Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender Sway Bar (Anti-Torque Twist)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ascender Sway Bar (Anti-Torque Twist)

Been searching around on the forums and internet for sway bar ideas for my Ascender. This is what I've come up with, its made from a traxxas slash 4x4 rear sway bar and end links. I just used a longer screw holding in the shocks and lower links to hold the rod ends to the sway bar linkage. Mounted some make shift hinges to the bottom of the esc plate with lock nuts from the kit. The goal is to try and eliminate torque twist in the chassis when its under load. Let me know if you guys have any other ideas for sway bars with the Ascender. I will report back about how this setup performs.

Last edited by stillsmokin875; 06-28-2015 at 07:13 AM.
stillsmokin875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Ascender Sway Bar (Anti-Torque Twist)

Would like to know how well this works!
paintchip31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've been wanting an Erik D_lux universal sway bar set, I've seen people putting them on the SCX platform.... Maybe I could get it to work on my ascender.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Just finished testing it out, and it actually worked! Definitely kept the frame from twisting as much when under torque. Also still allows the suspension to flex just as much!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
Just finished testing it out, and it actually worked! Definitely kept the frame from twisting as much when under torque. Also still allows the suspension to flex just as much!
Nice, got any pics at full stuff? What did you use to mount to esc plate? One thing mounting to esc plate will reduce effectiveness somewhat because those mounts will flex some under swaybar load, which is much more force than the weight of an ESC. That may be why you still get same amount of flex travel.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice, got any pics at full stuff? What did you use to mount to esc plate? One thing mounting to esc plate will reduce effectiveness somewhat because those mounts will flex some under swaybar load, which is much more force than the weight of an ESC. That may be why you still get same amount of flex travel.
Yea I'll take a few more pics, I used a mounting piece from the axial exo light bar set, shown below.

I checked the esc mounting plate flexing and you are right. I guess I need to figure out a way to mount to the frame to correct that. But even with it flexing, I can still tell that it is working to help with the twist. Thanks for the advice, I will post up some more pics.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for update and part link.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Took a few pics showing the rear suspension compressed. Kinda hard to tell, but everything clears at full flex.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Clears very nicely thanks for the clear pics.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Just did this to mine. It works. I didn't have the esc plate so i made a plate out of stiffer plastic. Mounted the same way. I need to trim the rod ends down though as they hit the frame with more up travel/flex left on the shock.
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasmj View Post
Just did this to mine. It works. I didn't have the esc plate so i made a plate out of stiffer plastic. Mounted the same way. I need to trim the rod ends down though as they hit the frame with more up travel/flex left on the shock.
Did you use the same slash rear sway bar or something else? I want to make a hard mount to the frame instead of using the flexible ESC plate. I'll post some pics when I figure out how to do it. Glad the sway bar mod worked out for you.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasmj View Post
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
Did you use the same slash rear sway bar or something else? I want to make a hard mount to the frame instead of using the flexible ESC plate. I'll post some pics when I figure out how to do it. Glad the sway bar mod worked out for you.
Updates?

Ascender Sway Bar (Anti-Torque Twist) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
panhard/ anti-sway bar work together? terrible Axial Wraith 5 01-22-2014 09:25 AM
wroncho sway/anti roll bar help steveo 561 Axial SCX-10 7 12-14-2012 04:05 PM
Anti-sway bar mitchr97 Axial SCX-10 18 08-05-2012 11:11 PM
The V-link anti torque twist experiment. miller Axial AX-10 Scorpion 38 12-12-2009 10:56 AM
V-link anti torque twist experiment. miller Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 11-26-2009 08:47 PM