Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My baby blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My baby blazer

Wow, dude that is hawt! Great use of the old stock slider as rear bumper, body off pics of bumper mount and inside of body please! Very clean E6000 on cab, or?

Edit, sectioned about 1" out of rear of body behind the wheels too.

Last edited by Natedog; 09-14-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #182
RCC Addict

Figured it was time to show my first ascender some love. This truck has never let me down, the one I learned everything on and just gets it done. I go where all the modified honchos and other half bodies trucks go. I already hang with the other brands, but being competitive, that's not good enough. Figured there was more to be had but still retain a big body and fairly stock look. I went after extra weight and COG on this truck.

First I ditched all lighting, and extra wiring that wasn't needed. Then I just stared at the chassis for a while looking at places I could lower the cog without adding additional weight down low. The battery tray looked like a place to start.

First I took out the dogbone link from the front axle to tray, cut it in half, removed 2.5mm from each end, drilled and threaded a link end in each end and screwed and glued both halves together. Dropped front down 5mm. I did have to trim some of the support webbing to clear upper axle link but tray is still plenty strong.

Then I was looking at the rear end of battery tray and saw there were some mm's to be had there. I drilled new pivot holes, did some trimming and was able to drop 10mm in the rear. The driveshaft does ever so slightly rub my battery now but it's a hard case and I'm keeping an eye on everything. So far so good.

Then I went ahead and added some weight even though i said I wouldn't. I made up a copy cat codyboy axle for the front. I needed to rebuild the worn out input cv joint and was like, " if I'm stripping the axle, I'm putting the brass one back in" so that's that.

I went ahead and ditched the winch for now. Unneeded weight that was up really high in the front. I did make an internal spool servo winch incase I miss it. But this rig will never get stuck or need a winch. Ever. lol.

I'll post more pictures of the body and how I got it there in a bit. Thanks for looking!
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #183
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Ben!!!! It's good to see you giving your old faithful some love again!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #184
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Wow, dude that is hawt! Great use of the old stock slider as rear bumper, body off pics of bumper mount and inside of body please! Very clean E6000 on cab, or?

Edit, sectioned about 1" out of rear of body behind the wheels too.

Good eye Nate. I wanted to tuck the rear in as much as possible. Tired of dragging my butt like a dog with worms. But I really don't like the cage back ends and wanted to keep this looking like a complete driveable truck. Just cheated up a little bit. Remember me being competitive and not liking my axial buddies lol!?

I just cut the top off with a sharp utility knife.

Then cut the back end off complete with tailgate and tail light corners.

Then cut the extra section out and glued the back end back on. Used E6000 on everything and mesh drywall tape. I did use the leftover 1/4 panel pieces to fish plate the inside for extra strength. My goal with this body is to shed all possible weight and lower it so I did kinda skimp on glue and support just to try my best and keeping the weight down. E6000 and drywall tape get heavy quick.

Then I carefully cut the back radius and window out of original top, fit and glued it to the cab. Using E6000 and drywall tape again. I took my time and it fit very very well. I used only a tiny bit of 3M green body putty to make the seam seamless. Not 100% scale because the pickup windows aren't the same as the blazers but I'm building this like a converted blazer, not a pickup. I'm poor in real life so I'd have to reuse everything I could so I did it here too lol.

I made my tonneau cover from a delco-remy starter box. The cardboard was already black and a perfect texture for a sun faded vinyl tonneau cover. Yup, you guessed it, more E6000 to attach that. No drywall tape though.

Super truck and cheap body mount. Body sits in bumper mount to set height. I drilled and tapped welfare bumper slider and threaded a bolt in there. Then used another scrap piece of lexan, E6000 and tape to the tailgate. Drilled through everything and BAM! Body mount. Two clips in the front keep everything down and square and rear can't come out.

I couldn't help myself with the license plate. I run with axial cool aid drinkers. Lol.

Does all this work help? Dunno yet. Hopefully!

