RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/538944-natedogs-vaterra-ascender.html)

stillsmokin875 07-14-2015 07:12 PM

Re: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Man, looks like an amazing spot to crawl, ever run into any snakes on those rock formations? :???:

MudMonster 07-14-2015 07:21 PM

I wish i had a spot like that close by

Natedog 07-15-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 (Post 5261622)
Man, looks like an amazing spot to crawl, ever run into any snakes on those rock formations? :???:

Yes, it is amazing crawl spot but there are even better spots within two hour drive. "thumbsup" I've run into many rattlesnakes out there mountain biking, and yes couple while crawling....always look before you step, put your hand down, sit, and try not to step where you can't see whats around you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMonster (Post 5261629)
I wish i had a spot like that close by

We are blessed with some good rock that's for sure. Every time I drive around, hike or bike I"m always on the lookout for potential new crawl and trail spots.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I added this to Cgw's thread about sidehilling problems and am including it here too since I've got a few sets of different beadlocks to try on the Ascender and want to keep track width same or very close to stock. Here's CGW's sidehilling thread:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vater...ml#post5261947
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I measured some Axial 1.9 8-hole beadlocks, didn't measure Ascender wheels yet.

Axial 8-hole 1.9 wheels
Width = 1.5" (outside of rim to outside of rim)
Backspace = 0.510"

northernerbill 07-17-2015 04:34 PM

Cool truck mate......now lets see those shut lines;-)

truckbob 07-17-2015 05:38 PM

Man that spot looks great!.Your ascender looks just like mine.Any plans for an interior?

Natedog 07-17-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernerbill (Post 5263427)
Cool truck mate......now lets see those shut lines;-)

Thanks mate 8) and thanks for the assistance in your thread...paint pen or new black Sharpie on my shopping list! "thumbsup";-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckbob (Post 5263464)
Man that spot looks great!.Your ascender looks just like mine.Any plans for an interior?

Thanks, it's a ton o fun so many large granite slabs and plenty of sand and dirt trails. Yes, yours is looking good too! I've been thinking about an interior, but want to keep this truck kinda simple...my one crawler that is close to stock and always ready to crawl at a moments notice. Seems I'm always modding/breaking, modding/repairing my Axials. I'm also considering inner fenders, a set of beadlocks setup with stock Vaterra Super Swampers (second set of wheels/tires to change the look and add little weight down low (wheels about 75g each no added lead weight though).

What do you suggest for interior?

rustneversleeps 07-17-2015 08:26 PM

Natedog your post is interesting story on the Ascender and very informative. i don't own an Ascender but will buy one sooner or later and if you say It's a 100 times better you got me sold. Horizon Hobby hear i come or maybe i could find a good used one....

I also take my crawler once in a while when i decide to go biking but i have the rack in the back with budgie cord tie downs.I don't have to go far about 1/2 mile behind my house up a dirt road....
Even better some times I'll bring it with me on my ATV also..

Lots of detail information in your post make for interesting story and the pics are cool to...."lots of links" i like that...

The RTR version is the servo horn 24t or 25t....

I also really like to get the kit version because who doesn't like to build..
But you kinda of prove a point for an extra what 40 or 60 bucks more may as well get the RTR so we could drive two and in my situation my SCX10 to my brother-in law an the Ascender for me lol.....
He still won't buy one but he likes you use mine "what up with that cheap bastard".lol

anyways great stuff and I subscribe. "thumbsup"
One more thing any difference between the RTR version and the kit version beside paint and building...

Natedog 07-17-2015 09:42 PM

Kit or RTR you get a lot for your money, sounds like RTR would be way to go for you, but I too love to build. The RTR electronics really are quality (servo kinda weak as some have said, but better than some) and useable for a while. Sounds like he needs to buy one too. :lmao:"thumbsup" RTR servo is 23 spline.

Good servo spline etc. info here from thread started by Charlie-III
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newre...eply&p=3381954

Main part of his first quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 3381954)
OK, I didn't find a single thread but bits & pieces here & there.

For "standard sized" servos (Futaba 7955 as an example) (1.57" x 0.79" x 1.50" or for the rest of the world 40mm x 20mm x 38mm), the below is a guide on spline count.

23 splines: KO, Airtronics/Sanwa, JR, ACOMS, Solar, EXI.

24 splines: HiTec, RCD, Apollo (plus some Tower/Hobbico as HiTec makes them)

25 splines: Futaba (newer), Savox, (plus some Tower/Hobbico as Futaba makes them), traxxas 2075 digital waterproof servo, HPI, HobbyKing-BlueBird, some TowerPro [mg995], RC4WD

SOME INFO FROM SERVOCITY (11/3/2013)

Hitec Servo Splines

Futaba Servo Splines

The micro/mini servos are different, thus servos used for shafty dig units, servo digs (for MOA's) and MRC steering is a seperate issue.

