Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Diary of a Stock Bronco...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Diary of a Stock Bronco...

That looks like trail run paradise - great pics!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Great pics. Great looking Bronco. Dig it.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Another Utard here, run with Dudley on occasion and Was inspired by Dudley to buy a Deadbolt last winter. Always wanted to try an Ascender and almost went that way twice but Daughter wanted a Komodo so building that instead right now (also a 15% off RPP Special). Am interested to see how yours holds up. If you are on 801RCC post your adventures and will try to connect there.
Nice! Let me know how you like that Komodo, I gave it a look before ordering the ascender, but I was just too dead set on the ascender for my next big purchase!

As for my next update….

I wasn’t able to get out on Saturday, but I was fully charged and ready to hit some new terrain on Sunday!

I met up with my little Brother in Herriman, and while we were waiting for more batteries to charge I put him in charge of finding us some spots (his neck of the woods, not mine!) First we went to “The Cove” in Herriman. It’s basically a large pond for fishing, and a little park with some playground equipment. However there is a small creek bed running through it that was pretty much dried out, and that made for some decent trailing.

We couldn’t resist a little crawling on the large sign, but kept it low-key because I am sure we weren’t supposed to be up there!

Next, we went up to Yellow Fork/Rose Canyon as it was really close by. This place is pretty much dominated by people on horses, so we had to stop and park our rigs whenever anyone came by (as to not spook the horses.) But we did manage to peel off the main trail, and found a great little side trail that was full of semi-large rocks, we followed that for probably close to 1/4 or maybe 1/2 a mile, but then had to turn around when my Brother’s SCX lost its drag link screw. The trail was pretty cool, there were a few technical parts, but overall it seemed like a “scale trail” if that makes sense, it seemed as though the terrain was similar to what our rigs 1:1 counterparts would be handling for a fun Sunday Trail.

Luckily I had a fully charged battery for my Wraith! I actually really wanted to mess around with my Wraith, and my brother was happy to get some time to test out the Bronco. So for the rest of the day (remaining 2 battery packs) he was in control! We went further up the main trail this time (which was hard packed dirt, that my car could probably drive on!) However there were plenty of spots to play on off the trail.

We went probably a half mile in, before jumping across the creek to play on the other side (which looked and was much more fun!) Lots of steep inclines, rocks, logs/branches, and a huge blanket of leaves covering everything! I had a blast tearing it up in my Wraith, and was happy to see it hold up to the brushless powerhouse that I put into it a few weeks ago. The only thing that Buck really suffers from is a lack of wheel speed, but honestly it didn’t really keep him from going anywhere the wraith went (for the most part) He just needed a bit more time!

Here is our end of day pic, at the trailhead sign.

We put another 3 full packs through Buck, and he is holding up great! We are at the 7 pack mark! (7x Venom 2000mah 2s 20c lipos) The only breakage we have at this point is a sizable tear in the body. I noticed a small tear in the fender on the first pack while we were at the cove, but by the end of the day it had torn quit a bit farther up the body. These bodies ain’t cheap! I will look into my options for patching/repairing it before I take him out again, as to hopefully avoid it shearing up even farther.

All in all it was a fun day! No rain/snow, and it wasn’t too cold. I should have more updates this weekend, unfortunately with the recent time change, I probably won’t be able to do much of anything RC-wise during the week, as it is usually dark by the time I am off work!

I will do some research as to body repairs, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to effectively patch it, please do not hesitate to let me know!!!
Metalhed2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the pics! Fix and reinforce other parts of the body while you're at it with mesh type drywall tape and then thin coat of E6000. Thoroughly wash and dry the body with warm water and dish soap first.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks for the pics! Fix and reinforce other parts of the body while you're at it with mesh type drywall tape and then thin coat of E6000. Thoroughly wash and dry the body with warm water and dish soap first.
Thanks for the advice Nate! I ordered the mesh tape, and E6000 stuff from Amazon, should be here tomorrow.

We finally got snow here in Utah today... I hope we have a mild winter this year!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

That drywall mesh will work good. I've only used it with shoe goo but I'm sure the E6000 will be fine.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
BrotherAndySLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

E6000 is better than Shoegoo, thinner consistency and therefore easier to put on thin layers. Doesn't dry up in tube as fast either. Put the drywall mesh tape on, smear thin coat of E6000 on and let it dry overnight. If you do more than that the mash tape can slide around and bunch up. Next day you can put heavier coat of E6000 on.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #28

Will do, thanks for the advice!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #29

