RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/538944-natedogs-vaterra-ascender.html)

Natedog 11-29-2015 01:12 PM

Re: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc2000 (Post 5339893)
SSD...

Those are nice, I had the 2.2 version of them. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc2000 (Post 5339894)
Just ordered my second Ascender. I'm going to wait for the GCM kit to incorporate it into the build. I'm going to try and do a build thread, try.

Nice, me too. Get your thread going, that over and under drive tranny conversion is sweet.

Deanihilator,
Those air nailers are nice but dangerous, hope your thumb heals up well and fast! Don't put to much weight on your tires, hard on driveline, kills acceleration, and makes crawling to easy. IIRC the rc4wd steelies are about 70 grams each , I'll check and get back with you. Aluminum or steel is fine, but the wheels that your like. I'm not a fan of 2.2 and have not stretched smaller tires onto larger rims, but I've seen plenty of people do it successfully...give it a shot and let us know. "Thumbsup"

I'll try to get a pic of my front rocklight mounting. Those VP lights are rather large for this scale and too bright imo.

rc2000 11-30-2015 06:45 AM

I know you referenced the SMC shorty packs in a previous post. Have you used these in the Ascender? If so, how do they compare to the Orion packs, besides price?

Natedog 11-30-2015 12:04 PM

SMC packs seem about same as orion pack, maybe not quite as much runtime 4400 versus 4600 mah though. I haven't officially timed the two for runtime and feels like maybe little better long lasting punch from the Orion, but hard to tell for sure with such a low amp draw motor and esc. Any differences would be much more noticeable with say ROC412 or Holmes hobbies brushless. Either orion or SMC have been good and SMC is half the price of Orion so I'd go with SMC. "Thumbsup"

rc2000 12-01-2015 03:38 PM

What did you use for your internal shock limiters? I think the diameter of mine are a little to big and its restricting rebound.

norcallump 12-01-2015 03:49 PM

Natedog it was great crawling with you! I really need to do your sway bar set up. On your next ascender really try the shortwheel base. You will like it! I'm working on new links... servo winch for Dec 13 trail ride... get SSD!

Brainstain 12-01-2015 08:35 PM

I just read the whole thread. The places you have to run your trucks is amazing. I love playing in the muddy creeks and woods here in Indiana but it would be nice to have places like you have.

norcallump 12-01-2015 10:28 PM

we are lucky to have as many different places to crawl as we do!

Natedog 12-02-2015 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc2000 (Post 5342366)
What did you use for your internal shock limiters? I think the diameter of mine are a little to big and its restricting rebound.

That could be restricting your oil flow.

I used some 3mm ID shock limiter spacers. Shock pistons work great if both holes in all four shocks is drilled out to #55 bit with 30wt oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 5342369)
Natedog it was great crawling with you! I really need to do your sway bar set up. On your next ascender really try the shortwheel base. You will like it! I'm working on new links... servo winch for Dec 13 trail ride... get SSD!

Thanks and likewise man! Yes swaybar is huge improvement! I might try that, yours works pretty good, I was skepitcal about the shorter wb but it works! Looking forward to seeing your new links and servo winch. Get SSD what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainstain (Post 5342539)
I just read the whole thread. The places you have to run your trucks is amazing. I love playing in the muddy creeks and woods here in Indiana but it would be nice to have places like you have.

Thanks we are blessed with lots of great rock and dirt trails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 5342588)
we are lucky to have as many different places to crawl as we do!

"thumbsup"

My 95mm long, 0.093" diameter home-made swaybar bench flex test was same as softest Wraith bar, but in actual trail and rock crawling use it seems to allow a little more flex, just the right amount! I'm very pleased with how it turned out and am doing more testing with it before making anymore changes. "thumbsup"

rc2000 12-02-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5342648)
That could be restricting your oil flow.

I used Associated Electrics shock limiter spacers part number 6466. Shock pistons work great if both holes in all four shocks is drilled out to #55 bit with 30wt oil.

Thanks Nate. I started to drill those at first than decided not to. It does look like the c clip impedes the oil flow somewhat. I appreciate the information.

norcallump 12-02-2015 07:41 AM

You know your going to have to make me a sway bar now... SSD wheels. I got a set for my boy. 15 minutes to mount all 4!

Big Bill 12-03-2015 05:08 PM

"I used Associated Electrics shock limiter spacers part number 6466. Shock pistons work great if both holes in all four shocks is drilled out to #55 bit with 30wt oil."

Nate I did your shock mod today, going to try it out Sat. In looking at a few of your photos I see you left the rubber bumpers on the external shock shaft any reason for that? I removed mine but can put them back if necessary. 9MM limiters and #55 drill bit for the pistons. The more I do with this rig the more I like it."thumbsup" Also went to 3S with a BPC battery mount, I like the extra power when needed.

