RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/538944-natedogs-vaterra-ascender.html)

Bananaclip 02-29-2016 06:48 PM

Re: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Nate, I love the pics! Your rig is an inspiration for all ascender owners for certain. I love the KLR's as well. They are a wide tire and I run Locked up wheels with their widener ring. The wheel and ring is made for the tire. Looks and fits spot on. I also run single stage TSL XL CI foams and vent the tires with 4 2mm leather punch holes in the front and 3 in the back. I have all 3 compounds and like the blues best for Wv terrain.

Natedog 03-01-2016 11:09 AM

Thanks, KLRs a great looking tire too, I may have to try a set! Great info on the foams/wheel setup you're using, thanks! LockedUpRC makes nice wheels too, I'll have to look at your pics again. :)

JatoTheRipper 03-01-2016 12:39 PM

I've scanned through your thread. I haven't had a time to read it all. Lots of great info.

Do you still think the HR Wraith swaybar set is the best way to go to control torque twist?

Natedog 03-01-2016 02:16 PM

Thanks, I do still think the Axial (not HR) Front Swaybar kit is the best way to tame TT with the Ascender. :) HR will work too, but the quality is not as good.
The Soft bar works great.

AX30781
Wraith Front Sway Bar Set (Soft, Medium, Firm)
http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30781

963567 03-01-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5325650)
I've been storing my lipos in an airtight steel ammo box, charging while attended on concrete or metal plate, but decided to upgrade safety and provide more isolation betwween batteries during storage. Ordered several Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack (PRODUCT ID: LPGUARD18x22), these are very nice quality, lined bags with good velcro!
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6466-ASC6466-shock_downstops_travel_limiters_/
Adjusted spring preload so that the collars bottom against shock caps and on the bench it looks perfect! Pic to come.

Sensei, please make a photo of the shocks with all this features. Your kung-fu is stronger than my kung-fu. I don't get everything you describe. Please!

JatoTheRipper 03-01-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5456955)
Thanks, I do still think the Axial (not HR) Front Swaybar kit is the best way to tame TT with the Ascender. :) HR will work too, but the quality is not as good.
The Soft bar works great.

AX30781
Wraith Front Sway Bar Set (Soft, Medium, Firm)
Axial Racing - Wraith Front Sway Bar Set (Soft, Medium, Firm)

Thanks! I'll have to try them!

Natedog 03-02-2016 12:12 PM

You're welcome! :)

I picked up some supplies at LHS the other day and started fabbing some scale accessories with a dual purpose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psmu9dk0bj.jpg

Pictures for guidance, since I don't have my old 60" Hi-Lift anymore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psautv3ee7.jpg

First step of the first part to build.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psgzis0oie.jpg

EeePee 03-02-2016 12:46 PM

I just had to approve post #410

Natedog 03-02-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 963567 (Post 5456956)
Sensei, please make a photo of the shocks with all this features. Your kung-fu is stronger than my kung-fu. I don't get everything you describe. Please!

I'll get some pics of the shocks for you. "thumbsup"

@Eepee, thanks! I was like where'd that post come from lol. :)

EricM 03-02-2016 04:08 PM

I'm curious if the ascender has different bodies for it? Also, who makes them? Thanks

rockhugger 03-02-2016 10:57 PM

Yes Nates Va'Blazer definately has some Kung-Fu, rock crawling Kung-Fu!!!

Moon rocks was a blast!! It had been a while, and definately brought back memories of old Parker courses.

Natedog 03-03-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricM (Post 5457816)
I'm curious if the ascender has different bodies for it? Also, who makes them? Thanks

Pretty much any body with proper wheelbase can fit, like any crawler. Find the body you like and adjust your wheelbase to fit or shop for body with wheelbase that you want and then check the width and height dimensions too. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockhugger (Post 5458091)
Yes Nates Va'Blazer definately has some Kung-Fu, rock crawling Kung-Fu!!!

Moon rocks was a blast!! It had been a while, and definately brought back memories of old Parker courses.

Va'Blazer....I like it and thanks Kung-Fu grip!!!

