Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Options for Reducing Torque Twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Options for Reducing Torque Twist

Hi, I know there have been some threads on this but nothing really definitive on what really works and what does not. So far the options I have seen are:

1) RURLS - rear link location
2) GCM Rear Axle Truss (not sure if this helps or not)
3) Custom Rear Sway Bars (not wild about this option - would be great if someone had a direct fit kit).
4) Shock spring/oil adjustment or upgraded vaterra/proline shocks

Is there anything that I'm missing? any options work better than the other? I'm thinking of giving the RURLs a try since its the cheapest option.
littlebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Options for Reducing Torque Twist

I have installed the RURLS and the Vaterra aluminum shocks. I see no improvement in torque twist as a result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Moving the shocks further out on the axles is an option as well. This is fairly effective for a (almost) free mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
I have installed the RURLS and the Vaterra aluminum shocks. I see no improvement in torque twist as a result.
I had the same observation on the RULRs, did not provide any noticeable reduction in TT.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I didn't see much if any at all noticeable benefits with the RULRs. In fact, mine are disconnected now, still just attached to the frame but when I installed MIPs the RULRs didn't fit anymore.
NickDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddha View Post
Hi, I know there have been some threads on this but nothing really definitive on what really works and what does not. So far the options I have seen are:

1) RURLS - rear link location
2) GCM Rear Axle Truss (not sure if this helps or not)
3) Custom Rear Sway Bars (not wild about this option - would be great if someone had a direct fit kit).
4) Shock spring/oil adjustment or upgraded vaterra/proline shocks

Is there anything that I'm missing? any options work better than the other? I'm thinking of giving the RURLs a try since its the cheapest option.
If your not going to use your stock battery/rockslider mount, you can save some money by swapping them from left to right and use the battery tray mounts for you rear lower link mounts. Won't cost you a thing!!!!!
The sway bar would be your best bang for the $$$ to combat TT.
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys for the helpful insights - so looks like I can cross out the RURLs. What do you mean by moving the shocks further out? any thread with some pics of this done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Moving the shocks further out on the axles is an option as well. This is fairly effective for a (almost) free mod.

I had the same observation on the RULRs, did not provide any noticeable reduction in TT.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
If your not going to use your stock battery/rockslider mount, you can save some money by swapping them from left to right and use the battery tray mounts for you rear lower link mounts. Won't cost you a thing!!!!!
Ernie,
Thanks - looks interesting - any thread with the pics of this done? I was thikning of the swaybars but would be good if vaterra or someone made a direct fit option. As far as I have read - you have to retrofit an axial one.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks - looks interesting - any thread with the pics of this done? I was thikning of the swaybars but would be good if vaterra or someone made a direct fit option. As far as I have read - you have to retrofit an axial one.
follow the link and go to post#9, you will see 3 links to 3 different builds using the Axial swaybar kit

Rear driver side tire rubbing
northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks guys for the helpful insights - so looks like I can cross out the RURLs. What do you mean by moving the shocks further out? any thread with some pics of this done?
Moving the lower mounting point of the shocks further out towards the ends of the axles. The further out you push it, the more TT reduction that results. I'm sure there is a limit to how far out the shocks can be moved before performance suffers but have not tested to find where that limit is.

This pic gives the basic idea:

Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Ernie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern hooligan View Post
follow the link and go to post#9, you will see 3 links to 3 different builds using the Axial swaybar kit.

Rear driver side tire rubbing

Quote:
Moving the lower mounting point of the shocks further out towards the ends of the axles. The further out you push it, the more TT reduction that results. I'm sure there is a limit to how far out the shocks can be moved before performance suffers but have not tested to find where that limit is.

I haven't tried this method...yet...it's free to almost free though, all you need is longer screws for shock mounts, spacers and washers.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Thanks this makes sense. Will give this a shot for sure. btw have you seen the GCM laydown rear suspension conversion? They say it's to provide space for bodies with low beds but I wonder if it will have a similar impact on the torque twist.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks this makes sense. Will give this a shot for sure. btw have you seen the GCM laydown rear suspension conversion? They say it's to provide space for bodies with low beds but I wonder if it will have a similar impact on the torque twist.
I am well aware of the GCM kit, it has been on my truck for a few months now.

The kit by itself does nothing for torque twist. However, when combined with stiffer rear shocks, TT has reduced considerably with no impact in performance. I have detailed the process in my Ascender thread.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hope this helps.

CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

On the beater i did rulr and 45w in unmodded rear shock it helped alot but i am going to put a sway bar kit on it the flex u lose is almost unuse able anyways imo. The biggest improvement i have seen is a nice firm rear end mmmmmm

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

I run the RULR, Wraith sway bar and lowered shocks and I get very very little twist. The Ascender has tons of flex so losing a little from the rear is more of a benefit than a problem, lowering the shocks 10mm and lowering the body has made it into a very stable rig also.
lel-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I put a set of Icons on my SCX based ToyZuki rig, so I'm going to try the stock SCX10 shocks I had from that and maybe put a little bit longer mounts on the bottom and see how those work with the Ascender. They'll be shorter then the stock shocks and I'm a big fan of the SCX shocks.

I would assume bring the axle up a little bit with shorter shocks, therefore leveling out suspension links a bit could help with TT, correct? Or is my geometry off here?
NickDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I'm very new to the Ascender world, so new that mine is still in tiny little bags in a big box. With that said, I got to drive around an Ascender that was completely stock except for one cheap upgrade, and it didn't have any torque twist. I ran it threw all kinds of rough spots, and the owner competed with in in C2, and did pretty good considering he took it out of the box, worked on it for 5 minutes and entered it. IMO this is a good 23 bucks spent.
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Who sells those?
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Who sells those?
Todd Knopp is his name. He's easy to find on facebook.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #20
RCC Addict

What is that contraption? How does it fit and what hooks to it? I don't do Facebook so in any look it up.
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Options for Reducing Torque Twist - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECX Temper Torque Twist Mod - Reduce torque twist driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 05-14-2016 04:39 PM
GC-3 Chassis trick reducing torque twist Getrag Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 24 05-13-2011 08:42 AM
Torque Twist thebeast Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-01-2009 06:53 PM
Torque Twist Options Mike Poulson General Crawlers 40 03-13-2008 06:33 PM
Reducing torque twist/roll.....? 5150bronco Newbie General 7 03-30-2007 12:47 AM