Natedog 12-03-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc2000 (Post 5342710)
Thanks Nate. I started to drill those at first than decided not to. It does look like the c clip impedes the oil flow somewhat. I appreciate the information.

Drill both piston holes on all four pistons to #55 bit, it works great even though the clips are kinda in the way, this is the fix! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 5342727)
You know your going to have to make me a sway bar now... SSD wheels. I got a set for my boy. 15 minutes to mount all 4!

You have to buy the Axial Wraith front swaybar first. ;-) SSD makes nice wheels for sure, but I have something else in mind this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill (Post 5343631)
"I used Associated Electrics shock limiter spacers part number 6466. Shock pistons work great if both holes in all four shocks is drilled out to #55 bit with 30wt oil."

Nate I did your shock mod today, going to try it out Sat. In looking at a few of your photos I see you left the rubber bumpers on the external shock shaft any reason for that? I removed mine but can put them back if necessary. 9MM limiters and #55 drill bit for the pistons. The more I do with this rig the more I like it."thumbsup" Also went to 3S with a BPC battery mount, I like the extra power when needed.

Yes, leave the external bumpstops on the shocks, they soften the really hard hits and keep travel limited to a reasonable amount. Yes, 9mm (3/8") internal limiting is achieved by using three black 3mm thickness spacers per shock. Yep, I'm loving my Ascender so much I have a special deja deux coming! Nice, 3S is great for when you need a little more to crest a difficult climb.

norcallump 12-03-2015 07:31 PM

I got the sway bar on order, just need you to make the bar you just made...lol

Natedog 12-04-2015 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 5343762)
I got the sway bar on order, just need you to make the bar you just made...lol

Cool and before mods or anybody asks, I'm not selling anything and don't have vendor star. Pm'ed you dude. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesesteakdork (Post 5343869)
Awesome thread!!

Thanks! :)

norcallump 12-04-2015 09:01 AM

That's cool man... I'm still going to try to duplicate your work.

svt923 12-04-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5339735)
I like my rc4wd steel wagon wheel beadlocks. Trying to decide what metal beadlocks on my second ascender? Need to decide on body too, I have Deadbolt and Honcho but am considering another pickup types body with 12 to 12.3 inch wheelbase.

An Ascender aficionado such as yourself needs to go with the Bronco body. There is something about the stupidly short wheelbase combined with the great capability of the Ascender chassis that makes it a blast to drive. The Blazer is cool but the Bronco is more fun. "thumbsup"

Natedog 12-04-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 5344091)
That's cool man... I'm still going to try to duplicate your work.

"thumbsup"8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5344101)
An Ascender aficionado such as yourself needs to go with the Bronco body. There is something about the stupidly short wheelbase combined with the great capability of the Ascender chassis that makes it a blast to drive. The Blazer is cool but the Bronco is more fun. "thumbsup"

Thanks, what is it about the Bronco body besides it's good looks that makes it such a blast to drive? "thumbsup"

svt923 12-04-2015 11:28 AM

Its a combination of the super short wheelbase and smaller overhangs added to the same steering and suspension that makes the Ascender great. The Bronco is so short and wide it doesn't look like it should perform as well as it does and there is some extra enjoyment in that. Its hard to fully explain but its much different from the 12+ inch wheelbase trucks and worth a try.

I do have to add that small tires (4.2 or smaller) are a must for the Bronco otherwise it looks way too jacked up.

norcallump 12-04-2015 02:34 PM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12...a55a23c16d.jpg

Short wheel base is the sheeznit

Natedog 12-05-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5344185)
Its a combination of the super short wheelbase and smaller overhangs added to the same steering and suspension that makes the Ascender great. The Bronco is so short and wide it doesn't look like it should perform as well as it does and there is some extra enjoyment in that. Its hard to fully explain but its much different from the 12+ inch wheelbase trucks and worth a try.

I do have to add that small tires (4.2 or smaller) are a must for the Bronco otherwise it looks way too jacked up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 5344276)
Short wheel base is the sheeznit

Interesting, maybe I'll try the short wheelbase later, need to test drive one first lol. "thumbsup"

Couple pics from crawl the other weekend, ShapeShifter's Komodo with Ascender axles, my Blazer and iirc Aaron's Wraith. We were too busy cralwing and chatting to take many pics, although ShapeShifter took a nice video posted here in his Komender thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...der-axles.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pspdro0gy5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps4t6elf3v.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pstfdz2tzq.jpg

Oh looky what followed me home lol! :lmao: Couldn't forget the SSD goodness too! 8) Build in progress, rear bumper mounts flipped, black stickers applied in grill, swaybar and SSD Rockshield Diff Covers. "thumbsup" Good thing my swaybar jig is still setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psg2kjizve.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps0bhgdhnd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psmoswa4ys.jpg