Yes, it was!!! "thumbsup"

Big Bill 03-04-2016 07:36 AM

Nice photos of Moon Rocks Nate. I have personally seen the Kung Fu Grip ( KFG) Blazer in action and it does work well. Oh and the driver he does a pretty good job himself"thumbsup"

CODYBOY 03-04-2016 10:21 AM

Hey Nate, have you given any thought to your rock sliders. I'm in between orders right now, and getting ready to start a Twin Hammer build, so I'm ready when you are."thumbsup"
Ernie,

Natedog 03-04-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill (Post 5458816)
Nice photos of Moon Rocks Nate. I have personally seen the Kung Fu Grip ( KFG) Blazer in action and it does work well. Oh and the driver he does a pretty good job himself"thumbsup"

THanks Bill! 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODYBOY (Post 5458895)
Hey Nate, have you given any thought to your rock sliders. I'm in between orders right now, and getting ready to start a Twin Hammer build, so I'm ready when you are."thumbsup"
Ernie,

Hey Ernie,
I have not given it enough thought, kinda got writer's block or something lol. I need to look around at some more pics. :)

CODYBOY 03-04-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5458913)
THanks Bill! 8)

Hey Ernie,
I have not given it enough thought, kinda got writer's block or something lol. I need to look around at some more pics. :)

OK, I know how that works. I have my Hammer spread out in my scale
garage hoping it will tell me what it wants to look like.:lmao:

EricM 03-04-2016 03:42 PM

What size battery are you runnin? I'm going to be getting one in a couple weeks. Not sure about kit or rtr though. I like building the kit. What do you recommend for electronics if not going rtr?

Natedog 03-04-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODYBOY (Post 5458953)
OK, I know how that works. I have my Hammer spread out in my scale
garage hoping it will tell me what it wants to look like.:lmao:

Yes and thanks! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricM (Post 5459062)
What size battery are you runnin? I'm going to be getting one in a couple weeks. Not sure about kit or rtr though. I like building the kit. What do you recommend for electronics if not going rtr?

Orion Shorty pack 2S, 4500mah and SMC Shorty pack 2s 4400mah. "thumbsup"

Bluerock108 03-04-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5459078)
Yes and thanks! "thumbsup"

Orion Shorty pack 2S, 4500mah and SMC Shorty pack 2s 4400mah. "thumbsup"

Im running 2200 3s in the ascender and I love the power. How do the 2s 4500mah compare with them. By the way thanks for all the info you have provided.

Natedog 03-04-2016 11:15 PM

I've run that same battery and it's great power! I'll probably do 2-speed and stay with 2s. You're welcome and glad I could help! :)

RCHuffer 03-08-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5446323)
Thanks! "thumbsup"
New tires have been soaking in water/Simple Green mix for couple days now and ready to scrub mould release off.

Great thread/build/info"thumbsup"
I'm tripping on the mileage you got off the original tires and the fact that they work great. What does this Mixture (quote above)do for these tires? I've yet to learn about this trick. Does it make them stickier? And did you do this with the original tires from the RTR?

Natedog 03-09-2016 09:42 AM

Thanks, the RTR and kit tires are the same, I love the size, good traction, looks! The water with Simple Green mix helps clean the mould release off the tires and makes them stickier. I did this with NIP kit tires I bought from RCC member and mounted on the RC4WD white spokes. Did it to my kit tires too. "thumbsup" :)

Mir2 03-14-2016 02:18 PM

Hello Friend.

You have a very good car and I liked the torsion bar.

Anyway, I liked that the stabilizer bar but no reference has that piece, is not no where to buy and what is worse not know how to put it.

See if you can help me.

Thank you.

JatoTheRipper 03-15-2016 08:24 AM

Why did you choose the CI foams for the Rock Beasts instead of those labeled as "DEUCE'S WILD SINGLE STAGE FOR 1.9 TIRES; 4.60”-4.40” TALL"?

I'm considering DW foams, but I'm afraid they'll be too stiff for my stock Ascender that will have very little weight added to it.

Natedog 03-15-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mir2 (Post 5465606)
Hello Friend.

