Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Got one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Got one.

Arrived today. Looked it over, took it to the porch pile and ran a pack (1600mAh) thru it completely stock. Got about 45 minutes! It was fun but kinda 'jumpy/bouncy'. Runs smooth and quiet though. This evening did the 'shock mod' and took it out again. BIG difference! No more jumpy/bouncy. There's some serious potential here. Gonna put my Futaba in it and do some tweaking. The only 1/10 crawlers I've run before are a coupla LCCs.

Pics?

Last edited by anuthabubba; 09-01-2016 at 02:12 AM.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Got one.

Welcome to the club !

Lots of great people on the Ascender channel, and a lot of knowledge.

Post a pic of your rig here: Ascender Photo Archive - No talking
northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuthabubba View Post
Arrived today. Looked it over, took it to the porch pile and ran a pack (1600mAh) thru it completely stock. Got about 45 minutes! It was fun but kinda 'jumpy/bouncy'. Runs smooth and quiet though. This evening did the 'shock mod' and took it out again. BIG difference! No more jumpy/bouncy. There's some serious potential here. Gonna put my Futaba in it and do some tweaking. The only 1/10 crawlers I've run before are a coupla LCCs.

Pics?

Hey Terry, glad to see your K10 finally came in!! I checked out your Micro Flintstone weights, now it's time for you to start adding some of that creativity to your yellow beast!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Arrived today. Looked it over, took it to the porch pile and ran a pack (1600mAh) thru it completely stock. Got about 45 minutes! It was fun but kinda 'jumpy/bouncy'. Runs smooth and quiet though. This evening did the 'shock mod' and took it out again. BIG difference! No more jumpy/bouncy. There's some serious potential here. Gonna put my Futaba in it and do some tweaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern hooligan View Post
Welcome to the club !

Lots of great people on the Ascender channel, and a lot of knowledge.

Post a pic of your rig here: Ascender Photo Archive - No talking
X2 and yes it's great out of the box, but has lots of potential to really shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Terry, glad to see your K10 finally came in!! I checked out your Micro Flintstone weights, now it's time for you to start adding some of that creativity to your yellow beast!
Ernie
Uh oh....lol....you know Ernie, our expectations just got higher. Looking for your Micro Flinstone weights...sounds familiar...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got the Futaba 4PL installed and functioning. Took re-reading the manual 'cause it has been so long that I fergot how to do it! After a test run on the porch pile, took the truck out to my favorite local spot, a big rubble pile. Might not look like much but this pile has some challenging stuff in it.

Everything is STEEP. The asphalt is grippy, the concrete can be and the gravel is NOT at all! Had a good time trying to remember some of the old lines I used to run with the LCC. Was a bit surprised at the difficulty of some of them. Had a great time and will head back out there after some adjustment on the braking of the factory ESC.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This bigazz bumper has got to go!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, I'm going to cut up the stock bumper and reattach the ends. What's your plan?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Been thinking about how to make a smaller , closer fitting one that'll fit on the factory mounting. Also some compact sliders.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Out to the rubble pile today after installing a stronger (300+ oz/in) servo. Got tired of the sluggish steering. First time I tried to steer up and out from between two blocks of concrete, the plastic arm stripped out! Back home where I robbed a metal clamping arm from another truck. This little truck just continues to impress.

Now shopping for some bead locks/tires and stuff for a sway bar. New body came in today but all I got was a card in the POB 'cause our small town PO counter is not 'manned' or 'womanned' on Saturdays.

Coupla pics from today.

From the bottom.

Zoomed in.

From the top.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Out to the rubble pile today after installing a stronger (300+ oz/in) servo. Got tired of the sluggish steering. First time I tried to steer up and out from between two blocks of concrete, the plastic arm stripped out! Back home where I robbed a metal clamping arm from another truck. This little truck just continues to impress.

