Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Work in progress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Default Work in progress

Well been a long time lurker. Posted the odd question but haven't really had the chance to share much of my build.

Picked up an ascender kit last year and built it over the course of a few weeks. Took my time as this was my first crawler build. Not new to rc but complete noob to crawling. Just built for fun with hopes to get a couple of buddies into the crawling. Figured slower vehicles would be less damage on an outing.

So started with the ascender kit, using an ae5 esc and savox water proof servo with cc bec and picked up a futaba 4pls.

Well things progressed and i tried some axial bead locks with pitbull rock beasts. Really nice tire i found them quite grippy and worked well. Then added an rc4wd warn winch. Shortly after that came the vaterra aluminum body shocks (really like these although quite pricey) and a small light kit. Changed the rear bumper to a steel rc4wd bumper. Also picked up some rc4wd dick cepek wheels (1.9), these are really nicely done. Putting the tires on was a bit of a chore but i read about some tips which eventually saved me. I won't lie, the first tire took longer to mount then the remaining 3.

Then for the winter i started to change directions.. picked up the j concepts ford atlas body and have been slowly plugging away at that. Trying to decide on lights but also couldn't pass up on the rc4wd snow plow kit. This was not a straight forward install... if you run the longer wheel base there is nowhere to tie the front of your steering servo too. Sent some pm's and natedog gave me some ideas. I had to fab up a little bracket and drill and tap to be able to reconnect my steering servo. Not incredibly hard but tough enough when you don't have the proper tools at home. I have to admit i saw another pic online that helped me figure it out.

As it currently sits:

Still working on the bodyband trying to figure out lights etc. Then have to add all the little touches to finish it off. A fun rig and so far no breakdowns for me although i don't get out nearly as often as most. Just enjoying the capabilities of this rig hoping my buddies jump on the band wagon soon.

I hope to one day improve my skills to some of your levels. Maybe think of trying an interior and another kit if possible. Thanks for looking

Last edited by Power to Satisfy; 03-02-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Power to Satisfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Work in progress

Hello and glad to see your thread up here, glad to help on your servo/plow mounting issue looks like it came out well! Where's your RC4WD beadlocks, which ones did you get?

Let you buddies drive it, that's what really gets them convinced and hooked.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Default Re: Work in progress

I did let them drive it... they are hooked, just have to figure out how to convince their wives.

There is the rc4wd tire and rim. I didn't want to get them all messed up in the snow so i used the axial/pitbull combo.

The plow kit is a nicely made piece, just takes a bit of work mounting to the longer wheel base. If you use the shorter wheel base and your sterring servo sits the other way then i think it would be no problems.

Power to Satisfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Work in progress - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work in progress.. CmdrZod Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 12-08-2010 11:46 AM
work in progress dub599 Paint and Body 32 12-19-2009 11:38 AM
work in progress uberalles Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 14 10-17-2008 05:43 PM
My work in progress. MCSCOTT Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 04-22-2008 06:35 AM
work in progress very,very slow progress! rednekcrwlr Tamiya Clod Buster 6 12-18-2006 09:48 PM