Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default bilinvic's Ascender

I decided a 1.9 was needed back into my fleet and the lucky recipient was a new Ascender Bronco. I’m a sucker for that powder blue Bronco body style!

A couple of guys I crawl with have the LWB Blazer version and swear by them over the SCX10. I want to try to keep this build relatively low budget, but that will be prove to be rather difficult because all my builds tend to empty my savings account! Lol

I went with the SWB knowing it may decrease crawling performance, so I am going to try to maximize its performance keeping the 10.95” WB until the point I get too frustrated and decide to lengthen the WB! I’ve done tons of research on this particular rig and there’s some great info to be found on RCC with regards to the Ascender.

Here she is out of the box:

Ascender_01

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's Ascender

The first order of business was lowering the body a few holes on the posts. I did have to trim the front posts at the first hole to get them lower. At this time, 4 full holes are exposed on the front posts and 8 full holes on the rear.

I flipped (front to back) the slider mounts on the frame so that I could utilize the battery tray mounts for the rear upper link mounts; I was told this would help to minimize the dreaded torque twist. Obviously this results in having to find an alternate method to mount the battery. I added 3/16” spacers to the upper links to improve the pinion angle on the rear differential.

With a SWB configuration, the space to mount a battery tray sideways behind the front shock towers is limited, so I decided to keep the stock battery tray for now except it’s mounted rigidly to the front shock towers. There’s existing holes in the lower forward section of the towers to screw into the tray, I added spacers to fill the slight gap between the tray and towers. I drilled two corresponding holes on the rear tower sections (approximately mid-point) and through the sides of the battery tray and used screws, spacers and nuts to secure the tray. It fits perfectly with about 1 mm of clearance from the motor and feels very rigid. The tray also fulfills the duty of providing support to the towers because the aluminum tower brace had to be removed in order for the battery to fit. I added a semi-rigid foam piece to the tray floor so that slightly longer batteries don’t rest on the lip of the tray. If needed, longer batteries will fit by going over the servo. I plan on using my 2200 mAh 3S shorty batteries.

I trimmed about an 1/8” off of the front bumper mount to get the bumper a little closer to the body which results in a slightly better approach angle.

The stock 14t pinion was swapped out for a 12t Robinson Racing pinion. I have a spare MMP and ROC 412 1800 kV motor that is desperately calling the Bronco’s name, but I am remaining strong…..gotta keep the stock electronics for now! I love that I can simply bind my Spektrum DX4S to the stock Spektrum 3 channel receiver.

My Frankenstein shock setup is an abomination of spare parts. It kills me that the front and rear shocks aren’t matching! The fronts are set-up fairly soft while the rears are quite stiff to also help minimize torque twist. Once I get some crawling trials completed, I’m sure the shocks will change a bit. The fronts are a mix of RC4WD Rock Krawler RRD Emulsion Scale Dual Spring Shocks (110mm) and King shocks (30w). The rears are JunFac G-Transition shocks in the “sprung” configuration with longer lower mounts (30w).

So far, the only cosmetic improvement I have made is the addition of RC4WD 1/10 Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED Lights on the front bumper. With a 2200 mAh main battery, I can fit a 1000 mAh 3S battery in the tray to power the lights.

I’m not a fan of glue-on tires, but I will give them a chance to impress me. If not, new beadlocks, tires and CI foams will be ordered up.

So that’s where I am now with the Bronco. After its first real run on the rocks I will be able to determine which direction I will need to go for performance improvements.

Ascender_10

Ascender_09

Ascender_07

Ascender_08

Ascender_06

Ascender_05

Ascender_02

Ascender_03

Ascender_04

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-14-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

FYI....giving the virgin stock tires a bath of Purple Power makes them very sticky.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Simple green works great and won't take the breath out of you
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sub'd "thumbs-up"
rcaholic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Oh great...another thread of Billinvic's to follow.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

A good start, I was so tempted to get the bronco when I got mine, they do look good
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice...great use if you're not using stock floating tray setup. Sounds like you have good plans for your Bronco, I'm still rocking stock electronics in mine...servo is about to be replaced though.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-30-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm planning to get an Ascender later this year (unless the HPI crawler wows me price wise). I really like the Bronco body, but I want the Blazer's chassis. Let us know how this Bronco crawls vs. a longer wheelbase. If they'd offer a Ramcharger body on the Blazer's chassis, my choice would be clear.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
I'm planning to get an Ascender later this year (unless the HPI crawler wows me price wise). I really like the Bronco body, but I want the Blazer's chassis. Let us know how this Bronco crawls vs. a longer wheelbase. If they'd offer a Ramcharger body on the Blazer's chassis, my choice would be clear.
Just get the Blazer kit then you have every option?
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
Get the Blazer and then you can buy Bronco body, that way you can try both and see what you like. Sell the body you don't like or keep it for another project. Couple peeps I know have Bronco version and almost as short as Bronco, I have not driven them, but I've seen them crawl and they do quite well. Pros and cons to both, shorter steers even tighter (if that's possible) and very maneuverable, Blazer not quite as tight turns, but sill very tight compared to Axial etc. Longer wheelbase climbs better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Just get the Blazer kit then you have every option?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I put the Bronco through some testing in my backyard today....luckily my backyard consists mainly of exposed bedrock.