You have a very good car and I liked the torsion bar.

Anyway, I liked that the stabilizer bar but no reference has that piece, is not no where to buy and what is worse not know how to put it.

See if you can help me.

Thank you.

PM'ed you. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5466080)
Why did you choose the CI foams for the Rock Beasts instead of those labeled as "DEUCE'S WILD SINGLE STAGE FOR 1.9 TIRES; 4.60”-4.40” TALL"?

I'm considering DW foams, but I'm afraid they'll be too stiff for my stock Ascender that will have very little weight added to it.

Hmmmm, didn't see that option when I bought foams before, not sure it it was available then. Where did the part number listings go on CI's site? Here's a comparison of the CI DW Pitbull Rockbeast, Pro-Line TSL XL, and the ones that you mentioned...strange that it lists from larger od to smaller od, usually specs are given the opposite way. I have several other CI DW foams with part numbers written on the foams themselves, but no header cards saying what they are for. Part numbers listed on CI site would help. I chose the Pitbull Rockbeast foams to allow some squish in the tire tread, yet wide enough to support the sidewall. They work great, but ideally I think about 1/16" - 3/32" wider and about 1/8" taller would be perfect. I've used his dual stage foams before and they work great, but are not waterprooof and soften with use much more than his closed cell DWs.

Product Comparison: Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast Foam Pair VS Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 Proline TSL SX *XL* Foam Pair (2) VS Deuce's Wild Single Stage for 1.9 Tires; 4.60

Sammy J. 03-15-2016 11:04 AM

in Colorado we have hobby store that mainly does rock crawling vehicles. The owner is very knowledgable about all things crawler.
When I went in and told him I needed foams for my stock Ascender tires he immediately grabbed a set of CI DW Rock Beast foams. So far I really like them.
A cool thing about CI is that you can email them with what your truck is, what it weighs, and what your intended use is and they will tell you what set of foams will work best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 03-15-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5466150)
Hmmmm, didn't see that option when I bought foams before, not sure it it was available then. Where did the part number listings go on CI's site? Here's a comparison of the CI DW Pitbull Rockbeast, Pro-Line TSL XL, and the ones that you mentioned...strange that it lists from larger od to smaller od, usually specs are given the opposite way. I have several other CI DW foams with part numbers written on the foams themselves, but no header cards saying what they are for. Part numbers listed on CI site would help. I chose the Pitbull Rockbeast foams to allow some squish in the tire tread, yet wide enough to support the sidewall. They work great, but ideally I think about 1/16" - 3/32" wider and about 1/8" taller would be perfect. I've used his dual stage foams before and they work great, but are not waterprooof and soften with use much more than his closed cell DWs.

Product Comparison: Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast Foam Pair VS Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 Proline TSL SX *XL* Foam Pair (2) VS Deuce's Wild Single Stage for 1.9 Tires; 4.60

P/N: CWR-3008
Here's the linK: Deuce's Wild Single Stage for 1.9 Tires; 4.60

Natedog 03-15-2016 11:20 AM

Sammy J., glad to hear more LHS are stocking CI foams, mine does too. Glad that you're liking the foams so far. :)

JatoTheRipper, Thanks I overlooked the part number, have to click on each tire for details and then read lol. :oops::mrgreen: I'll re-measure the stock Ascender tires and might need to buy a set of those foams, thanks!

JatoTheRipper 03-15-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5466176)
JatoTheRipper, Thanks I overlooked the part number, have to click on each tire for details and then read lol. :oops::mrgreen: I'll re-measure the stock Ascender tires and might need to buy a set of those foams, thanks!

Thank you! I wish CI listed dimensions of their foams. It's an annoying omission.

Natedog 03-15-2016 11:56 AM

Little scale styrene fab update:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psmm0si0mg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pshhxzctyb.jpg

Life always seems so busy...
Red and I were kinda tired last night after painting the first batch of what seems like miles of baseboard, but we had to make time to check out the sweet new rock sliders that Codyboy built for me. Sliders are mix of tube and solid steel, with baked on high temp gloss black paint and look awesome! Hopefully bolt them on tonight after more baseboard painting.

