Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Asceder on its way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Asceder on its way

CODYBOY STRIKES AGAIN
Name:  2016-11-18 23.37.47.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  78.2 KB

Pulled apart the front and and put in some shiny new axles!! I did have a Ahh ha moment...I realized when I built the kit I put the shims behind the pinion, not on the ring gear...if then we're bigger (or smaller) they would work there but they are the exact size of the bearing seal...so they don't push against anything. Def a hand slap forehead moment. Long story short, shims are in the correct place now. Hopefully I get a Chance today or tomorrow to try things out!
Name:  2016-11-18 23.38.36.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  97.6 KB

I'm going to sell the spektrum radio and rx, buy a flysky gt3c and a hack kit for that this will let me keep my gt3b radio as an extra so others can drive the second car, but ill have the 8 channel option with the nicer radio. I'll let you guys know how that goes ;)

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
CODYBOY STRIKES AGAIN
Attachment 351390

Pulled apart the front and and put in some shiny new axles!! I did have a Ahh ha moment...I realized when I built the kit I put the shims behind the pinion, not on the ring gear...if then we're bigger (or smaller) they would work there but they are the exact size of the bearing seal...so they don't push against anything. Def a hand slap forehead moment. Long story short, shims are in the correct place now. Hopefully I get a Chance today or tomorrow to try things out!
Attachment 351392

I'm going to sell the spektrum radio and rx, buy a flysky gt3c and a hack kit for that this will let me keep my gt3b radio as an extra so others can drive the second car, but ill have the 8 channel option with the nicer radio. I'll let you guys know how that goes ;)

Cheers!

They look nice Chris! I have 2 gt3c radios and for the money you can't buy a better radio! (I have a 4PL that just sits on the shelf, I should just sell it)!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
They look nice Chris! I have 2 gt3c radios and for the money you can't buy a better radio! (I have a 4PL that just sits on the shelf, I should just sell it)!
Are your radios hacked? I like the idea of being able to customize everything, and I guess the hacked software is better for a number of other reasons. I'm going to give it a shot...but I've got a bit of a computer geek streak also haha!

Old 11-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Chris81;5591965]Are your radios hacked? I like the idea of being able to customize everything, and I guess the hacked software is better for a number of other reasons. I'm going to give it a shot...but I've got a bit of a computer geek streak also haha!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
They are both hacked, by my wife!! I had done the soldering, but was having trouble getting the program to talked to my radio, so asked her If she could take a look at it. I went out to the shop to check on something and when I came back in she had completed the hacked!!!!
Ernie
Old 11-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Whelp...first rc induced ER visit...stupid x-acto knives...some free advice...always put the blade in a handle!

Old 11-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Lol...I've been there for far worse...I gotta keep some super glue around, if I'd had that I could have fixed it myself.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Back to work tonight with a tender left thumb lol...re-built all 4 shocks, almost all the oil had leaked out so it was a good time to put some internal limiters in. I used the bump stops which are 5mm. I'll start there and see how it goes. Looks pretty good at this height I think...shocks are now 100mm eye to eye.
ATTACH]351484[/ATTACH]

Attached Images

Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Finally got a chance to test out my recent mods, the big one codyboy tubes in the front axle!! And also internal shock reduction of 5mm. I didn't have high hopes of seeing huge changes since it's 30 degrees out and it's damp from the little snow we hot a couple days ago. Let's say I was very happy. Today my rig preformed better than it ever has even in less than ideal conditions, CG was noticeably lower, truck was more stable, the extra weight up front seemed to help, seems to just drag itself over everything!! So hats off to Ernie and his sweet sweet axels!!!

Couple pics of today's outing during my daughters nap time ;p
Name:  2016-11-23 15.17.02.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  116.5 KB
Name:  2016-11-23 15.17.38.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  98.6 KB

Old 11-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Gt3c is finally in, just waiting on the hack kit to hack the radio. I've got a couple items I'm going to attempt to fab as well, the first are new rear upper link mounts.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Got my eBay light kit in today, cheep but seems to work, plugged it in real quick, does the left right blinkers, reverse light etc. I think it was $10 so can't go wrong there. It also has flashing options or all lights on options. The flashing is so fast and random between all the lights I think it might cause siezures!! Needless to say I won't be using that setting. Now I guess I have to figure out rear light buckets. I see there are some for sale...but I'm thinking I can make some. What have you all used for rear light buckets??

