Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #301
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Great idea. I may look at it myself when I get a minute and see if I can make it happen! I'm already keeping up with my local modded axial guys but kinda want to really leave them behind with my fat a$$ blazer just because lol. Every little mod helps for sure!
Ben
Sometimes that fat Blazer got me through some spots a lot easier than other rigs. I was able to lean on the side of body and use it as support. A good comparison would be a honcho, just doesn't have that much body on the side.
rc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #302
I wanna be Dave

Yes, that's good point...part that really gets in the way for me is the big square front corner edges at the hood/fender, second is the front overhang/bumper requires just the right angle of approach and sometimes not do-able...but I still love my Blazer.

I'm hunting for a complete two-speed tranny with metal gears.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #303
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'm hunting for a complete two-speed tranny with metal gears.
I was lucky to find one on ebay. Rc recyclers is their name and they had a complete twin hammers set with upgraded metal everything. It was $100 give or take but I love it now it's working right. Still needed to buy a shift servo too.

I'm watching the weather and it's supposed to be above freezing this week and weekend. Hopefully I'll get a few melted spots where I can wheel on some dirt hopefully!! You guys with your permanent summer weather are teasing me!!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #304
I wanna be Dave

Stock servo output shaft is really wobbly now, which Hitec servo should I run, trying to avoid installing my FXR with BEC, HS-7955TG or HS-7950TH? It's been so long I forget if the HS7955TG will be ok on 2S without BEC...anybody? HS7950Th...prolly need BEC?

New tires and wheels! removed all the window stickers except the rear side windows and colored the window rubbbers with a black Sharpie, silver Sharpie is on my shopping list to color in the metal trim on the rubbers.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:02 AM   #305
I wanna be Dave

7950 is probably overkill for this rig. I believe the 7955 requires 6 volts to avoid brown outs.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:08 AM   #306
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was lucky to find one on ebay. Rc recyclers is their name and they had a complete twin hammers set with upgraded metal everything. It was $100 give or take but I love it now it's working right. Still needed to buy a shift servo too.

I'm watching the weather and it's supposed to be above freezing this week and weekend. Hopefully I'll get a few melted spots where I can wheel on some dirt hopefully!! You guys with your permanent summer weather are teasing me!!
Ben
Thanks, that's one of the places I've looked and he usually has good quality and well described parts. I'm in no hurry at the moment and have a Hitec HS-925MG all fresh rebuilt waiting for overkill shifting duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
7950 is probably overkill for this rig. I believe the 7955 requires 6 volts to avoid brown outs.
Yes lol, just a bit, but I've got it sitting here. OK, sounds about correct...checking stock RTR specs. I'm going to need two Ascender steering servos, one for my main machine (number 1) and one for backup truck (number 2).
Old 01-31-2016, 12:20 AM   #307
I wanna be Dave

QUICRUN 10 BRUSHED
HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN Brushed System
2A/5V (Linear Mode)

Couldn't find BEC specs for Vaterra WP 60A FWD/REV Brushed ESC (DYNS2210), but here's the published specs, love note #1 lol...not a submarine:
WP 60A FWD/REV Brushed ESC | HorizonHobby

Key Features
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Waterproof for all weather operation1
LiPo and NiMH compatible
Program functions changed with the use of jumper pins
Up to an 8T motor limit
Removable mounting tabs create an even smaller footprint and allow hard mounting in a wide variety of vehicles
Crawler running mode
Pre-wired with EC3 battery connector and RTR compatible motor bullets for easy installation
Overview

This waterproof, brushed ESC is NiMH/LiPo compatible and offers forward/brake/reverse, forward/brake and crawler drive modes. Its compatibility makes it an ideal replacement ESC or the perfect upgrade to your current non-LiPo, non-waterproof, or limited motor spec ESC.

1 While waterproof, this component has not been designed to immerse in water for long periods of time and should NOT be treated like a submarine. Please be sure to read through the general precautions listed in the user’s manual.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 AM   #308
I wanna be Dave

I would guess that the integrated BEC is less than 6v.....maybe 5v.....again, just a guess.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:31 AM   #309
I wanna be Dave

You're probably correct, 5volts isn't going to cut it, guess it's BEC for both Ascenders...thought about HH Waterproof BRXL ESC since it's waterproof and supposedly has not needed BEC with servos like these?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:34 AM   #310
I wanna be Dave

I have a spare 7955 that I will be using when the stock servo dies and I'll just add a BEC because my plan is too keep the stock ESC for as long as possible!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:24 AM   #311
RCC Addict

Can't help on the parts discussion, having not used any BUT that rig looks so right, trimmed body, lowered, wheels and tyres, sharpiemanship cool
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #312
RCC Addict

I have the 7955tg on mine with a hey ok bec set to 6 volts. Amazing! I got the adjustable one so if I want/need to adjust I can with nothing more than a screwdriver and volt meter. I don't like the idea of having to get a link and program like others need.

Truck looks great with its battle scars!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #313
Rock Crawler

I would definitely go with the BEC. I also like Holmes Hobbies wire harness. Eliminates the need for removing any wires from Esc to rx, just plug and play.

Holmes Hobbies LLC

Holmes Hobbies LLC
rc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #314
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I have a spare 7955 that I will be using when the stock servo dies and I'll just add a BEC because my plan is too keep the stock ESC for as long as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Can't help on the parts discussion, having not used any BUT that rig looks so right, trimmed body, lowered, wheels and tyres, sharpiemanship cool
Thanks, bought a FOUR pack of silver Sharpies for more trim...they didn't have singles or two pack in silver.

