Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Asceder on its way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Asceder on its way

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Finally got around to flashing my radio, went well no problems. Haven't had time to start customizing the sttings/channels. Been busy with winter, our barn collapsed in Feb...with my wife's car inside....soooo that kept us busy, getting that straightened out. Will be some good bad luck though, I'll be able to replace it with a 3 car garage closer to the house which gets me out of the basement. My wife is worried I will just live out there lol! ...she probably has good reason to worry...

Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Finally got around to flashing my radio, went well no problems. Haven't had time to start customizing the sttings/channels. Been busy with winter, our barn collapsed in Feb...with my wife's car inside....soooo that kept us busy, getting that straightened out. Will be some good bad luck though, I'll be able to replace it with a 3 car garage closer to the house which gets me out of the basement. My wife is worried I will just live out there lol! ...she probably has good reason to worry...

I spend a average of 5-6 hours a day in mine.
One of the advantages of being retired.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Got a package in the mail today...one of the best kind...the kind from Oregon...yeah you guys know what I'm talking about! Codyboy goodies!!! Ordered up some rear axles for both my rigs, figured they should have something new for spring. I know these have been covered everywhere but incase your new or forgot the Codyboy rear axles weigh in at 88g vs the stock axels which were 28g. They utilize the existing plastic housing so it's a straight drop in.

I also moved my rear shocks out at the bottoms. Concensus seem to be that the combination or outboarding and new RUL mostly take care of the torque twist. Figure I'll try it. If I can loose the swaybar and reduce some suspension parts, awesome.

I may re-make some RUL brackets though, I noticed while putting this all back together my rear axle is tilted forward a bit more than it needs to be...so one more thing to add to the list of things to do haha. Anyway, rain and warm weather on its way finally so maybe I can find some dirt soon!!
Cheers!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Congrats man! You're gonna love them. Both my Ascenders just got CODYBOY's front and rear. Haven't had a chance to run them yet and I'm itching to get out so bad!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Could you maybe lengthen the rear upper links to clock that axle? Seems that might be easier than remaking something.

Haha Oregon packages make me smile also
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Codyboy axles! Stock rear upper link mount on the axle maybe tweaked forward a bit STRC aluminum mounts are nice or can put couple millimeters of u spacers rear upper links.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Congrats man! You're gonna love them. Both my Ascenders just got CODYBOY's front and rear. Haven't had a chance to run them yet and I'm itching to get out so bad!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm looking forward to them!! When I put the front axle on last year I was amazed with the difference in crawling capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Could you maybe lengthen the rear upper links to clock that axle? Seems that might be easier than remaking something.

Haha Oregon packages make me smile also
Haha...that would be a lot easier wouldn't it!! Thanks for setting me straight lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very nice Codyboy axles! Stock rear upper link mount on the axle maybe tweaked forward a bit STRC aluminum mounts are nice or can put couple millimeters of u spacers rear upper links.
Yeah I've been looking at those mounts, they are looking pretty good on your rig! Unless I break mine first, my next change will probably be Al front chubs and probably the rear as well (I over tightened one of the rear screws and cracked one side..oops)

Thanks for the input and ideas everyone!! Cheers!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Still snow on the ground biut it's melting fast!! I got impatient today and finally painted my fenders, quick and dirty job but they are fenders and catch mud right?? Waited long enough for the paint to be mostly dry and threw those back in...big improvement on the looks...for anyone who missed the earlier post I made the fenders out of 2 plastic cascade dish washer tubs.

I also took everyone's wise advice and threw a couple spacers in the RUL which helped fix the forward cant of the rear axle. Speaking of which...new codyboy axle, all installed and ready for some crawling...once the snow melts...as I mentioned earlier I'll be building a new garage this summer so I'll have a buddies excavator over here and be doing lots of earth work...might see what I can do for a crawling course while I'm at it...it's Maine so there will be no shortage of rocks. Hope the easter bunny treats everyone good this year lol. Cheers!Name:  2017-04-11 21.21.06.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  81.7 KBName:  2017-04-11 21.22.14.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  123.2 KBName:  2017-04-11 21.21.51.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  103.9 KBName:  2017-04-11 21.23.00.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  92.7 KBName:  2017-04-11 21.30.02.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  54.6 KB

Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Snow has finally melted back enough that today I was able to find some places to crawl. Lots of changes over the winter, new SSD wheels, added some home made tuning foams on the outside of my CI foams just to fill out a little empty space, fenders, codyboy rear axle to match the front, light kit, homebrew RUL plate, outboarded rear shocks, removed the swaybar that I installed in january...so never used. So yeah lots of changes...who the hell knows what did what (I'm sure codyboy will tell you what made thee most improvement ;) )....but it's better now then it was last fall...like...a lot better. It's like an angry cat on a shag carpet, it just sticks. So I'm pretty happy with performance. Took a couple pics today while I was outside. Hope everyone has a nice easter weekend! Cheers

The dangers of spring driving...SNOW BRIDGE COLLAPSE!!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Nice! Can't remember how far away you live but you should get together with us next time we crawl. We had a blast at Reid state park last weekend. I'm loving having some other ascenders to crawl with. Especially ones with such nice upgrades. My primary 1.55 jimmy is coming along. Probably another month or so until it's running but I can't wait to get that out on the rocks.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Nice! Can't remember how far away you live but you should get together with us next time we crawl. We had a blast at Reid state park last weekend. I'm loving having some other ascenders to crawl with. Especially ones with such nice upgrades. My primary 1.55 jimmy is coming along. Probably another month or so until it's running but I can't wait to get that out on the rocks.
Ben
Yeah I saw the pics, looked great. I'm up in farmington so a little ways away, but I would love to get down and play on some rock slabs, would be a fun change. I'll have to see what I can do around my 2 yr old, my wife, building a garage this summer...you know...life.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Been on vacation this week, I've managed to get the rigs out for a couple hours each day which has been fun. I've been consistantly surprised at both performance and durability of both rigs. I'll get some pics of the vacation crawl spots in a bit.

In the mean time I've got a question for you guys, is there a reason to go with one brand over another for aluminium axel upgrades?? (Vaterra vs SSD....or any others that I should look at?)
Cheers!

Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #94
RCC Addict

If you're talking aluminum knuckles, c-hubs and rear lockouts, I'd go vaterra because they'll take the brass brake weights with no machining. But, it's a different story if you decide you want the Codyboy set up for weight. Just have him send you a package in the mail and you'll have all the weight you could ever need.

I personally like the look of the ssd knuckles and c-hubs, but was disappointed in their fit. Too sloppy in the ball joint area for how much they cost. That was with new "ball joints" from vaterra too. I have them both and would buy the vaterra ones again. Plus I'm sour that ssd won't machine the vaterra c-hubs to accept brass weights, be it the vaterra ones or their own, but made the same exact c-huh for the scx-10ii and they are machined for brake rotors. Makes it obvious that they don't care for the vaterra crowd as much as the axial lovers.

Ben

Last edited by Itali83; 08-17-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Rant
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Ok thanks for the info, certainly don't need sloppy parts in the front end! I've already got reg codyboy axles so I've already got more than stock weight. Once I finish my garage I'm going to start looking into some basic machining tools...then maybe I can make some of my own brake weights

Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Some vacation shots, fun to get out on some new terrain, lots of "wow" climbs...and "ouch" tumbles, good week and nothing broken!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you're talking aluminum knuckles, c-hubs and rear lockouts, I'd go vaterra because they'll take the brass brake weights with no machining. But, it's a different story if you decide you want the Codyboy set up for weight. Just have him send you a package in the mail and you'll have all the weight you could ever need.

I personally like the look of the ssd knuckles and c-hubs, but was disappointed in their fit. Too sloppy in the ball joint area for how much they cost. That was with new "ball joints" from vaterra too. I have them both and would buy the vaterra ones again. Plus I'm sour that ssd won't machine the vaterra c-hubs to accept brass weights, be it the vaterra ones or their own, but made the same exact c-huh for the scx-10ii and they are machined for brake rotors. Makes it obvious that they don't care for the vaterra crowd as much as the axial lovers.

Ben
Precisely!

Vacation pics looks like a great spot to swim and crawl!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

very cool spot there, it seems well planted on some of those angles
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! I was impressed myself, I think putting the swaybar back on might help sidhilling a bit more too. I took it off as I thought the TT wasn't too bad with the new RUL mounting loc and shocks outboarded, but I think it's going back on. After this week I think it's time for a rebuild, got some squeaks, clicks and other funny sounds happening. Probably better to be proactive and take care of those now. I'll let you guys know what I find!

Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Ben
bummer about the SSD stuff. I have a set of their knuckles on my Yeti, not machined for brake rotors on there either. strange, as they are marketed as "scale" knuckles.

Chris81 nice rig you got going here!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Asceder on its way - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Vs Asceder Blazer Kit (a comparison as I build) Bry73 Axial SCX10 II 11 06-21-2016 10:39 AM