Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My little Jimmy... lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My little Jimmy... lol

So this year for my birthday, I got another ascender!!!! This time it's a kit version so I can build it my way right from the get go. This is going to be a super super slow build as funds are very tight and I plan to keep only the frame rails and body stock.

I'm going to build this loosely based on my first vehicle, a 1987 GMC Jimmy.
I'm going to do leaf springs all around, looking at the delrin ones that Guiseppe makes in Italy. Going to try and make my own forward motor mounts to mount the transmission motor side down for lowest COG possibly. Convert to 2 speed tranny. Going to get a 2:1 transfer case for stupid low gearing. (I really like the slow scale technical crawling up steep open faces of rock/ledge/granite.) I'm planning on at least a holmes hobby motor and hopefully esc just so I can experience high end electronics. Planning to run 4S so I can still get some speed but really enjoy buttery smooth low end with the gearing and motor.

Going with 1.55's on this one too, I don't want to cut the body up and just want the looks of the 31x10.5" BFG's I had on my real truck. Going to have the truck sit low so it'll climb and side hill like a mountain goat and probably curse it all the time when I can't get up on things because of bumpers hitting/dragging on everything but then loving it when it climbs like crazy! (hopefully) lol

I'm going to make another one of my GMC Jimmy grills for this truck so it'll be a Jimmy from the get go, hence the silly title for this thread.
Still working on my own beef tubes for my current truck as well as this one.

Again, it's going to be a slow ride but hopefully I'll get it all together and have a nice scale looking truck that still performs great on the rocks.

Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My little Jimmy... lol

Sounds awesome, happy birthday too! Love the old New England Patriots stool too
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Finally got some parts in and some time to start building my new Jimmy. Got some sweet delrin springs from Italy, transfer case from Italy as well, same one as Nightrider is using in his jeep build. Mine is 1.12:1 reduction, I'm planning on running the rear axle straight through the case so the front axle with actually be overdriven .89:1. Not much but I want every little advantage I can since I'm running 1.55's.

Everything is just in mock up stage so I know there's only one bolt holding the frame together etc etc.

I like that it'll have a smooth belly, I'll be able to clock the axles for pinion angle and c-hubs for caster. I'm going to be making my own brass tube axles and am thinking of offsetting the front axle like the real trucks.

I'm going to extend the frame on both ends to do away with the plastic extensions for the bumper mounts and also to give me my other mounting bolt for the rear spring hangers. I hate that I'm running the shackle on the front of the front axle but without extending the frame above the axle it can't be done at th ride height I want so that's the way it goes.

I'm in the process of making my front motor mount and will hopefullynhave pics of that soon. I built the transmission with the 2 speed parts. Going to gear this down as much as possible for super slow crawling control. Planning on running a Holmes 5slot crawlmaster motor and not sure of what esc yet but want the option of 4s power. That's it for now, onto the pictures...

Last edited by Itali83; 10-19-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Wow an update!! good to hear you on the path to righteousness at last.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Awesome plans and off to a great start, that little bit of front axle OD via tcase will work great!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've got a lot done this week. Got my custom front motor mounts made up. It's as far forward as possible leaving room for the steering servo. I'm running the servo sideways because the crossmember for the sideways mount doesn't let the motor and tranny to be that far forward. I was really contemplating Moving the servo elsewhere and using linkage and pivots but decided against it for the sake of stress and enjoyment. Plus, I can't move the motor much more forward without doing away with the shock towers which then leads to different motor mounts, different shock mounts, different body mounts so I didn't think it was worth it.

I've got the transfer case where I need it, It'd a few MM's back from where the tranny would sit stock because the driveshaft angle from tranny to transfer case was just too steep. It's steep now but with the shortened stock shafts and gunnar pinned cv's, it's good. Everything lines up on both front shafts and angles are good.

