Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender/Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ascender/Tribute

First off, I'm not great at doing build threads. I've tried a couple of times, but when I get to building I don't have time for pictures. Well, I'm gonna try to actually take pic's as I go for once, but I can't promise anything.

A few weeks back, while at the RC4WD challenge in Disney Oklahoma, I met Lucky87, and within 2 minutes he had me driving his new RTR Ascender Bronco around. It was love...with the Ascender not Lucky87
While at Disney I took a few quick pictures of Russ Hogan's old Bronco that he drives every day. Russ is red white and blue, true American and just one of those people that stands out in this world. During the ride home I was looking at the pictures on my phone and I decided I would try to build a tiny version of Russ's trusty ol' steed, and since I was going to buy a Ascender kit, this would be a good foundation for Russ's Bronco. After swaying back and forth on bodies, I decided to go with the Pro-Line Bronco that's been staring at me for quite a while now, and it really did need a home.
I'm not much of a fabricator, I build from scratch, but it's other peoples parts, so building bumpers, sliders and a roof rack is my big leap into actually doing more than modifying what's already there or buying something and just bolting it on. I'm starting out with a pretty much stock Ascender with a set of rear link risers. Also trying to come up with decent hidden body mounts. I think I've got the rear mount figured out, but still contemplating the front mount. I did get the battery relocated and the jest of the rear bumper is done. Also I've got a professional working on the decals. Still trying to locate wheels that look right. Looks like I may end up settling for something less than what I want in the wheel department.
Yes, the hoop in the bumper is whopper jawed. Look closely at the picture of the 1:1 bumper If anyone has any tips or advice, I'm all ears. I'd really like to build something that stands out and looks as close to the real thing as possible. Here's a few pic's of where I'm at so far, and of the big Bronco.
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ascender/Tribute

Nice start so far,looking good.Do you like the proline bronco body better than the vaterra one?Gcm makes a set of wheels similar to the ones on the fullsize.Kind of pricey though

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
avengernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengernut View Post
Nice start so far,looking good.Do you like the proline bronco body better than the vaterra one?Gcm makes a set of wheels similar to the ones on the fullsize.Kind of pricey though

My original plan was to use the Vaterra Bronco body,but imo it's even further from being correct than the Pro-Line version. Lacks a lot of detail, and looks overly boxy, and my abilities seem to favor a longer wheelbase.
I've been looking at the two wheels GCM have in stock for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking they must be waiting for me to buy something else so they can up the quantity the very next day. And I'm not overly impressed with the looks versus price for a set of six lug wheels that are going on an old Ford.
I hate to say it, but it's looking like I might end up buying a set of China wheels like I've got on my other Bronco. They aren't correct, but if I'm going to go with the wrong wheels, I might as well keep em cheap.

This is what I might end up with, but hope not. They look correct from 30 feet away
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have the bronco ascender an I don't like the way the wheel openings are made on it.I like the flared fenders on the proline because that is what most people put on them when they rusted out lol.Other bronco of yours looks great.What is the wheelbase on the proline body?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've got the Ascender at full length, 314 mm if I remember right, and it fits the wheel wells pretty good. The main non-scale part of the Pro-line body that sticks out is the distance from the back of the door to the fender flare. If you look at the 1:1 Bronco you'll see how close the door is to the flare. One problem I seem to run into with the Pro-Line body is the molded in bumpers. After a lot of trimming it's kind of close, but just never looks quite right.

Last edited by Jeepiac; 06-26-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Off to a great start and agree with you on the body/wb dimensions. Wheels are a dilemma, I'm in same boat as you none of the currently available really do it for me, hoping something new comes out. Like to see your Proline body so far.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks, Nate. I'm with you on wheels. I've spent an estimated 10 hours online looking at tiny wheels since planning this build. I've pretty much given up, and as of now I'll be going with Gear Head 12 Pack wheels. Nice looking wheel, but they have those dang bolts in the face that don't belong.
Gear Head RC 1.9 12-Pack EZ-Loc Wheels (4)

As for the body, I've still got a lot of trimming to do. I'll post up some pictures of what it looks like in the bumper areas where I went crazy with the Xacto knife.