Ben

Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #185
RCC Addict

Here's a picture of how much I gained in bumper tuck. Keep in mind that the spacers are already removed between bumper and mounts.

The whole idea was to get two trucks from one chassis. Just the 4 bumper mount bolts and put the rear body mounts back on and I have my Jimmy body back on. Can't afford another truck but like options and variety.

Ben

Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all the 8.5x11" color glossy photos with the arrows and description on the back, great documentation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

OK, butted all your lexan glued joints and fishplated inside, it was kinda hard to tell how it all got so smooth looking from across my interwebz. Body and battery tray mods on my list, long list of projects.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #187
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

OK, butted all your lexan glued joints and fishplated inside, it was kinda hard to tell how it all got so smooth looking from across my interwebz. Body and battery tray mods on my list, long list of projects.

Yup, clean cuts and careful fitting made really nice joints. I was pleasantly surprised as I just had an idea and wung it. The body lines made it easy to guide the sharp utility knife along for a cleaner cut than the lexan scissors. I'm not super rough on my trucks and don't let them tumble so I think the joints will hold up just fine.

Here's two pictures of it on my home rock pile. The bumper tuck makes a huge difference for sure. May need to make a full width bumper though as the corners of the body will take a beating in certain situations. Time will tell. I'm just trying to not use steel tube like my other custom bumpers to keep weight down. Don't really want aluminum because of how it is soft and does not slide along jagged rock. Hopefully next weekend I'm going out to my favorite rocky beach spot for a good battery or two worth of testing.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 AM   #188
RCC Addict

Got the truck out yesterday for its real maiden trip. Went to a new spot to check it out. Big land mark for tourists but the season is dying down so not too many people. It was in the high 80's which is crazy for late September so the ocean breeze felt nice!

This place had some super steep climbs. Very jagged and not very fluid lines. As in, put truck at bottom of one line, climb line, then lift truck to another line. But I enjoyed it for a little more than an hour anyway.

This truck is very fun for exploring things now with no rear overhang or bumper to get caught on everything. I like it still because it still has the full body truck look to me and not all hacked up. My personal preference. Since it was a new place, I couldn't really test my lower battery tray, brass axle and lighter body out on my same lines but it is really stable and predictable.

I think I'm ready to try some new tires. I LOVE my vaterra tsl's. They've been great and love the look. But I'm looking for an edge on the rock that I run. I had the og rock beasts on this truck with CI rock beast foams and they were great but not enough better than the tsl's for me to keep them. I'm now looking at either the pit bull pbx hardcore or the yet to be released braven Ironsides. I think I'm going to try the Ironsides as they are a bit taller and wider than the pbx's and will just look better on this truck. Both have awesome reviews and guys say they grip the rock better than the og rockbeasts. Plus they come in the alien compound which I have in the 1.55 rockbeasts and it's really nice. So hopefully once they come out, I'll get a set and try them out. May get a set of cheap wagon wheels so I can do some quick tire changes to get a good comparison with my well worn tsl's.

Here's some pics.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #189
I wanna be Dave

PitBull Braven Ironsides look like better tread and the size is perfect, that's the one I'd go with too! They look like they'd be awesome paired with some steel wagon wheels, love the new cut up pickup, on my list of to dos! What a beautiful day at the ocean and perfect weather, makes me wish I was there crawling right now!

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pbtpb9015ak.htm

Siping - you always need the extra traction doen' ye?
Staggered Tread Lugs - increase traction and help wick away the muck.
Staggered Shoulder lugs - increases your ability to attack!

Specifications:
4.19X1.35-1.9 Un-Mounted*
Weight is approximately 3.25 ounces per tire (with foam)
Foam Dimensions - 115x47.6x48mm
*Dimensions may vary depending on mounted rim width used.

