Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Zintoatree's Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #1

Cool Zintoatree's Ascender

So I've had my Ascender for about a week and I am in love with it. It surprises me every time I take it on an outing. I'll be certain it won't make it past a certain section/obstacle and it just runs over it like it's nothing.

I am pretty new to crawlers but I am very impressed with this truck and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone getting into RC crawling. My brother was actually sold on the kit after 5 minutes with this truck. He is getting the Bronco bodied Ascender, I can't wait to compare the two. It looks like it has a shorter wheel base which seems like it can be both a pro and a con depending on the situation.

Anyways I figured I would make this thread because it would be easier updating one thread rather than making a hundred post.

Just got her home.

Fabbed up a battery tray to hold my larger 5000mAh batteries

Tackled a small dirt hill with ease.

Time to actually challenge this truck.

Last edited by Zintoatree; 09-16-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Zintoatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Zintoatree's Ascender

I really like the battery tray you fabbed up! Great idea on mounting it!! It looks like you made a mount to fit in the stock battery tray to hold your fabricated battery tray!!

Do you have your fabbed battery tray attached to anything at the top, or is in entirely held in with the stock battery tray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
I really like the battery tray you fabbed up! Great idea on mounting it!! It looks like you made a mount to fit in the stock battery tray to hold your fabricated battery tray!!

Do you have your fabbed battery tray attached to anything at the top, or is in entirely held in with the stock battery tray?

The only thing holding the battery tray in is the strap from the original battery tray and some velcro on the bottom of the battery tray. It is pretty secure, although I am thinking about adding another velcro strap to remove some of the play in it.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #4

So I took the Ascender out to Line Creek Nature Area in Peachtree City, GA. I wasn't really expecting much and was very surprised at the potential this area has for crawlers. It just kept getting better the further I went down the trail. I was out there for around 2 hours and didn't even come close to trying out all of the areas to run. If anyone is close by I would highly suggest checking the little trail system out.

Couple of pics from the day.

Last edited by Zintoatree; 09-16-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintoatree View Post
The only thing holding the battery tray in is the strap from the original battery tray and some velcro on the bottom of the battery tray. It is pretty secure, although I am thinking about adding another velcro strap to remove some of the play in it.

I would like to see some more pics of your battery mount! I think it's a very cool idea!!

2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
I would like to see some more pics of your battery mount! I think it's a very cool idea!!

Here you go.

Last edited by Zintoatree; 09-16-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice battery tray, very clean. I dont' know why, but these pics are fine...size could be little bigger maybe, but your trail crawling pics are huge. This is on my PC with 24" widescreen monitor.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Nice battery tray, very clean. I dont' know why, but these pics are fine...size could be little bigger maybe, but your trail crawling pics are huge. This is on my PC with 24" widescreen monitor.
I've noticed that too. I'll try to fix them a little later.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Cool idea and skills fabbing up a new battery tray. My only issue is the added weight. The K5 is already pretty darn heavy. I also understand people not wanting to have to buy a new shorty pack. Luckily, I race hear and there so I already had a Revtech 7100mah 100c shorty pack. Because the truck is already so heavy and I'm running a Holmes 35t, I'm not even running the shorty pack anymore. I'm running a small 2100 mah Venom 3s pack which is even lighter which is going to help keep the COG down even better and it fits right in the stock tray.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yes, that's why I bought 2s shorty pack just for my Ascender.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Cool idea and skills fabbing up a new battery tray. My only issue is the added weight. The K5 is already pretty darn heavy. I also understand people not wanting to have to buy a new shorty pack. Luckily, I race hear and there so I already had a Revtech 7100mah 100c shorty pack. Because the truck is already so heavy and I'm running a Holmes 35t, I'm not even running the shorty pack anymore. I'm running a small 2100 mah Venom 3s pack which is even lighter which is going to help keep the COG down even better and it fits right in the stock tray.

I actually bought the stubby pack. I just built this so I could toss in one of my 5000mAh batteries if I need to. At the time I didn't realize how long the 4000mAh stubby pack actually lasted. All I have ever had was SCT style trucks so even the 5000mAh batteries only lasted 20ish minutes so I just assumed it wouldn't last all that long, I was wrong. It last quite a bit.

Also fixed all the ridiculous sizes on the pictures.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I love my ascender too! I'm new to the scene also. The only thing that is a little lacking seems that the tires are a bit stuff for bare rocks. But it is still amazing me what it'll climb with my inexperience driving it. More pics please!
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintoatree View Post
I actually bought the stubby pack. I just built this so I could toss in one of my 5000mAh batteries if I need to. At the time I didn't realize how long the 4000mAh stubby pack actually lasted. All I have ever had was SCT style trucks so even the 5000mAh batteries only lasted 20ish minutes so I just assumed it wouldn't last all that long, I was wrong. It last quite a bit.

Also fixed all the ridiculous sizes on the pictures.
Yes, the higher MAH packs last forever on these rigs. I'm getting a couple hours out of a 2100 mah 3s pack. When running my 7100 shorty 2s, I've never managed to run it down all the way.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Zintoatree's Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
New Ascender adonis_mp Vaterra Ascender 5 03-17-2015 09:32 PM
new to me ascender need help fullsizecrawler Vaterra Ascender 2 03-13-2015 04:50 AM