Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Jato The Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #101
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Jato The Ascender

Unless I am doing something wrong - ie set up on the computer - I do not have 100% full stop going down hill, which what I want. Then there is the cost of the unit, $108 in Cdn funds. Even the Holmes BRXL is to much. But, if this does it all as people seem to be saying (from what I am reading) this unit is being called equal to or a tad bit better than the SW3. then I can get 2 for $100.00 cdn.
northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern hooligan View Post
Unless I am doing something wrong - ie set up on the computer - I do not have 100% full stop going down hill, which what I want. Then there is the cost of the unit, $108 in Cdn funds. Even the Holmes BRXL is to much. But, if this does it all as people seem to be saying (from what I am reading) this unit is being called equal to or a tad bit better than the SW3. then I can get 2 for $100.00 cdn.
Programming is one of the reasons I hate the SV3. Without a computer and Castle Link it is a royal PITA.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Programming is one of the reasons I hate the SV3. Without a computer and Castle Link it is a royal PITA.

I admit this as well, especially having to take the receiver wire out the Rx box every time. But honestly, once I have it setup how I like, I don't touch the settings unless I change motor or application.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
I admit this as well, especially having to take the receiver wire out the Rx box every time. But honestly, once I have it setup how I like, I don't touch the settings unless I change motor or application.
I think most people are like you. They set it and forget it. I, on the other hand, really like to tinker with my ESC settings. It's so nice being able to do this with ease. And with this ESC you can even do it out on the trail in seconds.

Taking the lid off of the receiver box isn't a big deal in most vehicles, but in others it's a pain to even access. And I hate opening even the easiest to access receiver boxes because getting the gasket back in place while stuffing all of the wires inside can be a pain.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #105

What's the point of the extra caster on the SSD C Hubs? And do you have personal experience with these hubs? If so what are your thoughts?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #106
Pebble Pounder

Hey Jato, where at in PA do you guys run?
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyeightjake View Post
Hey Jato, where at in PA do you guys run?
I run anywhere from Pottstown to Perkasie and everywhere in between.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Cool, I live in MD just south of Lancaster. I may have to run up and play with you guys some time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I run anywhere from Pottstown to Perkasie and everywhere in between.
Looks great Mr. Jato, this truck seems to be coming up on its 1 year anniversary for you, I'm glad you have high opinions about it as I'm thinking about picking one up..
How's the soil up that way? We have that red "Indian clay" about 100 or so miles south of there, takes an aggressive pattern to hook up like a TSL or even the original Ripsaws worked great in it.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Looks great Mr. Jato, this truck seems to be coming up on its 1 year anniversary for you, I'm glad you have high opinions about it as I'm thinking about picking one up..
How's the soil up that way? We have that red "Indian clay" about 100 or so miles south of there, takes an aggressive pattern to hook up like a TSL or even the original Ripsaws worked great in it.
Thank you! I love this truck. It's my favorite scaler at this moment. It even dethroned my beloved Sawback. I've never broken anything, but I'm running a sane 35T brushed motor on 2S and 3S.

The only two knocks are the torque twist and it doesn't have a huge aftermarket. The torque twist rarely bothers me and there are a few solutions. And it really doesn't need much of an aftermarket, but it's growing daily with Vanquish axles on the horizon for example.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Oh one more thing how did that Hobbyking Turnigy servo work out in it? Is it still pushing? Specs look good for 50 bucks..
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #112

Quote:
Oh one more thing how did that Hobbyking Turnigy servo work out in it? Is it still pushing? Specs look good for 50 bucks..
It's really strong and has worked great for a year or two. Even after an accidental complete submerging of my truck in a stream it still works strong and I have no plans to change it unless it dies. Granted this is not a waterproof servo so I may just have gotten lucky.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #113

I got some new goodies for the Ascender.

I'm not sure how long the Holmes Crawlmaster 13T will last with the way I drive and occasionally in mud and water, but I like the performance in my dad's so I'm going to give it a shot.

I also decided to bite on the Vaterra shocks. I think they are overpriced, but I like that they're direct drop in with the correct length and pistons. I'm an engineer so I'm lazy. Haha. I was blown away that they came pre built and even filled with oil. I've never had that with aftermarket shocks. They do seem to be underfilled though. The shafts don't rebound after pushing them in all the way. The shocks are really pretty though!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #114
RCC Addict

Let me know how you like the crawlmaster. I got the 16t for my little Jimmy and have decided to run 3s not 4s because of battery placement and I've already got 3s batteries here to size up yadda yadda yadda.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Those pre-assembled shocks look beautiful.

Doesn't Holmes have they're own motor protector for the rebuildable motors? I think its called a top hat. Not sure how good it works but seems like it would be pretty useful. (Lol, these names I'm seeing here jimmy, top hat...)
Old 03-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #116

Quote:
Those pre-assembled shocks look beautiful.

Doesn't Holmes have they're own motor protector for the rebuildable motors? I think its called a top hat. Not sure how good it works but seems like it would be pretty useful. (Lol, these names I'm seeing here jimmy, top hat...)
Thanks! They are great looking shocks with vibrant blue and elegant grey anodizing. (That's my attempt at marketing for the day )

The top hat is an interesting part. They are out of stock everywhere they are listed so I'm assuming they're discontinued. I have to say I don't see the point though as they don't seem waste tight. It seems they could easily be replicated with a rubber cap from Caplugs. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks! They are great looking shocks with vibrant blue and elegant grey anodizing. (That's my attempt at marketing for the day )

The top hat is an interesting part. They are out of stock everywhere they are listed so I'm assuming they're discontinued. I have to say I don't see the point though as they don't seem waste tight. It seems they could easily be replicated with a rubber cap from Caplugs. Thanks for the tip.
You said elegant Something you need to share with the group!?
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
You said elegant Something you need to share with the group!?
You mean that I can bullshit with the rest of you guys?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 PM   #119
Pebble Pounder

I am still looking at the vaterra aluminum shocks , I am currently using twin hammers shocks with axial springs. I would really like to see how yours work, and where they sit at static ride hight. Any pics and or info would be appreciated.
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:04 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkk5 View Post
I am still looking at the vaterra aluminum shocks , I am currently using twin hammers shocks with axial springs. I would really like to see how yours work, and where they sit at static ride hight. Any pics and or info would be appreciated.
I have not mounted them yet. My other hobbies have been taking up my time.

I will post photos once they are mounted.

Jato The Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
E-JATO Help please djjerbeck Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2014 12:36 AM
Anyone got a Jato 3.3? XJkid93 Non Crawler RC's 1 06-29-2013 09:16 PM