone have any ideas before I just it to the side and buy something else that doesn't cost me every time I drive it.

Duuuuuuuude 04-08-2015 07:00 PM

Re: What to do. Won't stop breaking

Adjust your slipper clutch.

MudMonster 04-08-2015 08:56 PM

I've got the same problem. Not as bad as you but the front axels are definatly the next wweak point i think needs to be addressed

bennett 04-09-2015 12:31 AM

There has to be a stronger option in 2 broken axles on my last 2 runs

MudMonster 04-09-2015 05:37 AM

Agreed ive been trying to get some help on this qqsubject for a couple months now but as of yet aeem to be getting completely ignored

Crusty Old Shellback 04-09-2015 07:43 AM

If you've broken that many drive shafts, there has to be something else going on. maybe some serious binding in the front axle or tires.

I've done some hard core crawling with mine and only broke one front drive shaft when the front tires got stuck and I hit the throttle. I've done a bunch of reverse wheelies with mine on pavement playing around which I know puts a lot of torque load on the front drive shaft and haven't had any issues.

johnnyh66 04-09-2015 08:17 AM

You guys need to complain to Vaterra. The more failures they log the more likely they will do something about it... they've essentially said this.

johnnyh66 04-09-2015 08:18 AM

Have you noticed when they break?
Are they breaking when at full lock or in a tire bind or just out for a Sunday drive?

Rich Trujillo 04-09-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slohatch (Post 5197690)
n and don't wanna call horizon and complain. Anyone have any ideas before I just it to the side and buy something else that doesn't cost me every time I drive it.

I would appreciate it if you would call and complain. I hate for you to take time out of your day, specially after this experience but it's the only true we we can document what is going out there.

If you have a chance, i'd like to explore why you are breaking these. Could you shoot me an email at rtrujillo@horizonhobby.com

Thanks,
Rich

M1tch 04-09-2015 09:26 AM

I have broken one front left axle, but that was some time ago. I was full throttle trying to get over a wet log, so only blame myself.

It's a good idea to inform Vaterra, as they seem to back their products well, so hopefully theywill look in to it.

I do carry a spare axle with me now, but haven't broken another yet.

EeePee 04-09-2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh66 (Post 5198075)
Are they breaking when at full lock or in a tire bind or just out for a Sunday drive?

Or jumping it off a 20 foot drop? Bashing as they say.

Wonder how many people don't have this problem?

I'd love to have one of these, but I have no need. But I'm curious if they're as fragile as the handful of posts here make them out to be or if it's just people driving them in ways not meant to be.

MudMonster 04-09-2015 09:35 AM

Im not blaming vaterra at all really. The first one i broke i was plowing through about 6" of snow the next was in this mud hole http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...7f10bc6afd.jpg
I know im hard on my ascender id just like to see an hd replacement option for this

EeePee 04-09-2015 09:40 AM

How cold is it?

Nissan231 04-09-2015 11:10 AM

I recon tire size might be a factor as well. I have the 1.9 compass tires and have only broken a rear pinion. But I am only running a axial 27t on 3s. I think people expect every truck to be able to handle a pro4 on 3s without any problems. It's like putting a big block in a stock toyota 4x4. Maybe I am wrong...

Duuuuuuuude 04-09-2015 11:12 AM

Every rig has its weak points.

EeePee 04-09-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissan231 (Post 5198209)
Maybe I am wrong...

No, you're exactly RIGHT.

MudMonster 04-09-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissan231 (Post 5198209)
I recon tire size might be a factor as well. I have the 1.9 compass tires and have only broken a rear pinion. But I am only running a axial 27t on 3s. I think people expect every truck to be able to handle a pro4 on 3s without any problems. It's like putting a big block in a stock toyota 4x4. Maybe I am wrong...

Agreed and i am running a 5700kv motor and 2.2's so i get there is alot of stress on my drive line thats why i have uprgraded it as much as possible what i am asking for is a viable hd replacement. Idc if its somthing that needs to be modified to work like using ax10 axles in a scx10. Theres obviously enoigh people out there snapping them that its not a isolated issue. Im not blaming vatera at all. All im asking for is help and suggestions and if there is anyone out there that has done this.

EeePee 04-09-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMonster (Post 5198265)
Theres obviously enoigh people out there snapping them that its not a isolated issue.

Where? Got examples?

5700kv and 2.2s :ror:

MudMonster 04-09-2015 05:44 PM

Well considering this is the 4th or 5th thread in the last couple months on this forum alone....

EeePee 04-09-2015 05:49 PM

It is? I don't see them.