Alien Kompound - Super Sticky - "Stickier than Alien Snot!" - great wet or dry. These suckers will hold on in off-camber situations.
Multi-varied tread blocks - create an alternating biting pattern for maximum traction, especially in off-camber situations.
Inside ribbing - provides sidewall support and stability.
Stone Kickers - oh yeah!
Over-the-shoulder lugs - that wrap down the sidewall and add extra strength & traction to the shoulder & sidewall areas.
Foam included
Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Thanks Nate. I'm happy with it so far. Now that I've got this truck and a more scale leaf spring truck I can enjoy both for their differences. Now this truck will be my more hardcore rugged trail truck I can put in tight spots just to see how well it does. I'm not a throttle it out kinda guy but if the need be, this truck can take it. My 1.55 truck is full on finesse all the time which I really enjoy too. But when I'm scouting new spots, this is my go to now. Get to cutting Nate! lol

Ben
Old 10-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #191
RCC Addict

So I got the truck out to my backyard gravel pit testing grounds. I really love the bobbed rear end! I can get up on my test rocks right from the ground now. Don't have to winch or lift truck into position. This truck was always very stable and predictable but even more so now with the brass front axle.

I'm thinking that after almost 2.5 years, my stock motor is getting worn out. Just seems to be laying down in the power department. Never gets hot or smiley so may be just me since my 1.55 truck has a HH crawlmaster and 3s. Going to keep running it until it's obvious that it's tired. No bushing noise yet so that's good.

I'm waiting for the braven Ironsides to become available and will be giving them a try. I still love my tsl's but looking for a serious rock tire. Got my new wheels in though. These things are awesome and made for this truck. The Rc4wd steel rally wheels. I mounted up one with a stock vaterra tsl and it mounted easily so hopefully they'll mount any tire well as I've heard mixed reviews about their wheels and different brands of tires.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #192
RCC Addict

Here's a quick video at the test rock...

https://youtu.be/K6qO_ewI3yo

And one at the beach on a very steep and wet at the bottom rock...

https://youtu.be/CTWiVSEiODU

And another at a technical steep climb I thought was fun...

https://youtu.be/47l1oeRh_pY
Old 10-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #193
RCC Addict

Had the truck out today testing the new pit bull mad beast tires I got for it. They're nice but a little big for my liking. I'm really a 4.5" and under tire guy for sure. Remember last post I said it seemed my motor was getting tired. Well, it was. Not sure if it was the little big bigger tires that pushed it over the edge but after about an hour in heading out of the pit on the dirt road, in 2nd gear wide the F open and it starts slowing down, then back to wide open, then slows down. I walk up to it and I'm up wind of the truck and can smell the dreaded magical electrical smoke smell. I pull the battery and it's the motor. Smoking hot and done. Original motor since September 2015. Time for a new one. Think I'm going to stay cheap and simple, Holmes hobbies trailmaster in the 55t option. I like my slow controlled crawling and this this will be nice.

Ben

Old 10-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #194
Quarry Creeper

Says a lot about these trucks when you can go 2 years without replacing much of anything!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #195
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Says a lot about these trucks when you can go 2 years without replacing much of anything!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup, sure does.

Forgot that I haven't put any pictures on here of my new wheels and tires. Got the new Rc4wd GM rally wheels and love them. I wish they were 1.55's for a more scale look but I still couldn't help myself buying them. I wanted another set of bead locks so I can test different types of tires. Since I'm building different bodies to suit my mood, I want different wheels and tires to fit each body as well.

I like these tires kind of. Little too big for my liking and too much body rub. Im not willing to cut the fenders anymore so I don't see them staying on this truck much. But anyway, here they are...

Old 10-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Very nice with bobbed body, red painted Rally wheels, GMC grill etc, wow! Great how the Vaterra tires mounted up on the RC4WD Rally wheels, that tire bead is right there flush with rim lip!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Yup, sure does.

Forgot that I haven't put any pictures on here of my new wheels and tires. Got the new Rc4wd GM rally wheels and love them. I wish they were 1.55's for a more scale look but I still couldn't help myself buying them. I wanted another set of bead locks so I can test different types of tires. Since I'm building different bodies to suit my mood, I want different wheels and tires to fit each body as well.