Last edited by Jeepiac; 06-28-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What about the jconcept bronco body?I think it looks pretty close.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ive got the j concepts body and its huge from the door line back its a little long scale wise and the flares are an odd shape i cut them off and im making fender armour. also there is a blemish in the top on the left rear side from a bad mould it looks like some one jumped on a real roof. contacted a few with the same body and theve reported the same problem
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I haven't seen the J Concepts body in person, but in the pictures it looked a little off. The Pro-Line body has plenty of defects itself. Rear corners of the roof have folds and the left side rocker panel where it goes into the flare is paper thin. Exact same issues with my other Pro-Line bronco body. The Vaterra body I have is flawless. Wish it was proportioned a little bit better.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

In #1 best looking bronco body to worst.

# 1 Tamiya , unfortunately, too damn small of a wheel base.
# 2 Vaterra's body. But, yes. a bit wide

The other two mentioned in here don't deserve a rating, neither are close.

So, there really is no perfect body. But, close is good. And, I guess all are close. I was just spoiled with the Tamiya Bronco Body.

Sucks about Pro Lines new Full Size Bronco body. Same issues. Lines are off and not up to par at all.

I run the Vaterra Chevy body because it is at least close from a "scaler's" vision. lol
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What about the hpi version?I have one that the top has been cut off of it where it was on a tube frame.Thought about cutting it behind the doors an trying to shorten it.It is a little narrower than the vaterra body

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
In #1 best looking bronco body to worst.

# 1 Tamiya , unfortunately, too damn small of a wheel base.
# 2 Vaterra's body. But, yes. a bit wide

The other two mentioned in here don't deserve a rating, neither are close.

So, there really is no perfect body. But, close is good. And, I guess all are close. I was just spoiled with the Tamiya Bronco Body.

Sucks about Pro Lines new Full Size Bronco body. Same issues. Lines are off and not up to par at all.

I run the Vaterra Chevy body because it is at least close from a "scaler's" vision. lol
I can't pass up on an opportunity to start an argument
I have to disagree on the Ascender body due to the fact that so many of the body lines are either wrong or completely missing, not to mention the fact that the width versus length is way off, but it does come with a plastic grill insert
I do agree with the Tamiya body though. Been thinking about buying a MXT or whatever it's called just so I could put a Tamiya Bronco body on it.
The Pro-Line body has all the body lines and details it should have, but wheelbase is about 1/2" to long. Hell, they all have their flaws. Specially the new Pro-Line bronco. They really screwed the pooch with that abomination.
A lot of how scale and detailed a body is comes from the one whos painting and detailing it anyway. I've seen some nice bodies ruined and some crap bodies made to look awesome.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

What about the HPI Bronco body, this one is on my scx10?

RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Narrow the Vaterra grill and use it on the Proline body?

HPI body looks quite good, but they all have their short-comings.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
I can't pass up on an opportunity to start an argument
I have to disagree on the Ascender body due to the fact that so many of the body lines are either wrong or completely missing, not to mention the fact that the width versus length is way off, but it does come with a plastic grill insert
I do agree with the Tamiya body though. Been thinking about buying a MXT or whatever it's called just so I could put a Tamiya Bronco body on it.
The Pro-Line body has all the body lines and details it should have, but wheelbase is about 1/2" to long. Hell, they all have their flaws. Specially the new Pro-Line bronco. They really screwed the pooch with that abomination.
A lot of how scale and detailed a body is comes from the one whos painting and detailing it anyway. I've seen some nice bodies ruined and some crap bodies made to look awesome.
I agree with the Vaterra Bronco and the lines.. The fact that Vaterra didn't even spend the time to invert the tailgate is a mystery. hahahaa.. I still think it is better than the Pro Line and J Concepts..

Agree 100% on the new Pro Line Fullsize Body.. Finally, finally a Fullsize aside from the old Parma Body that was horrible, Pro line really crapped the bed on this. I was really looking forward to a Fullsize Bronco.

The HPI body was a looker as well. It is a decent detail of the Bronco body. Just wish it had a topper on it. My kid's using the HPI body on his G6, I have one that I need to get started on.

