Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My little Jimmy... lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #101

Default Re: My little Jimmy... lol

This truck is so awesome!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This truck is so awesome!
Thanks man!

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome!! You need to build a scale plow to go on it In The winter months.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #104

I need to go back through and read this thread. I think I "need" a leaf sprung Ascender.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Quote:
I need to go back through and read this thread. I think I "need" a leaf sprung Ascender.

Thanks man. They're a blast, having both linked and leafed ascenders I really like this truck. I'll try to update the missing photos as I have time but in the mean time if you have any questions or want pictures, feel free to ask here or pm me. I love this truck.

Ben
Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Thanks man. They're a blast, having both linked and leafed ascenders I really like this truck. I'll try to update the missing photos as I have time but in the mean time if you have any questions or want pictures, feel free to ask here or pm me. I love this truck.

Ben
Thanks, man!

Do you have one that's leafed in the rear and linked in the front?

I know people have done that, but I'm not sure I've seen a build thread on it yet.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks, man!

Do you have one that's leafed in the rear and linked in the front?

I know people have done that, but I'm not sure I've seen a build thread on it yet.
Yup, I sold it but have a build thread with missing pictures but still have them on my phone. Have a video of it too. I built it reall heavy but it ran very nice. I liked the set up, but would build a different body for it. It had the J concepts Ford pickup body. Even bigger than blazer body lol. Look up my thread half leafed for ascender mashup I think it was. No pictures because of photobucket but you'll get the idea. I can send you pics of that one too.

Ben
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #108
RCC Addict

Here's some pictures throughout the build. I can't figure out how to edit old posts with tapatalk so that's why there here at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #109

Holy heck that's a ton of turning! How did you get that? I like the front motor, but I also love my battery up front.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Quote:
Holy heck that's a ton of turning! How did you get that? I like the front motor, but I also love my battery up front.
I got that much turning from copying codyboy's design. With many questions, mix of axial wraith axle shafts, wraith knuckles, ascender C-hubs, tamiya king pins, several bearing spacers, axial hex's, lots of filing, even more swearing, I ended up with that much non binding steering angle. It is nice to have and if I had comps around it'd probably be worth several reverse points but I won't do it again because for where I run, I just don't need it and it was a MAJOR pain in the butt.

I love the motor up front, I had to put the battery out back but it's so low and I run small 3s packs so they're light and I'm so front heavy with this truck I think I actually needed it out back for a little down hill ballast.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:45 AM   #111
RCC Addict

Got the truck out for a little fun yesterday. Lots of open granite in the pit across the street from me. Sadly they're blasting and processing it and this will probably be the last time this rock will be there as it was already drilled waiting for explosives. Oh well. Was a beautiful day in the 70's which is unheard of in Maine for this time of year so I had to get out and enjoy it.

I'm loving these 1.55" rock beasts. They just grip and go. If I can get my rear anchor, I mean bumper over an obstacle, this this just climbs and climbs. They clean out well even at slow speeds which is nice because with the leafs, this truck isn't a high wheel speed throttle it out kind of truck. Only took two pictures and a short video but figured I'd put them up. The video doesn't really capture the actual steepness of the rock and it's off camber a bit too but you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/v-IFvbGIrBQ

Old 07-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Got it out in the wild for a little bit today. Put the lil’rock beasts back in and think they’ll stay on this truck. I just think hey fit the style of this truck and look great.

Ben

Old 07-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Made up some wiper arms and blades.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #114
RCC Addict

This truck has been on the shelf way too long! I’ve been getting the itch to run it but have been building more trucks so I get excited and want to test the new ones out first. So my older ones get pushed back and sit. I’ve got a problem guys lol.

Anyway I took it out for a short run in the quarry by my house. Really enjoyed the lack of ground clearance, the anchor of a rear bumper and limited suspension travel. Love the scale of this truck. On my post trip inspection, I noticed I had cracked the rear driveshaft cv joint thingy. It’s more probably because this truck gets massive axle wrap with the delrin leafs than abuse because this is totally NOT a throttle it out kind of truck.