Hey! A fellow Utahn!
I have enjoyed your "diary" so far, wish I had been so diligent as to keep track of my batteries spent. With my K5 I have been using my massive venom 5000 mAh 3s batteries which go an average of 4 hours. After countless batteries drained, I still have had no breakages and no major issues. Though I did go for an rc screwz kit to help with my rusting screws and bolts.
You mentioned looking for spots earlier, Dimple Dell in Sandy has some fun side trails (to avoid the horses) and if you can make it all the way up to the east bench/ Olympus Cove area, Neff's canyon trail is AMAZING! tons of steep hills, big rocks, roots, logs etc. No horses, but a few dogs here and there.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventures!
BareKnuckleB0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareKnuckleB0B View Post
Hey! A fellow Utahn!
I have enjoyed your "diary" so far, wish I had been so diligent as to keep track of my batteries spent. With my K5 I have been using my massive venom 5000 mAh 3s batteries which go an average of 4 hours. After countless batteries drained, I still have had no breakages and no major issues. Though I did go for an rc screwz kit to help with my rusting screws and bolts.
You mentioned looking for spots earlier, Dimple Dell in Sandy has some fun side trails (to avoid the horses) and if you can make it all the way up to the east bench/ Olympus Cove area, Neff's canyon trail is AMAZING! tons of steep hills, big rocks, roots, logs etc. No horses, but a few dogs here and there.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventures!

Thanks for the recommendation! I am ALWAYS looking for fresh new spots!

My brother and I went to Kiwanis again on Sunday, I should have a fresh update posted later tonight or tomorrow! Glad to hear your rig has been treating you right, nothing like having a solid dependable trail rig!

Last edited by Metalhed2434; 11-17-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #31

Well, My brother and I are quite jaded with our crawlin' spots...and because this last Sunday was seemingly the best weather we were going to have for a few months we decided to stick with the legendary Kiwanis! I made this thread pretty much just to document how well the ascender stands up to normal use, but hopefully I will switch up the spots to keep it interesting here in the future!

Though, on a positive note; There was more and more water flowing this time, and it honestly seemed like a whole new place!

This is the view from the top of the steep incline right at the beginning of the park (this runs down into a small reservoir.)

This is what it looks like just before the fall (I probably stepped back 10-15 yards from the above photo.)

Various other pics taken near the same area, as well as further into the creek bed that parallels the main trail:

As I have said before, I typically avoid water like the plague! Even if an RC is waterproof it just tends to be that much harder on the rig, and I don't like dealing with the extra maintenance afterwards. Having said that I decided to truly let loose and enjoy it with this rig, and I am glad I did! It was a BLAST! The water was the PERFECT depth to both pose a challenge, and not completely drown our rigs. We went as far as we usually do up the creek, and had to hop from dry spot to dry spot, mostly on rocks, but didn't have to H.O.G. our rigs more than once (towards the end they both took a dive trying to cross a really deep/moving fast part of the creek), it was a really good time! I apologize for the lack of "in action" photos...I got pretty caught up in the creek crawling! We trailed back, and messed around a bit further in the trench near the parking
lot, and then decided to go put the beatdown on the other side of the mountain with our Yeti's.

This photo kind of sucks...but the view from up there is amazing!

This brings us to the 9 pack mark, and so far the only damage/breaking I have had was the cracking of the body. I'll upload a picture of my patch job eventually, but the drywall tape and adhesive worked GREAT! Big shoutout/thanks to Natedog for the killer advice!
Side note: Non-lubricated condoms and rubber bands work great for waterproofing those small venom batteries :P

Last night I tore apart the front/rear axles/diffs and dried/greased all my bearings/gears. It took a while...and I toyed with the idea of just leaving the transmission alone it looked pretty damn sealed, but boy am I glad I didn't! That thing was full of water! I greased it all up good, and buck is ready for the next adventure. Hopefully this weekend! I'd really like to check out Dimple Dell or Neffs Canyon as BareKnuckleBob suggested, hopefully the weather isn't too terrible!

As always thanks for reading!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

THanks for the updates and pics, love the scenery! Your buddy needs to get togehter a small trail repair parts setup. I use an old prescription pill bottle for setscrews, screws, pins, washers, nuts, servo horn etc. then I put stuff like links, spur gears, driveshafts etc. in a Ziploc freezer quart bag, then I'm ready for most trail breakage and don't have to end my day or hike way back to the car for repairs. I also carry a Losi multi-tool driver with added 7mm and 5.5mm nut drivers for wheels and small nuts.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Hey man, more pics! lol I'm enjoying this thread and want to see more. Hopefully you get some time to put more miles I the old girl.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #34

Sorry for the long hiatus...More updates to come as the weather gets warmer!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to it!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Why wait!? Get out there and take some pics. I miss your updates and adventures. I've been out a lot more this winter than I thought I would. We've had a really mild winter both snow and temps. But as I speak it's in the single digits and headed to 10-20 below 0 tonight and tomorrow night so that'll keep me inside for sure!!

Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #37

You can't hide forever! This weather is perfect for getting out and taking a few pics... while driving of course.
BareKnuckleB0B is offline   Reply With Quote

Diary of a Stock Bronco... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sad cat/dog diary vonclod Chit Chat 2 05-12-2014 12:24 PM
Dear diary. stoneface Chit Chat 0 09-11-2010 04:54 PM
Dear diary. stoneface General Crawlers 3 09-11-2010 04:45 PM
2.2 Tuber Picture diary rnpnick General Crawlers 41 02-11-2009 09:14 PM
Pet Diary Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 6 05-04-2007 10:44 AM