Now shopping for some bead locks/tires and stuff for a sway bar. New body came in today but all I got was a card in the POB 'cause our small town PO counter is not 'manned' or 'womanned' on Saturdays.

Coupla pics from today.

From the bottom.

Zoomed in.

From the top.
My stock servo arm stripped on my first run, went to a alum one and no problem since.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Just got done 'bobbing' the bumper. Cut off those HUGE 'wings' and shortened the mounting posts by ~9mm. Should be able to put a tire on something now.

Pics coming.

Bumper bob

Bumper bob 2.

Photobucket can be a real hemorrhoid! Especially on my sloooow rural connection.
Finally got the pic to post!

Sharp eyed folks will note the front body mount holes were off center about an eighth of an inch and that the 'camouflage' for it is a coupla strips of 3M Super Tape each side.

Last edited by anuthabubba; 09-04-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Was needed.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yep. Works as advertised! There are far fewer incidents of dragging the bumper now. Even when it hits something, it doesn't hang up.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Spent about 3 hours last night messin' with the 'porch pile'. Did not get a whole lot done! Spent most of the time shuffling rocks back and forth, not being satisfied with the arrangements made. Did like one thing though. Added a forth row of vertical cinder blocks to the central elevated section. Hope to be able to have more than just one 'drive over' obstacle up there.

Last edited by anuthabubba; 09-05-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Had another good afternoon crawl at The Rubble Pile. There was one scary moment though when I tried to 'power up' and onto a concrete block near the top of the pile. "Missed it by ... that much", as Agent 86 would say. The result was a tumble all the way to ground level on the east side. The STEEP side, of course! Where they have removed the most material. At least it was dirt, sand and gravel vs chunks of concrete. Climbed down, flipped it over and everything checked out. No apparent damage to the truck so took it back to the top. Standard stuff. Almost every time my LCC tumbled down the west side, with all the concrete, it broke a CVD!

Realized I had not posted a pic of this side. Here it is. That is the Mississippi River levee in the background. Can hear the engines and see the search lights from the tow boats at night, pushing barges up and down The River, from here.

Last edited by anuthabubba; 09-05-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hey Terry, just a heads up, the brake weights that I use with the Codyboy Steering will not work the stock wheels. They don't have enough off-set. Do you have different wheels, and if so what kind, so I know how to turn the weights.
Ernie,

You can see what I'm talking about here.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-06-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Ernie, Payment and PMs sent.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Terry, axle is all done and will go in the mail in the morning.

Repurposing some wheel weight.

A little bit of steering. I test fitted everything with a spool in and all was smooth as butter.

Fitment in some external bead lock wheels.

And they look pretty good from the business side.

Thanks again, and enjoy!
Ernie
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Looks grrreat Ernie! Is that all the steering you could get out of it? Anxious to mount 'em up.

Stretched an rc4wd Irok 1.9 onto an old 2.2 Vanq SLW. Went on easy enough w/o foams. Four in a row might make me cuss.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Looks grrreat Ernie! Is that all the steering you could get out of it? Anxious to mount 'em up.

Stretched an rc4wd Irok 1.9 onto an old 2.2 Vanq SLW. Went on easy enough w/o foams. Four in a row might make me cuss.
Thanks Terry, I threw in a couple 5X11mm bearings and two 12mm hexes so I could just send it to you assembled, I should just start pricing them with those included. You will probably need to put a little bend in the tie rod link so it clears the pumpkin at full lock to lock.
I thought about trying some rubber unis to get more steering but they might be not work!!!
Ernie

On the IRoks I put a little dawn dish soap and water on the bead. I use a Q-tip, it helps the bead slide into the ring.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-06-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks Terry, axle is all done and will go in the mail in the morning.

Repurposing some wheel weight.

A little bit of steering. I test fitted everything with a spool in and all was smooth as butter.

Thanks again, and enjoy!
Ernie
Oooooooohhhhh. I love the axles. Whats the price on something like that?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote