RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/538944-natedogs-vaterra-ascender.html)

pete959 02-02-2016 11:41 AM

Re: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Lol at mazda and i can see how this stuff gets carried away

LIFE IS GOOD

Natedog 02-03-2016 11:58 PM

I hear you, better to live comfortable instead of always trying to figure out how to make the next whatever payment. "thumbsup"

EDIT: Somebody asked me about the Vaterra HD lower links rotating (clocking) the axle housing different than stock RTR. I didn't notice this on mine, but will check and update on this.

Natedog 02-04-2016 12:55 AM

I tried to Acetone my tires off the stock wheels last week, buddy said best to not submerge the tires because they're never really 'right' again afterwards. I got a Homer bucket at Home Depot since all mine are used for something else or missing the lids. Poured acetone in a glass jam jar, set in bottom of bucket, made a support above the jar with chicken wire from the garden, set all four tires/wheels in, and sealed the lid on. After a couple days of fumigation it kinda helped some of the beads off the wheels, but the weather has been pretty cold here therefore the vapors are much less active, it was not worth the effort. I think in 100F summer temps it might work well, but that is months away. I'm going to bake them in my toaster oven.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psznx8pv7i.jpg

Natedog 02-04-2016 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5438966)
...Somebody asked me about the Vaterra HD lower links rotating (clocking) the axle housing different than stock RTR. I didn't notice this on mine, but will check and update on this.

I just compared both my Ascenders, first one has Vaterra HD lower links, second still has stock RTR lower links. Neither axle appears to be clocked more than the other. The second set of HD links are waiting to be installed on Blazer #2.

I measured both trucks and as best as I can with all links installed, both trucks link lengths match. The front uppers are 61mm + 12mm = 73mm on both trucks and front lowers are about 111mm to 112mm eye to eye. I'll check again when I swap lower HD links on #2.

My rear upper links I've added a 2mm spacer to tilt pinion up slightly out of the rocks. "thumbsup"

OSRC 02-04-2016 06:23 AM

I've dunked a couple sets in acetone, pulled them out and cleaned with simple green and the tires and foams were fine. Might screw up some rims though. Compound dependent maybe? Can say for sure it dried the hell out of my fingers - next time - gloves!

Nice idea with the fumigation...not sure that that would do it, but if it works that's much easier.

svt923 02-04-2016 06:47 AM

The fumes method works good but it takes quite a bit of acetone. A bucket that size needs about an inch or two of acetone in the bottom to generate enough fumes to make it work and the tires need to be as close to it as possible without being submerged. A shorter bucket would help too.

Heat has failed to release the glue for me a few times which is when I resort to acetone.

Itali83 02-04-2016 07:40 AM

That's why I just bought new vaterra super swampers and sold my old wheels and tires.
Ben

bilinvic 02-04-2016 08:49 AM

Are you guys happy with the stock Swamper's performance? I'm debating whether I change them or give them a chance to hopefully impress.

Itali83 02-04-2016 09:28 AM

I like the tires a lot. Think they're one of the best all around tires. Not amazing at any one thing? But great for trail running where there is everything from grass to mud to rocks. The stock foams blow if you ask me. When I got my new wheels and new tires, I went with CI double deuce foams and they work so much better than the stock foams.

I do love my rock beasts for when I know I'm running mostly rocks but the stock tires are really good. Plus the old school pattern really looks right at home with the blazer body.

Natedog 02-04-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 5439040)
I've dunked a couple sets in acetone, pulled them out and cleaned with simple green and the tires and foams were fine. Might screw up some rims though. Compound dependent maybe? Can say for sure it dried the hell out of my fingers - next time - gloves!

Nice idea with the fumigation...not sure that that would do it, but if it works that's much easier.

Yes, I'm sure rubber compound depends. Have you dunked any Vaterra tires?

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5439053)
The fumes method works good but it takes quite a bit of acetone. A bucket that size needs about an inch or two of acetone in the bottom to generate enough fumes to make it work and the tires need to be as close to it as possible without being submerged. A shorter bucket would help too.

Heat has failed to release the glue for me a few times which is when I resort to acetone.

Good to know, guess I could just pour it straight into the bucket but was little worried might melt plastic bucket...doubt it but gotta play safe with it. Guess bucket is nylon and 1/8th scale buggy wheels are nylon and dunking them is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itali83 (Post 5439078)
That's why I just bought new vaterra super swampers and sold my old wheels and tires.
Ben

That's what I did with my second set, before ever running them. Might just touch up this set with CA and do the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilinvic (Post 5439117)
Are you guys happy with the stock Swamper's performance? I'm debating whether I change them or give them a chance to hopefully impress.

Yes, I am they are a great everything tire and look so right with the old Blazer body. If you have loose unmounted tires soak them in water and Simple Green mixture. Fill a bucket (with a sealing lid) with as hot water as you can get out of the tap, then mix in a couple cups of Simple Green, stir in your tires only (no foams or wheels!), snap the lid on and leave it for couple days. I open it to check, scrub the mould release off with teflon safe scrub pad, and stir it all around couple times. After couple days, remove tires, rinse in plain water, dry em off and mount em up! "thumbsup" Definitely helps traction for any tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itali83 (Post 5439144)
I like the tires a lot. Think they're one of the best all around tires. Not amazing at any one thing? But great for trail running where there is everything from grass to mud to rocks. The stock foams blow if you ask me. When I got my new wheels and new tires, I went with CI double deuce foams and they work so much better than the stock foams.