If you find a correction, or want to add, feel free to do so.8)

Note: some of this came from here.... RC Groups - View Single Post - expert servo arms

"Servo Database"...... 1st page is so-so, click on the brand you're looking for at the top of the page for more info on that brand... Servo Database - RC Servo Specs and Reviews

Thanks for subscribing, I always try to give out good info with lots of links and pics.

Other differences between RTR and kit, is the RTR does not have any spare link set screws (3x16mm and 3x20mm). These setscrews are inexpensive and readily available if needed.

EDIT: Just checked and my rear bumper mounts are mounted correctly. I'm going to flip them and see how it lines up.

rustneversleeps 07-17-2015 11:04 PM

Not many choices for 23 spline servo might have to change that...
I'll stick to the common 25 spline...
Ya look like the taper part of the bumper should be facing the sky"up"'Looks out of place now the i look at it.Just a quick flip should do the trick.Somebody at Horizon Hobby put it the wrong way maybe ,I'll have to check out the picture threads to see if they are all like that..."thumbsup"

Next time if you see or hear "Rustneversleeps First Ascender" it may be me.
Thanks for the updates and the quality and control in this journey..."thumbsup"

Natedog 07-18-2015 12:04 AM

Ive had good luck with non-clamping Dynamite and another kinda off brand aluminum servo horns in the past in 2.2 shafty days, TLT axles and all that. Prolly be fine on this truck, that's what I'm looking for a spare, I have lots of 24 spline horns, an Axial clamping (interferes with panhard rod on suspension compression), stock vaterra plastic.

I'm looking forward to seeing your thread. ;)

MudMonster 07-18-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustneversleeps (Post 5263664)
Not many choices for 23 spline servo might have to change that...
I'll stick to the common 25 spline...
Ya look like the taper part of the bumper should be facing the sky"up"'Looks out of place now the i look at it.Just a quick flip should do the trick.Somebody at Horizon Hobby put it the wrong way maybe ,I'll have to check out the picture threads to see if they are all like that..."thumbsup"

Next time if you see or hear "Rustneversleeps First Ascender" it may be me.
Thanks for the updates and the quality and control in this journey..."thumbsup"

The kit comes with a 23,24, and 25 spline servo horn so I'm sure you could order a new plastic one with your preferred setup if you wanted to and didn't want the aluminium one.

rustneversleeps 07-18-2015 07:58 AM

Great just like the Axial.So i have a choice...Cool "thumbsup"

cartronicshn 07-18-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMonster (Post 5263765)
The kit comes with a 23,24, and 25 spline servo horn so I'm sure you could order a new plastic one with your preferred setup if you wanted to and didn't want the aluminium one.

:shock: mine came only with one :x

Awesome pics BTW.

rustneversleeps 07-18-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartronicshn (Post 5263795)
:shock: mine came only with one :x

Awesome pics BTW.

In the kit or the RTR.

MudMonster 07-19-2015 08:31 PM

I got the kit not the rtr. The kit comes with 3 options for the servo horn. Or at least mone did

Natedog 07-20-2015 03:18 PM

Did the rear bumper mount flip to gain little more departure angle, thanks for the idea Northernerbill! "thumbsup"8) I have a couple fresh black Sharpie pens now too. ;-)
Here's a before pic showing body to rear bumper (body lowered two mounting holes front and rear from stock RTR).

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/803/4...cd84712e_b.jpgIMG_0533

Front pic for reference of body position in general, obviously this rear bumper mount flip does not affect body height or the front.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/791/2...e8307564_b.jpgIMG_0534

After rear bumper mount flip, raised it a good 1/4" at least, maybe 3/8"...will measure and post back:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/804/4...1a81668f_b.jpgIMG_0535

Somebody asked about how I flipped the rear bumper, forgot to say in my original post about that. Here's how to flip the rear bumper mounts
Un-bolt the rear bumper mounts from the frame, flip them upside down (have to swap sides to do this). Then unbolt the bumper from the mounts, flip it right side up, re-assemble and gain some sweet departure angle increase! :)

cartronicshn 07-20-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMonster (Post 5264744)
I got the kit not the rtr. The kit comes with 3 options for the servo horn. Or at least mone did

So did i, but only one horn

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Natedog 07-20-2015 03:49 PM

Thanks for clarification, that's a bummer, did you call Vaterra or did you use another horn?

MudMonster 07-20-2015 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartronicshn (Post 5265217)
So did i, but only one horn

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Hmm wounder if it was because i had one of the first run of kits? I got mine in December.

fingers crossed 07-20-2015 06:14 PM

I got 3 servo horns in my kit. I only picked it up in April but the hobby shop said it was one of the first kits as they had it on hold for a customer for a few months.