Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #1221
RCC Addict

Default Re: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Oh, and talking about RULR's I reversed the battery mounts on my K10, but see a good bit of flex, so intend making some up sometime. I doubt if I am going to put a panhard setup on the rear as it's drives so well now with the Gmade shocks that it would be a waste of time. I might try it on the Land Rover instead.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #1222
RCC Addict

Hmmm...here I thought it was a general invite.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #1223
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Oh, and talking about RULR's I reversed the battery mounts on my K10, but see a good bit of flex, so intend making some up sometime. I doubt if I am going to put a panhard setup on the rear as it's drives so well now with the Gmade shocks that it would be a waste of time. I might try it on the Land Rover instead.

I saw the same thing when I did that... went with more solid material...
druz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #1224
RCC Addict

So I just bought a used Ascender, don't even have it yet, waiting for it arrive, anyhow I'm only on page eight of this thread and I can't believe how much good info is here and how well Natedog includes links and tries to present all info available, great job! Looking forward to gettin mine. I really think the Ascender section needs a Tips and Tricks thread like other models though.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #1225
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
So I just bought a used Ascender, don't even have it yet, waiting for it arrive, anyhow I'm only on page eight of this thread and I can't believe how much good info is here and how well Natedog includes links and tries to present all info available, great job! Looking forward to gettin mine. I really think the Ascender section needs a Tips and Tricks thread like other models though.
Do yourself a favor... If you see something you like, just bookmark it now instead of rifling through the whole thread for the umpteenth time like I have been doing for months... LOL
druz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #1226
RCC Addict

It's on it's way, be here tomorrow! Anyhow I just gotta thank Natedog again for all this useful info that applies to other rigs as well, I dropped the ride height on my TRX4 Bronco tonight by backing off all the preload on the shocks and lowering the body posts one hole all around, Wow! Those two things made a world of difference, it climbs and sidehills so much better now, I'm on page 33 of this thread now and probably have 10 pages bookmarked lol
Old 11-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #1227
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Congratulations on a successful event for a great cause! I lost my sister 3 years ago to breast cancer and I applaud anyone who does something like this. Well done!

Thank you, it was a great time and a great cause! We bought plenty of raffle tickets, t-shirt, etc.

Quote:
Looks like you had a great time Nate. Shame about no pics. but having fun is a good excuse (just). Also an event like that is good to see.

Yes we did, thanks!

Quote:
Oh, and talking about RULR's I reversed the battery mounts on my K10, but see a good bit of flex, so intend making some up sometime.

Yes, more solid is good and ideally they need to be higher than the battery reversal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Hmmm...here I thought it was a general invite.

But of course!

Quote:

Awesome, been reading your posts, can't wait to see what you do to personalize it! Thank you, trying to help everyone. Agreed, Tips and Tricks thread would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by druz View Post
Do yourself a favor... If you see something you like, just bookmark it now instead of rifling through the whole thread for the umpteenth time like I have been doing for months... LOL

Great idea!

Quote:
...Anyhow I just gotta thank Natedog again for all this useful info that applies to other rigs as well, I dropped the ride height on my TRX4 Bronco tonight by backing off all the preload on the shocks and lowering the body posts one hole all around, Wow! Those two things made a world of difference, it climbs and sidehills so much better now, I'm on page 33 of this thread now and probably have 10 pages bookmarked lol

Awesome, glad to help out with your setup, you're welcome!

Yeti.Stealth (Dean) and son Cooper visited the other day and we had a great day of chatting, crawling, and burritos!

Day started out cool and a bit chilly, we couldn't decide on shorts or long pants, but ended up sunny and warm about 80F, very nice. Group picture!

We crawled a couple cool arch/tunnels.

Snack time and truck stack time.

As we were rallying around the beaches and trails a Bald Eagle flew right over us, so amazed that I barely got a kinda blurry picture! Saw lots of birds, ground squirrels too.

I've been using the new Vaterra RULRs on my K10 (tested on K5 too) and Rich has announced that they will be available separately within a week from now, awesome! Post # 64
27th...what's coming?

After crawling and discussing with Dean, I've planned a K10 rebuild and have a bunch of parts laid out for some nice modifications! Probably going to try out the windshield wiper metal insert swaybar setup that one of their group created.

Post # 425

Yeti.Stealths Ascenders
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #1228
RCC Addict

That day was bloody awesome Nate! But that burrito had me beat lol

Was totally cool to see the bald eagle, thanks again for taking the time to be our host and guide for the day, we have seen and done some great and wonderful things on our holiday, spending the day crawling with you and having the privilege of driving your tuned and modded ascenders, is right up there as one of the best, it has made for some wonderful memories!

