Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: New Ascender Version Coming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Ascender Version Coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
It took me a couple of goes, and a bit of research to get it right too. Seems it can be tricky getting the trans plate in the correct position. As far as the driveshafts go, i fitted HD shafts early on to my blazer and assumed the short driveshaft was for the front, so I already had that fitted.

Are you telling me the blazer has a long drive shaft in the front normally? If so then that has to be changed out to the short one to suit WB2.
OK, makes sense. There are long, medium and short shafts. Blazer stock uses long rear and medium front. Bronco and K10 iirc use medium rear and short front shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Do you guys use any measurements from the K10 rtr before I start making some changes?
Ernie,
Quote:
Tell what measurements you need from the K10 cage and I will see what I can do for you.
Ernie,
I'm good, buy Hobbezco needs some.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #202
Pebble Pounder

Overall length and length from the cab end to the rear body mounts will be enough. Just want to see if I swap it for the Axial cage on a built body if it will still be close enough to WB4 so that I don't have to mess with it.
Hobbezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbezco View Post
Overall length and length from the cab end to the rear body mounts will be enough. Just want to see if I swap it for the Axial cage on a built body if it will still be close enough to WB4 so that I don't have to mess with it.
Here you go Hobbezco. 8" total length from cab to end bar, and 6 5/16" from cab to center of mount.

Hope that helps you out.
Ernie,
Perspective is off on the photo, but the measurements are correct.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #204
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Here you go Hobbezco. 8" total length from cab to end bar, and 6 5/16" from cab to center of mount.

Hope that helps you out.
Ernie,
Perspective is off on the photo, but the measurements are correct.
Exactly what I need, thank you good sir.
Hobbezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbezco View Post
Exactly what I need, thank you good sir.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #206
I wanna be Dave

K10 cab, cage, and Codyboy Design stickers (thanks Ernie, proud to run these with my sliders and axle housing!) all arrived!

Let's get busy!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #207
I wanna be Dave

Duratrax Bright Yellow, I was going more for the Camel Trophy yellow and it came out exactly as I wanted. Backed with white and then black.

New 'fuel cell' rx box to match the K10 cab, painted red.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Duratrax Bright Yellow, I was going more for the Camel Trophy yellow and it came out exactly as I wanted. Backed with white and then black.

New 'fuel cell' rx box to match the K10 cab, painted red.

That truck is going to look awesome Nate!
Since the K10 RTR doesn't have slider mounts The new sliders I'm going to try and build will bolt up to the frame. So thought I might try and lower my body and cage a little, but now I think I, leaving it stock. It just looks the way 1:1 would look with this body and bed. Having said that, my body bottom sits almost even with the top of the frame. So I think the sliders will have just a little kick up at the body. Sound OK ?
Ernie,
Old 08-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, I'm anxious to finish it and get it on the rocks too!

I thought about lowering the bed and cab too, but maybe on my second K10 body, going to run it at 'stock' height on this build. Good slider idea, sounds great!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #210
I wanna be Dave

Driveshaft comparison, the female driveshaft pieces come in two lengths and the male in two maybe three lengths. My front axle needed the shorter male shaft swapped in so that it wasn't bottoming out when I hooked up the suspension links. The Blazer already had the shorter female shaft up front. Rear runs long shafts, because I'm doing like Yeti.stealth did and trying the hybrid WB2 chassis with WB2 front links and WB4 rear links. "thumbup"

I painted the area behind the see through grill black, cut out just the radiator part of the included sticker and applied to the body before attaching the grill. Front bumper has all the spacers removed and shorter screws used. Bumper still needs to come back 3/8" - 1/2", hope Horizon Hobby is coming out with some shorter bumper mounts. I'll be cutting them shorter to draw the bumper in closer to the body, but they could use more meat for the screws depending how short they end up. Bumper also needs to lose about 1/4" off each end to narrow it up total of about 1/2", a different bumper or two would be nice options to see. I'll cut mine up for now. I scraped the chrome off the Chevy grill emblem and painted it red, applied the headlight stickers too, great looking body wish Vaterra had gone the extra step and molded headlight LED buckets instead of solid plastic and stickers. Need to get another pic. I'll have to fab some headlights buckets and all I guess, then re-attach the grill somehow with tiny screws and ShoeGoo or something.