I think you mean the MST CMX Bronco? If so, yeah, I was looking into that but, wow, what a short wheelbase. LOL. Which is what the EB was. It's about the same wheelbase as the CC-01. The MST does allow wheelbase adjustment though.

Here's a cool link of a comparison between the SCX10, CC-01 and the MST.

Scale Crawler Showdown! MST CMX vs Tamiya CC-01 vs Axial SCX10 – rcMart Blog

And few of my old Broncos I used to run.

This one I really regret selling...
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I agree with the Vaterra Bronco and the lines.. The fact that Vaterra didn't even spend the time to invert the tailgate is a mystery. hahahaa.. I still think it is better than the Pro Line and J Concepts..

Agree 100% on the new Pro Line Fullsize Body.. Finally, finally a Fullsize aside from the old Parma Body that was horrible, Pro line really crapped the bed on this. I was really looking forward to a Fullsize Bronco.

The HPI body was a looker as well. It is a decent detail of the Bronco body. Just wish it had a topper on it. My kid's using the HPI body on his G6, I have one that I need to get started on. ...

X2, and that dark metallic blue Bronco was your best looking one.

EDIT: Your welded rear bumper looks pretty straight from here.

RCHuffer, nice use of the HPI Bronco body.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-30-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The HPI body was a looker as well. It is a decent detail of the Bronco body. Just wish it had a topper on it. My kid's using the HPI body on his G6, I have one that I need to get started on.

I think you mean the MST CMX Bronco? If so, yeah, I was looking into that but, wow, what a short wheelbase. LOL. Which is what the EB was. It's about the same wheelbase as the CC-01. The MST does allow wheelbase adjustment though.

Here's a cool link of a comparison between the SCX10, CC-01 and the MST.

Scale Crawler Showdown! MST CMX vs Tamiya CC-01 vs Axial SCX10 – rcMart Blog

And few of my old Broncos I used to run.

Those are all SWEET! Where did you get those chrome mirrors? I've searched and searched for those mirrors with no luck at all. A guy in our local club just
got a body this week that he had custom painted, and it has those mirrors on it. I contacted the guy that did all the work and he gave me a I don't know where they came from story through a chain of events, I've got 2 Vaterra Bronco bodies that I may try to put on both of my Sawbacks. Been thinking about a fleet of Broncos
Old 06-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looks like I'm going to have to take the front axle apart and switch over all its innards into this masterpiece Ernie Hooked me up with one of his axles, and he does an awesome job on these.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2, and that dark metallic blue Bronco was your best looking one.

EDIT: Your welded rear bumper looks pretty straight from here.

RCHuffer, nice use of the HPI Bronco body.

Whoops, error on my part. I still have the metallic blue Bronco body. It's on the shelf. lol. I switched to a Blazer body for a longer wheelbase.

The one I was referring to was the Blue Bronco above that one. That was my SCX10 that was killer. Went everywhere. Loved that rig, but, the 1.1 Bronco needed gears. lol

I think I am gonna shit the bed and pick that weak ass Pro Line Fullsize Bronco body, just to have a Bronco body with a long wheel base. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Those are all SWEET! Where did you get those chrome mirrors? I've searched and searched for those mirrors with no luck at all. A guy in our local club just
got a body this week that he had custom painted, and it has those mirrors on it. I contacted the guy that did all the work and he gave me a I don't know where they came from story through a chain of events, I've got 2 Vaterra Bronco bodies that I may try to put on both of my Sawbacks. Been thinking about a fleet of Broncos
Like the fleet of Bronco's idea!!! Was just saying I may pick up the new Pro Line Fullsize Bronco body for my Vaterra.. lol.

Those chrome mirrors came with my Tamiya Bronco body. They were included with the killer grill and headlight buckets.. Not sure if it is still all available, but, that's where I got mine.

Ascender/Tribute - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In tribute Jason817 Axial SCX-10 2 02-20-2015 01:49 AM
Tribute body! caci623 Paint and Body 13 09-24-2011 07:16 PM
Tribute Truggy derwood21 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 01-07-2010 01:19 PM
Hotness tribute vid hitman46mod Videos! 2 04-12-2008 01:26 PM