Now for the front axle, you'll see something isn't quite right, yes, it's an offset diff ascender axle. I'm just in mock up stage and will be making brass tubes later on but want to get everything fit and working before I start machining axle tubes. I needed to offset it because the motor hangs down so low that I hardly had any suspension travel. The springs are set up to same extended height that I have my #1 truck's shocks with the limiting mod, actually it's 3mm lower, as in less extended. If you look close, the axle is in upside down too to have the shape of the diff working to my advantage to hug the motor, this works because I'm over driving the front axle through the transfer case which means the front and rear driveshafts are spinning opposite directions. Plus, its the side the real trucks are offset to as well.

I got a set of pitbull 1.55 growlers but am dissapointed with their size. They are literally just a hair shorter than the vaterra tsl's on my other truck. I was looking for a smaller tire for more of a stock truck with like 31" or 33" tires. So I may look for another tire that grips well but is shorter for a more stockish look.

Here's the pictures for your enjoyment....

Old 10-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Super awsome, love how the motor sits so low!! ! I would love to see some pics of the custom mounts by theselves. also just my 2 cents/ thinking outloud, but looking at your pics it looks like if your transmission were tilted back a few degrees (I think the same amount your transfer case is tilted up) it would decrease your output shafts angles, and from your pics looks like it might also give you slightly more motor clearance under your motor/over your axle.

I think in the future I'd like to do the front MM too at some point, but I have plenty of other to-dos first!!

Cheers!
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Super awsome, love how the motor sits so low!! ! I would love to see some pics of the custom mounts by theselves. also just my 2 cents/ thinking outloud, but looking at your pics it looks like if your transmission were tilted back a few degrees (I think the same amount your transfer case is tilted up) it would decrease your output shafts angles, and from your pics looks like it might also give you slightly more motor clearance under your motor/over your axle.

I think in the future I'd like to do the front MM too at some point, but I have plenty of other to-dos first!!

Cheers!
I tried tilting the motor down at the rear but the driveshaft hits the pinion end of the motor if it's tilted at all. I had to grind the motor plate completely flush with the motor to prevent that now. I measured travel compared to my stock suspension blazer and I've actually got more up travel now than the stock setup does. Which means when I do shocks, if I use the stock ones without the springs, I'll have to move the top mount up a bit to take advantage of that travel.
I didn't want to drop the transfer case because I wanted the flat bottom frame especially if I go with shorter tires for ground clearance issues. But, even with the front of the transfer up a bit, the front driveshaft to axle cv angles are not bad at all.
I'll be taking everything apart again and can take some good pictures of the mount for ya. I'm hoping this thing handles ok. Really looking for a good climber and side hiller, not so much for ground clearance. I like climbing open ledge and granite faces and side hilling so hopefully this will fit the bill. My other ascender is really good at it with how I've got it set up too. Thanks!

P.S. If you zoom in on the third picture you can see the lip of the motor plate and where I ground it flush with the motor to prevent driveshaft rub.
Ben
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Wow, I was just looking through you pics again, so much I'm looking forward to hearing about, climbing ability, leaf spring performance, side Hillingdon etc. Really nice job with the design and keeping the motor low, a lot of front MM set ups I've see have the motor really high. Next time I'm in portland I may have to check this out!!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

thank you! I'm trying to stay one step ahead of everything and doing a lot of eyeball engineering for sure. I will definitely be keeping everyone updated on the progress and ability. I'm in a rut at the moment saving for parts to build and fabricate the front axle so it may be a bit before any major advancements. Thanks for everyone's interest!
Ben
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
X2, very nicely done with very low motor, I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I tried tilting the motor down at the rear but the driveshaft hits the pinion end of the motor if it's tilted at all. I had to grind the motor plate completely flush with the motor to prevent that now. I measured travel compared to my stock suspension blazer and I've actually got more up travel now than the stock setup does. Which means when I do shocks, if I use the stock ones without the springs, I'll have to move the top mount up a bit to take advantage of that travel.

I'm hoping this thing handles ok. Really looking for a good climber and side hiller, not so much for ground clearance.

P.S. If you zoom in on the third picture you can see the lip of the motor plate and where I ground it flush with the motor to prevent driveshaft rub.
Ben
Good info, I see that in your pictures how you ground the motor plate.

G-Made steel driveshafts are smaller diameter and very scale looking, they would give you a little more room to tilt the motor down. Maybe that will be for version 2 after you see how it all works out.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I was thinking of a smaller driveshaft too but I'm trying to use as much from the kit as I can. 2 reasons, money, and I'm still fairly new to the scene and only know ascenders, I don't want to buy things and find out they aren't even close to fitting etc. I already did that with the transfer case, I bought a rc4wd T1 transfer case and when you got it it was so huge and heavy!! Stupid heavy really so I sent that back. Trying to do a full custom build with reusing as much as I can and making as much as I can. Thanks guys!
Ben
Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I've sent stuff back too, just wasn't what it seemed to be. If it's not returnable, then I'll post in classifieds or on the bay.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was thinking of a smaller driveshaft too but I'm trying to use as much from the kit as I can. 2 reasons, money, and I'm still fairly new to the scene and only know ascenders, I don't want to buy things and find out they aren't even close to fitting etc. I already did that with the transfer case, I bought a rc4wd T1 transfer case and when you got it it was so huge and heavy!! Stupid heavy really so I sent that back. Trying to do a full custom build with reusing as much as I can and making as much as I can. Thanks guys!
Ben
Hey Ben did you get the PM with my email address? "thumbsup
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Looking good so far Ben. Will be following this one.
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

How's your little cousin Jimmy?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:01 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
How's your little cousin Jimmy?

He's back in the box at the moment. But I've collected pretty much all parts except electronics. I've bought another eBay ascender that needed finishing and tuning but already had every Vaterra aluminum upgrade, mip's, brushless power and other goodies. I've already done leafs In the rear, brass front axle tubes and custom brake rotors and custom steel bumpers. Once I get this done and tested, it's full steam ahead on Jimmy again. I'm hoping to make the axle
Tubes for the front axle next week so I can get that all set up.

I got caught by the picture Nazi's for them being too big and now it's a real pain and I get them posted. I really hate this site for their picture rules. Makes it so I have to use both phone and pc to post friggin pictures. I refuse to pay for a star so that's not happening. Ok rant over for now.... still tender about it though.

Ben
Old 11-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
He's back in the box at the moment. But I've collected pretty much all parts except electronics. I've bought another eBay ascender that needed finishing and tuning but already had every Vaterra aluminum upgrade, mip's, brushless power and other goodies. I've already done leafs In the rear, brass front axle tubes and custom brake rotors and custom steel bumpers. Once I get this done and tested, it's full steam ahead on Jimmy again. I'm hoping to make the axle
Tubes for the front axle next week so I can get that all set up.

I got caught by the picture Nazi's for them being too big and now it's a real pain and I get them posted. I really hate this site for their picture rules. Makes it so I have to use both phone and pc to post friggin pictures. I refuse to pay for a star so that's not happening. Ok rant over for now.... still tender about it though.

Ben
Even when you pay for a star you have issues with pic size....really annoying...I have to crop and then resize every pic I take...I suppose I could think ahead and change the camera pic quality before I take pictures...so annoying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Haven't had time to work on this for a while because of my Ford build I just posted, but now its time to get back at it! Haven't been working on it but sure have been buying things!!...

And building.... spot the built part?

Ben
Old 12-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I have been doing the same thing with buying parts my next build!
Can't wait to see what you come up with in the next month. I like your idea with the motor mounted down lower.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

My little Jimmy... lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't Touch My Jimmy: GMC Jimmy build by CFM CarterFab Vaterra Ascender 31 11-01-2015 12:33 AM
Jimmy-Yeti jrkilburn Axial Yeti 2 08-29-2014 06:36 PM
Jimmy Fallon hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 1 06-10-2014 10:56 AM
can Jimmy do it THIS time? emaxxjeremy Chit Chat 3 11-18-2006 12:28 PM
Wheel Chinamans..lol had Carnage..lol UPNOVER General Crawlers 0 02-27-2006 08:03 AM