Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My baby blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My baby blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
Off the top of your head, do remember what size the bolt was that you used to attach the ball ends to? I see a Natedog used a 1.5mm length, just curious to the thickness. I just want to make sure I get everything I need to do this all at one time. Its an hour drive to the LHS and don't want to make multiple trips and currently don't have a supply of extra parts (yet).
Bolt to attach what ball-ends, swaybar endlinks and attach to where? 1.5mm length? Please clarfiy.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #82
RCC Addict

I'm assuming you want to know how long of a bolt to mount the ball ends to the crossmember on the frame? They're 15mm long. The most important thing that I forgot was to get longer bolts for the attachment to the axle. You need 35mm bolts to go through the sway bar mount, plus the factory link and shock mount too. That should do it.

I had to paint my inner fenders. They were clear but I just scuffed them up and used truck bed liner spray paint I had left over. Hope this helps.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #83
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
What a beautiful place!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Inner fenders came out nice! Beautiful crawl spot too.

Not to hijack Ben's thread, but that last set of pics is from Reid State Park in Georgetown, ME.
One of our favorite haunts, due to the vast amounts of rock and highly picturesque scenery!!
Full Throttle Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #84
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Bolt to attach what ball-ends, swaybar endlinks and attach to where? 1.5mm length? Please clarfiy.
The screw that goes through the vertical hole on the inside of the frame rails (with the washer under the screw head). The screw attaches the ball ends to the frame.

On your build thread you showed it here: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER Post 125
NTA_Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
The screw that goes through the vertical hole on the inside of the frame rails (with the washer under the screw head). The screw attaches the ball ends to the frame.

I thought you were talking about those. They are 15mm long. 3mmx.5 thread bolts. And yes, you need a flat washer to keep them from just going right through the hole in the crossmember.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Rob View Post
Not to hijack Ben's thread, but that last set of pics is from Reid State Park in Georgetown, ME.
One of our favorite haunts, due to the vast amounts of rock and highly picturesque scenery!!
Good to know and I'm sure there are some other Maine crawlers looking for good crawl spots.

Quote:

Gotcha, thanks for clarification. I used 3x16mm, 3x15mm work great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I thought you were talking about those. They are 15mm long. 3mmx.5 thread bolts. And yes, you need a flat washer to keep them from just going right through the hole in the crossmember.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #87
RCC Addict

I added to my front inner fenders. I used some black gorilla tape doubled on itself and just stuck it to the sounder mounts and front inner fenders to keep wheel spray off from the motor and insides. Not sure how long this will last but it's stuck on there for sure! Makes putting the body on over my side pins a royal pain but I think it'll be worth it with the upcoming mud season. I'm still waiting to finish eating the hummus we have in the fridge so I can make my rear in er fenders.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

You haven't finished eating that yet?
Full Throttle Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #89

Nice write up Ben, definitely going to use some of your tricks. Hope to have it ready for the weekend
Midcoast crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Thanks! That'd be great if you can make it with the blazer. The more the merrier!
Ben
Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I added to my front inner fenders. I used some black gorilla tape doubled on itself and just stuck it to the sounder mounts and front inner fenders to keep wheel spray off from the motor and insides. Not sure how long this will last but it's stuck on there for sure! Makes putting the body on over my side pins a royal pain but I think it'll be worth it with the upcoming mud season. I'm still waiting to finish eating the hummus we have in the fridge so I can make my rear in er fenders.
Nice, should last awhile I had to repair mine at Axialfest 2014 with Gorilla Tape....lasted months until I replaced them. ShoeGoo or E6000 could make them permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Rob View Post
You haven't finished eating that yet?
We'll be right over...chips, crackers or sourdough bread? Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoast crawler View Post
Nice write up Ben, definitely going to use some of your tricks. Hope to have it ready for the weekend
X2.

@Midcoast crawler where's your build thread?

Quote:
Thanks! That'd be great if you can make it with the blazer. The more the merrier!
Ben
Yeppers!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Got out for another group run today. Very nice day for this time of year. Lots of different types of terrain as we were in the woods and out in the open on a ledge mountain top. There were a few frozen sections still which made for some fun! I left the tsl's on this time and they did great overall. There were a couple spots that i really did miss the rock beasts though. I got to try 3s for the first time as my 2nd battery died at the top of the trail and another guy had a spare 3s with my plug on it. Man, what a difference!!!!!! Crazy wheel speed, especially in 2nd gear. It was very touchy though gettin the throttle and the drag brake. Something id have to get used to but for now I like the smoothness of the 2s with the stock esc. On to the few poctures i took...

Last edited by Itali83; 02-28-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #93
RCC Addict

Here's a video of the blazer climbing a stupid steep section of rock. So bummed that my camera died just before it hooked and finished the climb but I have witnesses!! lol

http://youtu.be/rqYOy_MqWkM
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

Looking smart mate, liking the videos too Still envious of that terrain!!!
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrockcrawler View Post
Looking smart mate, liking the videos too Still envious of that terrain!!!
Thank you! I'm a huge fan of natural rock over dirt and mud for sure. I like the slow technical part. Get bored with bashing and mud boggin'. The weather has been very mild this winter so I've been spoiled being able to get as much as I have for sure. The truck is just fun to use, hasn't let me down and dosent show signs of wearing out either. It's a great rig for sure!
Ben
Old 03-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Finally got a chance to check this out. Just ordered up sway bars for both my ascenders. I could see the difference from you're rig to mine with out one. If everything goes well. I will have the K-5 ready for Maidens
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 AM   #97
RCC Addict

You won't regret the sway bar for sure! Your rig already handled very nicely and that'll just add to it. I won't make it to maidens this time but maybe later I. The year. Camden is a hike for me and I've got so much going on right now.
Ben
Old 03-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

It do well. But I find on steep grades the torque twist starts playing a huge part in my rear shocks not holding and totally collapsing. And I have the shocks set right where i like them. The last time we ran together, it showed the sway bar is needed when I was unable to get through Destiny's Crack. All though the slush did play a huge part in it. When it was dry I made it. But the twist wasn't helping. There were a few spots that I was having issues with that I just blamed on the wider tires. I had one spot Robs scx was handing me my arse. I really thing the sway bar is going to make a huge difference. Plus give me that much more stability with side hilling. It does well, but I want better. I did pick up a pair of shorty packs. And plan on putting the ford back to the stock battery placement. That alone should help a lot.
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Got to get out for a little bit in another local gravel pit for some exploring and crawling. Not much at this place but a few good pieces of ledge to crawl. It was super smooth in sections and really out the tsl's to work. Think my rock beasts would have done better obviously but they were on the truck today. There was a nice variety or smooth rock, loose rock and some dirt to make the climbs interesting. Here's the pics!...

Last edited by Itali83; 03-06-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Here's a quick video from today too...

http://youtu.be/DnzIRO4E9eU

My baby blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a Blazer CGR interior inside a 'full top' PLR Blazer body-Has anyone done this? BeeRC Paint and Body 4 10-31-2009 03:37 PM
Nascarkeith's Proline Blazer CGR Bodied Blazer Wheely King nascarkeith HPI Wheely King 6 10-30-2009 02:49 AM