Thanks again Codyboy! 8) :) "thumbsup"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps7rmyieim.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psnnegl01q.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psef2ixzpz.jpg

Natedog 03-16-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 963567 (Post 5456956)

Here's the pictures of the shocks and spring preload adjusters that you requested. "thumbsup"

Fronts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps0cx4h0fz.jpg

Rears:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pswt53y6tz.jpg

963567 03-16-2016 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Natedog;5466903]Here's the pictures of the shocks and spring preload adjusters that you requested. "thumbsup"

Sensei, it looks you have not yet installed any TA down stoppers. Am I right?

How do new lower links help to improve Ascender?

And you promised to tell us about aluminium upper link mounts. Are they worth $13 (strc)? And what do they effort?

Thanks for your knowledge and experience!

Natedog 03-16-2016 12:15 PM

Those two pictures are with 9mm (3/8") down travel stoppers (internal limiters) installed inside the shock absorbers.

New lower links add a little weight down low, are much stronger than stock (I have not bent the stock aluminum lower links yet) and are very nicely machined (looks great).

STRC aluminum upper link mounts are not necessary, I have not broken the stock plastic pieces and if you are rough with your Ascender, plastic parts help prevent breaking something else. STRC aluminum are a nice option, look good, and come in a couple different colors if you want to dress it up. For $13 they are a great deal, here's all the parts they currently offer for the Vaterra Ascender:
Vaterra Blazer Ascender/Ford Bronco

You're welcome! :)

Androtaz 03-16-2016 05:22 PM

I have bent one of the metal links. Bad 10' fall. passenger front wheel hit first and bent the link. bent it back strait and still running it today. To be honest its the first time I have ever bent a metal link.

Androtaz 03-16-2016 05:26 PM

I tried a set of the tsl xl's in my rock beast they really filled the tires too much. they do have them labeled for the rock beasts. I have a set. much better fit then the others.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5466150)
PM'ed you. :)

Natedog 03-16-2016 05:28 PM

Yes, I've bent some titanium links too, good field fix, no cracks in it when you bent it back? My Axial SCX10 front lower links bent into "high-clearance" links pretty quickly. :)

JatoTheRipper 03-17-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androtaz (Post 5467102)
I have bent one of the metal links. Bad 10' fall. passenger front wheel hit first and bent the link. bent it back strait and still running it today. To be honest its the first time I have ever bent a metal link.

I bent a link on my Ascender on my first time out. That is also my first time ever bending a link.

I PMed CI about the size of the Rock Beast Deuce's Wild versus the 4.60"-4.40" foams. He hasn't gotten back to me. So I ordered the Rock Beast size foams because that's all RPP had in stock. I'll see how I like them. If worse comes to worse I'll order the 4.60"-4.40" foams as well.

Natedog 03-17-2016 10:29 AM

I wish CI listed the diameter and widths of foams, would make it much easier to buy (and trim if needed) the best foams to fit our Ascender (and other) tires. I have the CI DW Rockbeast foams and TSL XL foams, would love to know what the dimensions of the CWR-3008 foams are...they look promising for the Vaterra TSLs, but since site doesn't give any sizes it's hard to know. I stopped by LHS yesterday to check them and purchase (they stock a lot of CI products), but unfortunately they didn't have the CWR-3008 foams in stock. They said they are waiting on a large order, but couldn't tell me if those were in the order or if they ordered them.

Natedog 03-17-2016 11:10 AM

SLiders installed, fit and finish is awesome, thanks Ernie! 8)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psvozerflw.jpg

Little hard to see in this pic due to lighting and black color. Just need to get out and scratch them up a little on the trails. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pstxmbbgzs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psx0cpfh4t.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psxs1h5mey.jpg

Asuckaphish 03-17-2016 12:25 PM

Great thread! Very informative. I just recently purchased and Ascender and installed the Wraith front sway bar last night. Just curious how you took up the play/slop where the sway bar goes through the ball links. The side to side is not an issue with spacers it's the diameter of the ball links being slightly larger than the diameter of the bar.

Thx