I do love my rock beasts for when I know I'm running mostly rocks but the stock tires are really good. Plus the old school pattern really looks right at home with the blazer body.

X2, well said. I'm trying out 1.9 Trepadors on HR steel wheels, they worked well on my Honcho, but are not as good in loose dirt and sand due to being skinnier and mild tread pattern. They seem to work little better on rock. I'm deciding what tires to try after that, while keeping the stock TSLs on steel white spokes as backup.

OSRC 02-04-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilinvic (Post 5439117)
Are you guys happy with the stock Swamper's performance?

Yes, they've been great on my Deadbolt....felt hard to me on the bench, but broke in nice and seem to find grip all over here the the NE. Woods, rocks, and light mud. Running stock tires and dual stage foams that came with the kit. Great size too - right between a PL standard and XL. I had a review thread here somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 5439155)
Have you dunked any Vaterra tires?

No sir, none yet. RC4WD and Tamiya IIRC

Natedog 02-04-2016 11:30 AM

Yes, I've read your excellent tire review and comparison pic, they are the perfect size!

Hope you don't mind here's a link to it:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires...pressions.html

And those tires came un-glued with acetone and tires were all good to re-use after that?

BTW, Boiling tires worked like crap for me, baking tires off has worked well, but sometimes cleaning up the beads is a pita due to crusty CA remnants, careful use of acetone on a rag and trimming with very sharp small scissors helps.

cen0 02-05-2016 01:34 AM

Thanks Nate for all the Information, this thread is pure Gold!!

DMX512 02-05-2016 05:04 AM

Natedog .... Really liking this thread and your write-up's on the Ascender. Thinking about picking one up. LHS has an rtr in stock....hmmmm. Did you stick with the wraith sway bar or did I read that you went with a yeti sway bar setup?

Big Bill 02-05-2016 07:58 AM

Great informational thread as I have told you before Nate. I have used the Trepadors (1.9s) on my Blazer, they work OK in most conditions, until they get wet. If they get wet and the ground is wet you arent going anywhere with them. Using Pitbulls with a Trepador inner foam, cutdown Pitbull outer foam, and a Panther outer foam around the whole foam setup.....sounded crazy when Bruce at RC Country explained it to me but it works pretty good. "thumbsup"

DMX512 02-05-2016 08:03 AM

It looks as though the front end is almost perfectly set up for a servo winch. Am I seeing that correctly? Has anyone done this yet? If so how does it fit/work?

Itali83 02-05-2016 08:12 AM

I have one on my ascender. Check out my build thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...by-blazer.html

There are pictures of it In post #39. It works great. I love it and have since added the vaterra aluminum fair lead that bolts to the bumper. Think you can see it in some of my later pictures. They are awesome trucks for sure!!

Natedog 02-05-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cen0 (Post 5439750)
Thanks Nate for all the Information, this thread is pure Gold!!

You're welcome and thanks! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMX512 (Post 5439765)
Natedog .... Really liking this thread and your write-up's on the Ascender. Thinking about picking one up. LHS has an rtr in stock....hmmmm. Did you stick with the wraith sway bar or did I read that you went with a yeti sway bar setup?

Thanks, do it you'll like it! I settled on Wraith Front Swaybar using my own bar made out of piano wire which is a touch softer than the softest bar in the kit. The soft bar in the kit works great too. Anymore questions, just post and I'll do my best to help. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill (Post 5439828)
Great informational thread as I have told you before Nate. I have used the Trepadors (1.9s) on my Blazer, they work OK in most conditions, until they get wet. If they get wet and the ground is wet you arent going anywhere with them. Using Pitbulls with a Trepador inner foam, cutdown Pitbull outer foam, and a Panther outer foam around the whole foam setup.....sounded crazy when Bruce at RC Country explained it to me but it works pretty good. "thumbsup"

Yes, you have thanks again. Good info on the Trepadors, I've run them but not a lot, the Pitbulls are a good tire too...wow that sounds like a lot of foam...maybe CI DW foams would accomplish same thing easier? I've pretty much settle on them for all my crawler tires. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMX512 (Post 5439833)
It looks as though the front end is almost perfectly set up for a servo winch. Am I seeing that correctly? Has anyone done this yet? If so how does it fit/work?

It is, mounts are there with screw holes, Vaterra sells a very nice fairlead that bolts right into the stock front bumper. I have a rocklight mount plate bolted on that spot. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itali83 (Post 5439838)
I have one on my ascender. Check out my build thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...by-blazer.html

There are pictures of it In post #39. It works great. I love it and have since added the vaterra aluminum fair lead that bolts to the bumper. Think you can see it in some of my later pictures. They are awesome trucks for sure!!

Looks great, thanks for the link and reply, they are awesome trucks! "thumbsup"

EDIT: What happened to your pics, they all say, "click the image to open fullsize", but they never open...used to be displayed/imbedded right in your thread?

DMX512 02-05-2016 10:58 AM

My LHS has the Bronco rtr in stock. Think I might get it. It will be a good compliment to the SCX, Wraith, and my daughters Yeti.

Natedog 02-05-2016 11:51 AM

Go for it, I like it so much that they are my main two crawlers. I also sold my Wraith axles, but kept the chassis to do 1.9 Ascender Wraith. :)