Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My baby blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #101
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My baby blazer

Nice outing! Now if you could ship me a crate of those rocks to south MS.
NTA_Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
Nice outing! Now if you could ship me a crate of those rocks to south MS.
lol thanks! Send the box and postage and I'll get right on it!
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #103
RCC Addict

I Went out again today for some crawling. I tried to find some new spots within walking distance and found some but they aren't worth the effort. So I went back to my trusty pits. I also dabbled in 3s today too. I needed a battery for another project I'm building which will be 3s and bought a battery with the same plugs as the blazer so I gave it a go. Honestly, after the initial "fun factor" of big time wheel speed wore off, I didn't like it. With the stock electronics and motor, it's too much, the smoothness and precise slow speed crawling is gone. I've got a DX4C remote and played with the expo but I thik it's just the fact that the 35 turn motor on 3s is too much. I want to stay with the stock electronics as I can't afford a nice brushless setup and frankly love how it crawls as is so I'm going to stick with 2s for now. I have to say that I will use 3s on trail runs and for fun in the yard but for the technical rock climbing that I do 2s. Here's a few picture from today...

Living on the edge!! It dosent show well, but that's a serious drop off. At least 75 feet anyway!

Last edited by Itali83; 03-12-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #104
RCC Addict

I was bored and couldn't stand the completely chrome grill anymore. I had to make it a little more accurate since I've got 8 real ones staring at me in my yard at all times lol.

I'll be peeling the scuffed and peeling window "tint" off next and adding real tint on the inside and painting the rubber gaskets on to look a little more real as well.
Ben
Old 03-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #105
Rock Stacker

Did you paint each one individually or paint and wipe off the high spot?
Looks good!
NTA_Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA_Shawn View Post
Did you paint each one individually or paint and wipe off the high spot?
Looks good!
The blacked out parts the simulate the radiator and behind are still the stickers that came with the truck. They still look good to me so I left them.
Ben
Old 03-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #107
RCC Addict

I added some rear upper link riser mounts today from rc addicts. The rear pinion angle has been bothering me for a bit and I was going to buy the gcm truss for the rear end but almost $40 didn't really work for me. I was going to just add another spacer in the upper links but didn't want to deal with it or possibly weaken the links. So I found these for $10 on their site and they say it helps with uphill climbs plus helps the pinion angle. Both pluses in my book. So I installed them and it was very easy and straightforward. It did mention that if you have the 2 speed like I do that you'll have to clearance the left mount a bit but there's plenty of meat there for it not to be a problem. I did space the link out with a couple spacers because the end joint was a little too close for me. I haven't tested it yet but the pinion angle is much better and that was my main beef. As long as they don't for some reason yet the performance, I'm happy.

I also finally took off the scratched and peeling window tint stickers, and I hand painted the runner weatherstripping on and added 20% automotive tint to the inside of the windows. Looks MUCH better to me. Plus I installed my detailed grill as well. Thanks for looking!
Ben

Last edited by Itali83; 03-19-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Hi Ben,
Blazer is really progressing nicely, love the detailed grill and I agree about the window tint. Stock window stickers are thick and heavy too, it might not seem like much, but it's weight up...both reasons I removed mine and detailed the window rubbers/frames, still need to do the side rears on mine. Rear pinion angle looks good and about same as mine I did with small upper link spacers. Those RC Addict rear upper link mounts look beefier than the Jcad ones, nice. :thumbsup:
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Here's a video of the blazer doing it's thing. The rulr's haven't hurt anything climbing wise that's for sure. The tsl's were working hard on this climb!

http://youtu.be/7UU8TfllJFs

Ben

Last edited by Itali83; 03-20-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Here's a video of the blazer doing it's thing. The rulr's haven't hurt anything climbing wise that's for sure. The tsl's were working hard on this climb!

http://youtu.be/7UU8TfllJF

Ben
link is not working ..
Crash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash13 View Post
link is not working ..
Thanks! Got it fixed.
Ben
Old 04-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Here's the new wheels I got from a local crawling friend. They're going to be my dedicate rock beast tires. Also got my new scale hubs painted up. They're the lockeduprc ones and are just covers so they thread on the end of the axle over the hub nuts. I like these better since they can just be hand tight and not have to buy a special tool for them. Plus they were cheaper too.
Ben

Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Been playing around with another body for my blazer. Got this shell used from a friend. I tried stripping the paint that it had on it with dot 3 brake fluid and it really worked well. I may have over done it though by letting it soak all day while at work, (11 hours) as it took the paint off effortlessly, but did discolor the lexan a bit and made some spots brittle. I think the brittle spots were spots where it was already cracked or stressed from prior owners use and abuse but now I had to deal with that. They also kind of screwed the front up where the grill attached by cutting big holes out behind the headlights instead of masking and not painting that area so the light will shine through. So the front end was VERY weak and floppy. So needless to say, this body has tons of drywall mesh and shoe goo! Making it impossible to paint on the inside. So I did all painting on the outside, with many different color layers so once the scratches start, it will start looking different. I'm not going to pre weather it, but let my bad driving take care of that. I originally wanted to paint it like my first truck, an '87 GMC jimmy and get really detailed but this body was past that point of trying. So I came up with the idea of painting it every color of just the GMC jimmies that I've got in the yard and have driven. So this is what I've got. I went with painting the inside of the glass since it was a little discolor ex plus I was being lazy. The ghetto tint kinda looks bad ass too lol. I've still got a lot of detailing to do and am going to try to make my own marker lights, door handles, and maybe wiper arms with some styrene that I've been playing with. I've also got a top secret grill I'm making from scratch but that'll have to wait until it's done and I'm set up to make more incase anyone wants one. Think you will!!....

Last edited by Itali83; 04-30-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

I like it

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #115
RCC Addict

So I've been super busy and haven't been out crawling for a couple of weeks but have a little time here and there to do up a used body I bartered for with a local friend. The body was used and had some cracks and damage to it do I knew going into it that I wasn't going to do a perfect paint job on it. I decided to paint it on the outside but did strip the paint that was on the inside. I used DOT 3 brake fluid and it worked really well and easy. The only thing and it's probably my fault was that I let it sit during a whole day of work which is 11 hours and it did start to discolor the lexan and made it brittle in some spots. Seems the brittle spots are where there were cracks already so that probably didn't help. I wanted to experiment and am happy with the results since I'm painting on the outside. I just didn't want red underneath once the outside paint wears off so that's why I stripped it.

I had to figure out what color I wanted to paint it. I wanted to do a tribute to my first k5 which was an 87 jimmy. But the body was a little too rough for my to put the effort into the paint and everything. So I came up with the idea of painting a section of the truck a color of every Jimmy that I have in the yard. Keep in mind that this does not include the blazers I have too. The blue and silver hood represents my original 87 jimmy, the red/silver fender is an 88 jimmy, copper fender is my 82 GMC, and the flat black body is my '86 Jimmy. I used all automotive paint since I'm cheap. I used grey etching primer for my first coat, then silver to represent metal, flat white on the top for the fiberglass and then the flat black on the main body. The copper fender is over yellow since my 82 was original yellow then painted copper. I painted the inside flat black which makes the windows solid black because I was too lazy to use tint like I did on my red body plus there was a little staining on a window or too. I kinda like the blacked out look now too.

I have no idea how well the paint will hold up but wanted to try it out and be cheap since I already had the paint kicking around. I've got to do some fender trimming but may just let it rub for now.

Is that a GMC emblem on the hood? Hhhhmmmmm weird...

Last edited by Itali83; 05-09-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Shows how busy and not paying attention I've been. Basically double posted. My bad lol. Pretty bad when I don't even read my own posts!
Ben
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #117
RCC Addict

So no one bit the bait and was wondering why there is a GMC emblem on the hood!? Maybe this picture will peak some interest. Too bad the glare is so bad from the headlights.....

Old 05-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #118
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
So no one bit the bait and was wondering why there is a GMC emblem on the hood!? Maybe this picture will peak some interest. Too bad the glare is so bad from the headlights.....

I saw the handwriting on the wall. LOL
Looks great!!!!!
Full Throttle Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

I'll take the bait (mmmm donuts.....)...didn't see the grill until now, but I like your pic with the GMC emblem.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #120
RCC Addict

I was being silly and seeing if anyone else was excited for a gmc grill as I am. I've looked high an low and haven't seen another gmc grill for a vaterra body except the one that's on here but I think that grill is not very good.

Here it is. My first one. I'd make a few little changes on th next one I do bu am very happy especially since it's my first time working with styrene and plastic cement. I'd even think about making some for people if there is enough of an interest and money to make it worth my time. Let me know what you guys think!
Ben

One of my '87's for scale...

Last edited by Itali83; 05-10-2016 at 11:27 AM.

My baby blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a Blazer CGR interior inside a 'full top' PLR Blazer body-Has anyone done this? BeeRC Paint and Body 4 10-31-2009 03:37 PM
Nascarkeith's Proline Blazer CGR Bodied Blazer Wheely King nascarkeith HPI Wheely King 6 10-30-2009 02:49 AM