I mostly want to toot my own horn about the repair I was able to do. I must have put too much loctite on the pinion bolt and couldn’t get it out before stripping the hex of it. I drilled out the head and got everything apart but now had a junk input shaft because of the threads being stuck and flush with the end. This driveshaft end is $20 compared to the $10 of the transmission side. I’ve been buying the $10 ones for spares because only the ball side and pin really wear, not really the cup, plus the cup has 4 holes in it so you get two sets of holes to wear out before the cup is junk.

So, I had nothing to loose so I turned the cup so that the cup was facing me, you can see the end of the bolt from there. Took a 3/32 still bit and drilled it out. I got it perfectly centered, was able to grab the end of the last thread and wind it out. Here’s the proof!...

Hopefully I’ll get out this weekend with it with some friends. I was able to adjust the pinion angle a bit to hopefully help with stress on the joint.

Ben

Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, dang good job with the drill and threads removal! Any pics of the completed repair with the other driveshaft end installed?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Thanks Nate! Here’s a picture of the finished produce installed and the new static pinion angle. It’s basically level but when driving/climbing, the pinion rises and the angle is very straight with driveshaft.

Hopefully these pictures will clear up my rambling and may even save you guys who still use the Vaterra driveshafts a few bucks.

Disclaimer(I’m going to call these u-joints. I know they’re not u-joints. They’re not cv joints either. Not sure what they’re called so I’m calling them u-joints)

The u-joint assembly on top is the one meant for the transmission end. The one on bottom in the input shaft for the rear ends. The bottom one is twice the price of the top one. The ball end (piece that broke and is on bottom right) is in my experience, the only piece to wear or break (other than the pin of course). So I only buy the top u-joint assembly, take it apart, use the fresh ball end, a new hardened pin and put it in my used input shaft side. Capisci?

Also, this brings up a question for you other ascender hoarders, are you guys stocking up on spare parts and wear items for the inevitable complete discontinuation of parts? I’m seeing more parts discontinued from horizons site and no matter what is said here and there, think that the ascender is going to get axed at some point. I just made an order to stock up on u-joints, and axle housings, I’d like to stock up on gears and maybe even another set of 2speed gears too. Links, frame rails, bearings, I’m obviously not worried about so much. And things like knuckles I’m not worried about either. I may try to get another set of shocks. I see they’re discontinued on horizons site too now.

Ben

Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome Ben, thanks for the pics it's how I thought it was. Capisci and great idea!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #118
RCC Addict

This truck is still alive. Had a few minutes to get out and I decided to go to the quarry across the street to explore a little. They are blasting regularly so the terrain changes often. I still enjoy this truck but time is very busy lately. Hopefully I’m going to get out next weekend with a friend. Thinking this truck may be the one to use.
Also snagged a shot of my little jimmy with my big suburban.
Ben

Old 08-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
This truck is still alive. Had a few minutes to get out and I decided to go to the quarry across the street to explore a little. They are blasting regularly so the terrain changes often. I still enjoy this truck but time is very busy lately. Hopefully I’m going to get out next weekend with a friend. Thinking this truck may be the one to use.
Also snagged a shot of my little jimmy with my big suburban.
Ben

Good morning Ben, It has been a while. It is nice to see you out playing again! The Jimmy is looking good as always. I always enjoy your posts!
It has been a wild 6 months for us, Cancer treatment has been successful again and I'm starting to feel like my old self again!! I haven't felt like doing much with my RC stuff while under treatment but hoping to start turning a wrench on them a little very soon. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Digging your low slung leaf spring Ascender.

Any plans for a traction bar to eliminate the axle wrap?

I think it's great that you've managed to keep your first truck alive in rust prone new England.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

My little Jimmy... lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't Touch My Jimmy: GMC Jimmy build by CFM CarterFab Vaterra Ascender 31 11-01-2015 12:33 AM
Jimmy-Yeti jrkilburn Axial Yeti 2 08-29-2014 06:36 PM
Jimmy Fallon hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 1 06-10-2014 10:56 AM
can Jimmy do it THIS time? emaxxjeremy Chit Chat 3 11-18-2006 12:28 PM
Wheel Chinamans..lol had Carnage..lol UPNOVER General Crawlers 0 02-27-2006 08:03 AM