Quote:
I have the 7955tg on mine with a hey ok bec set to 6 volts. Amazing! I got the adjustable one so if I want/need to adjust I can with nothing more than a screwdriver and volt meter. I don't like the idea of having to get a link and program like others need.

Truck looks great with its battle scars!
Thanks, how's the servo doing for you? HeyOK BEC looks nice, but I've already got Castle and have used them for years. I was looking at waterproofing it with conformal coating, but it's a two board unit (haven't cut it open yet) and therefore looks to plug into each other. Any coating might cause electrical connection problems later by wicking down into the connections...anybody open one of these up and/or conformal coat one and how did it turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc2000 View Post
I would definitely go with the BEC. I also like Holmes Hobbies wire harness. Eliminates the need for removing any wires from Esc to rx, just plug and play.

Holmes Hobbies LLC

Holmes Hobbies LLC
Yes, I'm going to go with BEC, those HH wire harness are awesome! I have a couple of the older standard type and bought couple of the heavy duty (thicker wire gauge) when they came out...the best way to setup BEC for sure! Going to make pass through power plug harness (like the HeyOK BEC uses) to hook up my BEC, rocklights and headlights all to battery voltage, which should fix my rock lights and make headlights little brighter.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #315
RCC Addict

For a newb like me the servo is amazing! Does what I when I want it and fast too. I just used some liquid electrical tape to seal the seams and where the wires go in. I didn't dare take something that expensive apart lol. I did pack behind the pitman arm with marine grease to help keep water out of shaft and gears. I don't submarine my rig so wasn't too worried about it.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #316
I wanna be Dave

I use a lowly 645mg.

Sharpies are a must, have several in various colors - black touches up everything - handy as heck.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #317
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For a newb like me the servo is amazing! Does what I when I want it and fast too. I just used some liquid electrical tape to seal the seams and where the wires go in. I didn't dare take something that expensive apart lol. I did pack behind the pitman arm with marine grease to help keep water out of shaft and gears. I don't submarine my rig so wasn't too worried about it.
Thanks for input, it was good servo in my Wraith for awhile, but I drove my Wraith very hard and servo developed geartrain slop...all rebuilt now, would be perfect in the Ascender. I usually use black RTV to seal up like that and grease around output shaft. I'm not a submariner either....not really fond of that much water and the damage it does eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I use a lowly 645mg.

Sharpies are a must, have several in various colors - black touches up everything - handy as heck.
645 used to be my go to steering servo in crawlers, huge improvement over the RTR servo.

Yes they are.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #318
I wanna be Dave

The only rigs where I don't run an external BEC are two of mine with Viper VTX8 ESCs (which have a 7V/5A Internal BECs). In theory, the BRXL at 6V/5A might do fine with a not over-the-top servo, but I decided to play it safe on mine. Sounds like you're going with the CC BEC, which is good.

For servos, I like going WP out of the box (after Hitec gave me a hard time on a warranty issue with a 7950 that was unrelated to water). And with all due respect to OSRC , I like being over 250 oz on a 1.9 that will get pushed a bit. The Savox 1210 and RC4WD Waterproof Twister both fit that bill, retail under $85, and have performed very well for me. The 7950 would definitely be overkill (I used to run it in my SCX-10 before switching to the Savox 1210). The 7955 would be fine at 6V, but you'd have to do your own waterproofing if you want to get wet (and void the warranty in the process). That's why I would take the Savox 1210 or Twister WP and save $20 +/- and the trouble of waterproofing a servo.

Look forward to seeing this back in action!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #319
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
... And with all due respect to OSRC , I like being over 250 oz on a 1.9 that will get pushed a bit.
I'm not a keyboard warrior, just here to have a good time with like minded folks.

With 100+ vehicles on the shelf, I generally run the cheapest most capable combos I can. I spend enough on this hobby as it is. There's a reason there's a Mazda in the driveway instead of a BMW.

Sorry to take over the thread Natedog!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #320
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
The only rigs where I don't run an external BEC are two of mine with Viper VTX8 ESCs (which have a 7V/5A Internal BECs). In theory, the BRXL at 6V/5A might do fine with a not over-the-top servo, but I decided to play it safe on mine. Sounds like you're going with the CC BEC, which is good.

For servos, I like going WP out of the box (after Hitec gave me a hard time on a warranty issue with a 7950 that was unrelated to water). And with all due respect to OSRC , I like being over 250 oz on a 1.9 that will get pushed a bit. The Savox 1210 and RC4WD Waterproof Twister both fit that bill, retail under $85, and have performed very well for me. The 7950 would definitely be overkill (I used to run it in my SCX-10 before switching to the Savox 1210). The 7955 would be fine at 6V, but you'd have to do your own waterproofing if you want to get wet (and void the warranty in the process). That's why I would take the Savox 1210 or Twister WP and save $20 +/- and the trouble of waterproofing a servo.

Look forward to seeing this back in action!
Be our tester and try the BRXL without BEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I'm not a keyboard warrior, just here to have a good time with like minded folks.

With 100+ vehicles on the shelf, I generally run the cheapest most capable combos I can. I spend enough on this hobby as it is. There's a reason there's a Mazda in the driveway instead of a BMW.

Sorry to take over the thread Natedog!
Dang, you two guys have a bunch more RC's than I do. Thought I was a hoarder (I mean that in a good way, I hate to waste/throw away things that are not broken) but I don't have room or time for that many these days. Yes, I spend enough on hobbies for sure that's why I have servos just sitting around and can't decide which one to use.

No problem, I appreciate the input.