Old 12-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Been thinking more about light buckets...kinda sad sounding....anyway LokisTyro had a great idea of using Legos....so I went and dug around and found a few and discovered the technic line of bricks (the ones with the holes) have exactly 5mm holes, and guess what size my lights are? !?! You got it, 5mm !! (Some are 3mm too...but that's not a problem) So 5 minutes with a blade and this is what I came up with, I Will clean them up paint the inside silver. I should be able to glue these into the corner at a 45 and have light comming out the back and side of the lights. Lights are very snug, doubt if I will glue them it's so tight.
Name:  2016-12-04 21.32.55.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  14.5 KB
I'll do this for the bronco too, should be easier since that doesn't have wrap around lights. My next task is how to wi re this up and avoid a giant rats nest under my lid!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Had a shitty day at work...so took the blazer out in the snow....pretty limited with where I can drive it now...gonna be a long winter...its also going to be hard for me to evaluate changes I make to the truck over the winter...Ill have to try and remember back 5 months next spring when i can drive it on solid ground and rock again. Maybe i need a snowcat for the winter months hmmmmm.... figure some tinkering and a couple beers would remedy the shitty work day soooo, I decided to cut some stuff up! That should make things better right?!?! I put a coat of paint on the light holders I made (legos), ground off the paint from the back of the rear lights (I realized I shouldn't have painted those before the paint was dry) I left the stickers on for now. What have you guys used for your rear lights? LED'S through the stickers? Paint the lights on the body...red tape...Bicycle reflectors??? What's the magic home brew?

Paint is taking a while to dry in the cold basement...

On to the cutting! I've been meaning to trim my front bumper and decided today was the day (saw this in Natedog build) It's pretty straight forward just cut along the moulding lines on the back of the bumper, I used a dremel tool on low speed and a cutting wheel. Seems plenty strong with the material cut out. My only hope is that this doesn't weaken the mounting holes I went a little closer than I should have. I will probably leave a little more around that area on the bronco and use masking tape for a cutting guide to get the angles even on both sides when I do the second one. Here are a couple pics with the trimmed bumper and the Virgin bumper together.
Name:  2016-12-07 21.58.40.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  37.1 KB
Name:  2016-12-07 21.59.59.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  51.5 KB
Note - those bumpers ARE the same width...just a funny camera angle. I even went and measured them because the pic looks so funny!
Name:  2016-12-07 22.03.24.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  80.2 KB

Cheers!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Nice job Chris, DIY mod are always so nice because they don't cost anything!
Ernie
Old 12-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Diggin the light bucket idea.... I gave all my legos away about 25 years ago shoulda kept them
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Diggin the light bucket idea.... I gave all my legos away about 25 years ago shoulda kept them
I look through my lego box all the time when I'm R&Ding bodies. I used a lot of different sizes when I was building my scale garage and some of scale things in it! Again, great job Chris, can you take pics of the light buckets?
Ernie
Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

I'll get some pics up tonight. What's the best glue for sticking inside lexan bodies? E6000? Show gooo....some other magic?

Old 12-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
I'll get some pics up tonight. What's the best glue for sticking inside lexan bodies? E6000? Show gooo....some other magic?

I like the E6000.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Had a chance to tinker tonight. I wasn't thrilled with rear lights behind stickers, didn't think painting the lights on the body would be a good idea and didn't want to pay 15 or 20 for a couple little pieces of plastic...I thought maybe if I could find some red plastic I could make my own....there is not a lot of red opaque plastic around my house, but I finally dug up a cheapo flashlight that had a setting that would light up the handle....and it was red! Next problem was how to mould it...no torch, no heat gun...wife was home so the oven is not an option, so I found some lighters and went to town.
Forgot t take a pic before it was cut up...but you get the idea
Name:  2016-12-09 22.07.58.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  30.9 KB

After much heating, bending, and grinding with a dremel with a sanding wheel this is what I came up with...not to bad actually...
Name:  2016-12-09 22.18.50.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  30.1 KB
Lens with lego LED bucket that will go in next
Attachment 1
I figured I had three options, glue them to the outside, glue them inside and not cut out the lights or glue them inside and cut the lexan out. I went with the last option, these arnt uniform enough to be on the outside and they are kinda thick, and it didn't look right with the lexan over them...I think it worked out ok. I'll probably paint a very thin silver piece of trim around the edge.
Name:  2016-12-09 22.11.07.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  47.8 KB
With a white light behind it, the LED that will go in the truck is red so it should look even better
Name:  2016-12-09 22.10.29.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  35.3 KB
Whole rear end...for those of you who mtn bike check out my new bumper sticker!!
Name:  2016-12-09 22.09.52.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  81.6 KB

Attached Images

Old 12-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Glued in the LED holders today, and also stuck a bunch of tabs along the inside of the body where the lights will run so I have anchors for zip ties....the further along with the lights I get the more mixed my feelings are about them...it's going to add that much more weight on an already heavy body. Ohh well they can always come out! I think I'll use the plastic box my servo came in to house the light controller since it's not waterproof, I should be able to run all the wires through one hole and seal it up so it's atleast water resistant.
Legos mounted!
Name:  2016-12-12 21.50.57.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  62.1 KB
Light test
Name:  2016-12-12 21.51.29.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  42.3 KB

Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Next is a rocket launcher from a beer can, Bic lighter and some paperclips ;p

Asceder on its way - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Vs Asceder Blazer Kit (a comparison as I build) Bry73 Axial SCX10 II 11 06-21-2016 10:39 AM