I’m pretty confidant I can say we are mates now!

Thanks mate!

Name:  9F1E5A8B-B0A9-4A43-866C-62DB1ED940F6.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  185.4 KB
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #1229
I wanna be Dave

Yes, it was! She rolled you the heavy duty burrito, coulda made two meals of it.

Yes, bonus eagle, you're very welcome, I had a wonderful and memorable day too!

Agreed we're mates/friends now!

You're welcome, mate!

Snapped a picture of the new RULRs that come installed on the new 1972 Chevy Suburban Ascender-S 4WD RTR (VTR03094)
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-19...ator1_10022018

Installed on left rear of my K10 with the rear panhard setup, and the right hand side to show the entire part, thanks Rich!

Last edited by Natedog; 11-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #1230
RCC Addict

I like the look of them. Nice and simple. Wonder if an aluminium upgrade would be available?

Last edited by M1tch; 11-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #1231
I wanna be Dave

THanks, they're plastic but very high quality fiber reinforced and I've not broken one yet. They're pretty rigid for plastic parts, but just enough give, agreed an aluminum upgrade would be sweet though.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #1232
Slow is the new Fast

Great looking spots for crawling and trailing! thanks for putting up the pics
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #1233
RCC Addict

So Nate, you’re thinking of going back to sway bar? Care to elaborate your thoughts and ideas? I’m taking Nemo out this weekend after some more shock tuning, new aluminum upper link mount on rear end to help unwanted flex but still not 100% sold on the idea of eliminating torque twist without a sway bar. But I’m going to give it good shot this Sunday. Only going to be in the mid 30’s for temps but need to get out. Fill me in on your ideas man.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #1234
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
So Nate, you’re thinking of going back to sway bar? Care to elaborate your thoughts and ideas? I’m taking Nemo out this weekend after some more shock tuning, new aluminum upper link mount on rear end to help unwanted flex but still not 100% sold on the idea of eliminating torque twist without a sway bar. But I’m going to give it good shot this Sunday. Only going to be in the mid 30’s for temps but need to get out. Fill me in on your ideas man.

Ben
I'm way behind still on page 34, I was getting ready to put parts list together for a swaybar lol, I noticed the torque twist tonight while trying to climb some steep hills.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #1235
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm way behind still on page 34, I was getting ready to put parts list together for a swaybar lol, I noticed the torque twist tonight while trying to climb some steep hills.
I’d still get the sway bar. It’s on my original blazer and it just works. Love it.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #1236
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Great looking spots for crawling and trailing! thanks for putting up the pics

Thanks and you're welcome!

Quote:
So Nate, you’re thinking of going back to sway bar? Care to elaborate your thoughts and ideas? I’m taking Nemo out this weekend after some more shock tuning, new aluminum upper link mount on rear end to help unwanted flex but still not 100% sold on the idea of eliminating torque twist without a sway bar.

Ben

Still testing with different link setups, outboard shocks and all, TT is better. The DBL-DZS-RC link mount plates with shorter upper links and in second hole from top and front is very good on TT elimination and still get lots of rear flex. Looking into swaybar setup like Yet.stealth posted in his thread using automotive windshield wiper metal insert strip instead of Axial or my home made music wire swaybar too.

Quote:
I’d still get the sway bar. It’s on my original blazer and it just works. Love it.

Ben

Agreed, Va'Blazer with swaybar just works.

New rear RULRs (plastic is very nice fiber reinforced stuff!) and through-hole transmission output shaft that come on the new 1972 Chevy Suburban RTR S, time to upgrade my transmission.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-19...rtr-p-vtr03094

Old Losi 2WD buggy racing days t-shirt I dug out of my drawer.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #1237
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

New rear RULRs (plastic is very nice fiber reinforced stuff!) and through-hole transmission output shaft that come on the new 1972 Chevy Suburban RTR S, time to upgrade my transmission.

Are those available separately yet?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #1238
I wanna be Dave

It should be soon, part# VTR234032
27th...what's coming?

Last edited by Natedog; 11-16-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #1239
RCC Addict

What's the advantage of those new rear upper link mounts?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #1240
RCC Addict

Ok finally got through the whole thread, lot's of good reading here! My Bronco was built using the k5 Blazer kit and I went through the manual and checked that all the links are correct and all was good except for the one steering link that should've been 30mm instead of 38mm, fixing that corrected my steering. I don't have anything close to the rocks that you climb, mostly trails with rocks and steep loose climbs so my question to you Ascender Guru is this, do think the Wraith sway bar mounted like your K5 is my best bet? It climbs over obstacles great but the TT just kills steep climbs.