It performed just OK for me. I might have to lessen my expectations because my other crawlers (2.2) are absolutely dialed in for maximum crawling performance.

First gripe...the fender flares on the stock Bronco body are too wide, the tires are constantly grinding them. I did lower the body a fair bit so this was expected...so they will getting trimmed.

Second gripe...the stock ESC drag brake is set way too high and there's no way to adjust it, going down steep slops it just wants to tumble down nose first if you let of the acceleration too quick.

Third gripe, the stock servo just doesn't have the power to turn the wheels in the rocks and the whole rig isn't very heavy to start off with.

The torque twist is definitely minimized but still exists. I'll have to work on that.

The SWB is also going to take some getting used too. I will have to get some more weight forward and low. This means new wheels to start and then go from there.

As much as I don't want to swap out the stock electronics yet...I don't think I can live with brushed power....I have been spoiled with brushless sensored power in all my other rigs!

Ascender_12

Ascender_13

Ascender_11

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-14-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Nice mini review. As much as I love that Bronco body, I think I'm going to get the Blazer. I'm partial to the long wheelbase.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Nice backyard

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Fender flares trimmed.....which is actually truer to the 1:1 Bronco.

Before:

Ascender_02

After:

Ascender_14

Ascender_15

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-14-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
...luckily my backyard consists mainly of exposed bedrock.

It performed just OK for me. I might have to lessen my expectations because my other crawlers (2.2) are absolutely dialed in for maximum crawling performance.

First gripe...the fender flares on the stock Bronco body are too wide, the tires are constantly grinding them. I did lower the body a fair bit so this was expected...so they will getting trimmed.

Second gripe...the stock ESC drag brake is set way too high and there's no way to adjust it, going down steep slops it just wants to tumble down nose first if you let of the acceleration too quick.

Third gripe, the stock servo just doesn't have the power to turn the wheels in the rocks and the whole rig isn't very heavy to start off with.

The torque twist is definitely minimized but still exists. I'll have to work on that.

The SWB is also going to take some getting used too. I will have to get some more weight forward and low. This means new wheels to start and then go from there.

As much as I don't want to swap out the stock electronics yet...I don't think I can live with brushed power....I have been spoiled with brushless sensored power in all my other rigs!
Yep lower expectation a little this is a scaler and get to work dialing it in, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yes, stock ESC drag brake is pretty rough transition and is a killer on steep technical descents..really gotta work the speed finger. Would be nice to have updated RTR ESC with nice smooth crawler type transition. How is the Axial AE-5 drag brake?

Just some stamped steel beadlocks with CI foams makes huge difference in weight balance and tire stability.

Haha, brushless...nice but kinda pita with sensor cable and all to go wrong...seen too many act up way out in the mountains and you just have to live with it for the day...I like brushed...buy the two-speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete959 View Post
Nice backyard

LIFE IS GOOD
Yes, wow, I like it a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Fender flares trimmed.....which is actually truer to the 1:1 Bronco.
Yes, truer to life and looks 100 times better.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Well, once again my willpower has shown it's weakness...I just can't keep it stock!

MMP (WP), Tekin ROC412 1800kV (WP), CC 10A BEC, HiTec 7955TG w/ Axial clamping servo horn.

After the initial testing yesterday, I knew I was going to hate the stock ESC drag brake which translates into not enjoying the rig...so all the electronics are slightly upgraded!

Ascender_18

Ascender_16

Ascender_17

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-14-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #18
RCC Addict

"slightly upgraded"
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Nice rig..

Agree with the Flares. First thing I did was trim mine down a bit too.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Little power and steering upgrade, nice!

bilinvic's Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's Wraith Rock Crawler bilinvic Axial Wraith 449 02-26-2022 07:04 AM
bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 712 04-25-2020 08:09 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
Video of bilinvic's RR10 Bomber bilinvic Videos! 1 01-02-2016 07:20 PM
bilinvic's Second Wraith Build bilinvic Axial Wraith 11 10-14-2014 05:39 AM