Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: First Vaterra rig:K5 Blazzer or K10 pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default First Vaterra rig:K5 Blazzer or K10 pickup

what shouldi get.I was waiting for the SCX10 II,but no luck as axial can't be right with the deliveries.So i decided to get my first vaterra.Wich one should i get.They look similar under the body(maybe i am wrong),probably the wheel base is different....So,any hints?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First Vaterra rig:K5 Blazzer or K10 pickup

Its nice to get the kit, because you can make any of the 4 wheel bases ya want, and change a few things to improve performance when you build. With the rtrs, your limited to that trucks wheelbase unless you buy more parts.
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

So should i go for the blazer kit?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

All 3 of the ready to run trucks are the same chassis but built into the 3 different wheelbases to suit the 3 different bodies. Some other small differences like bumper mounts, no rear bumper or no side bars.
All RTR's have the same radio gear, motor, electronics, gearbox etc etc. and all RTR's have the same mechanical parts that you would find in the builders kit like links, axles, steel gears etc.

The Bronco is a wheelbase 1 chassis, the shortest.
K10 Chevy pickup is at wheelbase 2
No RTR released yet in wheelbase 3
Blazer is the longest at wheelbase 4

Hope that helps with your decision.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:37 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you like crawling, I am sure the K10 is the most "ready to run". I don't own an Ascender myself, but based on my scx10 experience, I would prefer not to have to trim wheel wells and drag that enormous k5 body around

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I went with the kit, but I like to build them, then picked up the k10 cab an cage, you will really like the rtr k10 trk before the rtr blazer, you cant go wrong with any of them thou.
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I went with the kit, but I like to build them, then picked up the k10 cab an cage, you will really like the rtr k10 trk before the rtr blazer, you cant go wrong with any of them thou.
I like the K10, looks good and crawles great!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I just finished the kit last night, threw on an old body I had laying around (looked goofy, way too small) because I'm waiting on paint to come, and got to drive around for 15-20 minutes today. couldn't do much since I also hadn't glued the tires yet either.... ANYWAY....couple things about the kit, the measurements for the upper front link are still wrong (I realized that after it was installed...) the shims that go in the axles are there...but no mention of where they are supposed to go(I put both behind the gear to snug up the gear mesh as people suggested). I read of some people finding little paper inserts with additional instructions, but there were none in my kit. over all the build was pretty straight forward, instructions were not as clear as an sxc10....but the end product is much much nicer than a stock scx10, so a little head scratching and trips the the forum is well worth it!!! cheers!
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well radios doesnt help me much as i have a spektrum for all cars.I think i might go with the Blazer,altough i kind of like the K10.To bad that there is no KIT version of it as the electronics doesnt help mem uch,as i would anyhow throw a waterproof servo and some holmes combo
Old 09-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
All 3 of the ready to run trucks are the same chassis but built into the 3 different wheelbases to suit the 3 different bodies. Some other small differences like bumper mounts, no rear bumper or no side bars.
All RTR's have the same radio gear, motor, electronics, gearbox etc etc. and all RTR's have the same mechanical parts that you would find in the builders kit like links, axles, steel gears etc.

The Bronco is a wheelbase 1 chassis, the shortest.
K10 Chevy pickup is at wheelbase 2
No RTR released yet in wheelbase 3
Blazer is the longest at wheelbase 4
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I like the K10, looks good and crawles great!
I love my Blazer and my new K10, I'm a kit guy, but bought first Blazer as RTR due to short on time, like the paint job, and wanted to try stock electronics which are actually pretty good for RTR. Eventually I swapped out steering servos because they were wearing out, but still operable. Love my Blazers, kit was fun but somewhat confusing build when it came to the link instructions that still need updated and corrected. With help on here for building tips I got it figured out and am really happy with it too. My new K10 is my current favorite, but still love my Blazer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
Well radios doesnt help me much as i have a spektrum for all cars.I think i might go with the Blazer,altough i kind of like the K10.To bad that there is no KIT version of it as the electronics doesnt help mem uch,as i would anyhow throw a waterproof servo and some holmes combo
The RTR receivers should bind with your Spektrum radio, I saved the DX2E transmitters as spares since they don't sell for much and am using one on my K10 at the moment. Easy to sell RTR motor and esc to offset new setup. If you have enough rx, then sell all RTR electronics. Get the one you like the looks of best, I always do a teardown, check, shim as needed, re-grease on any RTR anyways.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

So should i go for k10?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yes I would, but do you like the body?

Last edited by Natedog; 09-14-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Dont think of the KIT as a Blazer! It just happens to come with a Blazer body.
The kit also comes with all the parts you need to build any of the 4 wheelbases, buy the kit, buy the K10 body, put your waterproof servo and Holmes combo in it, run it with your spektrum radio, job done!
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #14

Quote:
The kit also comes with all the parts you need to build any of the 4 wheelbases, buy the kit, buy the K10 body, put your waterproof servo and Holmes combo in it, run it with your spektrum radio, job done!

This....

That's what I did, we don't have much crawling areas around here so I wanted to run a peppy brushless setup.

I can't leave shit alone, so the kit was my best choice, let me pick all my own everything.

I personally picked the K5 to match my real truck, but I'm planning to buy the K10 body/cage to swap on if I want.

Or it'll end up on my clod, either way it'll be slick.
K5383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes I would, but do you like the body?
I love it.And from what ive seen,doesnt seems to be heavy,as the blazer is,so i am thinking better performance,with less body roll and less weight up high
Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Most of the time i am not a big fan of changing the body on a rig.If it has a blazer body,then thats how it will be,untill the body is good and undamaged.So if its going to be a k10,thats the way i'll go all the way,till the body gives up on me
Old 09-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #17

Buy the one that you like the looks of most. If you change your mind you can easily change the truck down the road.

The Blazer body is huge and it will get hungup in the rocks. The K10 looks to be smaller, but then you have the different wheelbase.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Was watching on yputube,the K10 looks more agile....

First Vaterra rig:K5 Blazzer or K10 pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codyboy Design: 1972 Chevrolet K10 Pickup Ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 218 01-11-2018 07:11 AM
New Vaterra Acender: 1972 K10 Pickup RTR fxman General Crawlers 4 07-02-2016 11:50 PM
F650 Pickup. My tow rig lonleycreeper Non Crawler RC's 9 03-15-2014 02:20 AM
Whose Green Pickup rig was on the RC Crawler home page logo a few days ago? TheHeadHunter Chit Chat 4 02-18-2008 11:26 PM