All stickered up, the smaller Codyboy Design stickers fit perfectly on the fenders and match the color scheme very nicely. Of course I'll build another Hi-Lift jack hood pin for the K10. I'm in the process of installing Gunnar Pins in all the driveshafts and CVDs.
EDIT: The stock plastic sliders gotta go, they hang down about 1/2" too low. The new body/cage is mounted with 4.5 holes showing in the front body post mounts, this is perfect to keep it level with the rear bed/cage.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-31-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #211
Pebble Pounder

looking good! kinda stinks how the mounting screws for the grill are in the road of the headlight buckets, really thinking of how to mount up some lights an still look good, tail lights are pc of cake on rear of cage, but in front that's a different story
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #212
RCC Addict

Here's what it's all about to me! A father and son enjoying the outdoors with their Vaterra Ascender at our local crawl spot.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  183.1 KB
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Here's what it's all about to me! A father and son enjoying the outdoors with their Vaterra Ascender at our local crawl spot.

Attachment 347831
This is so true!! QT time is priceless!!!
Ernie
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I cut the blazer nerf bar side bits down to get the new sliders in tight and up high. I made em outa 2mm black styrene and layered it up, it's 4mm thick where the chassis screws are, 6mm above that.

Attachment 347204
How these holding up, anything you'd change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
kinda stinks how the mounting screws for the grill are in the road of the headlight buckets, really thinking of how to mount up some lights an still look good...
Agreed, love the body, but wish they had done headlight buckets and lenses like the K5 Blazer.

Quote:
Quote:
This is so true!! QT time is priceless!!!
Ernie
Yes sir! Great looking crawl spot by the ocean and fun time with your son. What's new?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #215
RCC Addict

Oh yeah! That place is pretty cool. The humpback whales are migrating north right now and they sometimes come very close to the point in the background, we saw several pods pass by that morning.

The styrene sliders are holding up fine, surprisingly.It has taken a few big tumbles and has been getting a lot of use.
My boy really needs his own rig and I swear I have not influenced him in any way, but he only wants the Vaterra Bronco RTR. I have shown him pics and YouTube clips of others but he always says "no, I want the blue Bronco!"

The Codyboy axles and Jconcepts scorpios are great, still fooling around with foams and the only new thing is a set of black eBay China beadlocks to put the scorpios on, the China wheels are 1 inch wide and have slw style hubs. The hubs are the .350 offset and a little too wide and it makes the front tyres rub a bit more on the front edge while steering. I will try the .225 offset hubs and I think they will be good then. They might not rub much on a stock K10 that hasn't got Natedog spec shocks!

Put my old well worn Vaterra TSL's back on the SSD wheels and look forward to swapping back and forth as it suits me now the scorpios have their own wheels. There a soft compound and I don't think they will last long, unlike the Vaterra tyres. I think I will keep them reserved for comp tyres and the TSL's will be our basher tyres.

Last edited by Yeti.stealth; 09-15-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Cool, nice to see the whales migrating too.

Good to hear on the styrene sliders, figured they might flex a bit and do quite well as long as they don't flex too much like stockers. Nice that your son is liking the Bronco Ascender, best to each have your own truck and play follow the leader, switching off occasionally. When's his arrive and start the modifications?

Codyboy parts are good stuff, his original sliders are still working great on my first Blazer RTR! I've heard great things about those wheels, .225 hubs prolly good, if not LockedUpRC sells .185 hubs and then there are the Shifts variable offset hubs that utilize pin drive instead of separate hexes. Probably lol.

Nice, SSD D-Hole wheels look great on here, having two or more sets of beadlocks with different tires and/or wheels to swap out is great for different conditions and to just change the look of the truck. I use the Vaterra TSLs for comps, soak them in hot water and Simple Green for couple days and they are good...might not be quite as good as some tires, but they have pulled some amazing lines on mine.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Another tough day for the K10! We crawled in the rain and mud and rocks, had fun, no grip for anyone and it didn't seem to matter what tyres you had. Lotsa fun though!

Views: 462
Size:  193.6 KB
Old 09-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #218
RCC Addict

Slippery climb
Attached Images

Last edited by Yeti.stealth; 09-18-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Views: 434
Size:  103.4 KB
Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Sorry guys, I just cannot get multiple pics in 1 post using my phone, figured out how to resize em but!

Views: 479
Size:  150.2 KB

New Ascender Version Coming? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
Version 2. M1tch Formula Offroad 104 04-06-2013 12:45 PM
G-wagon version 2 ............. coming soon Scattman Florida 11 01-31-2011 05:40 AM
Is an RTR version Comp Crawler coming? tfrahm Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 07-27-2009 02:18 PM