I like these tires kind of. Little too big for my liking and too much body rub. Im not willing to cut the fenders anymore so I don't see them staying on this truck much. But anyway, here they are...

Hey Ben, You should have borrowed mine first to test!!!!! LOL You know I'm there for you bud!
Ernie
Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #198
RCC Addict

Ernie, I know but you said they were 2.2's so they would have been ginormous I think lol. This way, I can keep them for spares or build another body that suits them and looks more appropriate. I'm working out some foam issues and will give them another try. After I buy a new motor of course which will have to wait until next month.

Gotta say that Eddie at CI is a class act. I order some single stage deuces wild
Foams for these tires and once installed, one seemed right and the other three seemed to be too big. The tire was really tight to the foam and the tread was concave a bit. I tried letting them break in but no dice. I emailed him some pictures of the foams side by side because it was obvious that one was shorter and narrower than the others. I then called him and we had a good talk about what I was looking for and what my options were. He hand picked through his stack to make sure he got me three other foams to match the one that I liked the fit of and sent them to me. Class act. Won't get that service from any of the other foam companies I bet!

Ben
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #199
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Ernie, I know but you said they were 2.2's so they would have been ginormous I think lol. This way, I can keep them for spares or build another body that suits them and looks more appropriate. I'm working out some foam issues and will give them another try. After I buy a new motor of course which will have to wait until next month.

Gotta say that Eddie at CI is a class act. I order some single stage deuces wild
Foams for these tires and once installed, one seemed right and the other three seemed to be too big. The tire was really tight to the foam and the tread was concave a bit. I tried letting them break in but no dice. I emailed him some pictures of the foams side by side because it was obvious that one was shorter and narrower than the others. I then called him and we had a good talk about what I was looking for and what my options were. He hand picked through his stack to make sure he got me three other foams to match the one that I liked the fit of and sent them to me. Class act. Won't get that service from any of the other foam companies I bet!

Ben
Water under the bridge. That was my bad Ben, they are 1.9s mounted on 2.2s, sometimes my thoughts get way ahead of my hunt and peck typing so I didn't get that little detail to you.
Ernie
Old 10-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #200
RCC Addict

I got the matching foams to match up with my one good fitting deuces wild foam from the first order. Perfect fit and match. Well, another amazing day in Maine for October, almost 70degrees and sunny so I had to get to breaking in these tires. I did take some 80grit sand paper, hold it against each wheel while pulling the throttle to help speed up the process.

While out on the rocks today, I noticed a difference from the matching foams for the better. I also noticed that these tires like to be spun. I'd sit in one spot, just slow spin the tires, not wide open hoping around, but just a smooth spin, work the steering a bit, then all of sudden traction and I'd move up the really steep test granite rocks I've got. They still don't have the traction my vaterra tsl's have, but enough for me to keep trying them out. They're growing on me a bit but still a little tall for my liking. I may at some point switch to CI dual stage foams like I have in the tsl's just to see if they're better or not.

Also, got my new Holmes hobbies trailmaster sport motor in. I got the 55 turn and man is it SLOW! I love it lol. High gear wide open is just a walking pace that's it. Probably be just right on 3s but I still run 2s on this truck. I'll try it out on 3s to see if I still have the jumpy tip in throttle response I had with the stock motor but am very happy with it on 2s. I just use 2nd gear more for wheel speed if I need it instead of just on the flat trail sections. The motor has enough power now to throttle out in 2nd if need be.

My baby blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a Blazer CGR interior inside a 'full top' PLR Blazer body-Has anyone done this? BeeRC Paint and Body 4 10-31-2009 03:37 PM
Nascarkeith's Proline Blazer CGR Bodied Blazer Wheely King nascarkeith HPI Wheely King 6 10-30-2009 02:49 AM