Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender chevy truggy build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ascender chevy truggy build

Ok so I have always wanted a truggy,but it's true that every aspect of the yota has been done.thought about a honcho build,but everybody and there brother has one of those.after combing the for sale thread came across this gen.
It is true that we are going to have 2 gcm events here in n.c. and I don't want to take the same ol tf2(loved that dang truck
Well the body and cage is in solid condition,not a fan of the bed liner.but I did kill 2 birds here,Ascender chassis/performance with a hard body truggy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Ascender chevy truggy build

I had to trim my link risers to make room for the cage mount
There will not be any sliders involved in this setup due to the body mounts...will not be needed or wanted
A lot of work to do to the interior, but it is complete,and works as is with factory trans location.
All the lights are wired for the body,i need to run some rear lights out the back.I'll do some kind of light bar above the front window.
I think the rc4wd tube bumper is the way to go here.this will have a bumper winch,for the scale appearance.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looking good, why not wire LEDs in the headlight bezels?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yea yea,all the factory lights buckets are wired and ready.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Did you go to the GCM event in October? It was a good time except for that whole hurricane thing.

The truck looks great already, whoever originally build the body did a nice job. I would mount the battery up next to the servo for the convenience of just popping the hood for battery changes. Removing screws to change the battery is a major pain.

Scalerfab and Wertymade have also recently upped their Ascender bumper choices, you may want to check those out before settling on the RC4WD one. The difference in quality is very apparent when you get them both in your hands.
svt923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yea I was there
I will take a look at the scalefab shop.I have seen there webpage a couple times.the guy who built it did do a great job,i just have to finish it.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ahh, I think I remember now.

My truck was over at the other end of the gallery

Old 11-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yea yea.it was a new build?correct?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Yea yea.it was a new build?correct?

Quite new, I literally never drove it until the event started. I was getting the servo trim set while walking to the first course.

Ended up in 4th place though.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I think I end up in 25th.but I was just tickled with that.this year I will be more prepared for the event.more scale points and a more capable rig.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Well I got some work done tonight,started with the light setup.the truck was setup with the blue box,in sure you guys know what I'm referring to.mounted under the pass seat.clean enough,but there was room for improvement.I removed the box and hooked up a little dohiky I got in a trade deal.
This will allow me to run several circuits of on power source.I think in will be 2cell for now.and since the hood opens,im going to mount this at the fire wall.
This will keep everything handy and tidy.more to come in a bit...

Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
RCC Addict

What is that power buss bar? Can you run power to it and have several pins of output power? I've been looking for this exact thing. Where did you get it? Thanks.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

When I discovered it in a bag of stuff I did a little research on it.it called rclights hts,will power 10 leds. From this one device.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Not completely familiar with it yet but I was hanging on to it for a project just like this one.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The next thing I wanted to tackle was the shocks.I still run the stock units on my comp rig,very little sprung weight on that rig.but this one will be a lot heavier,so I think a shock change is needed.so I'm tooling around a local swap meet and came across these gems.
Losi comp crawler shocks with the coated shafts,almost brand new.25.00 later and old jed a millionaire.lol...anyway I'm not a fan of the springs but the truck could use some color,and they are a med and a stiff rate.
A lot more fluid to handle the load of this rig,same length,and there ssssooooo smooth.
Anyone with any racing back ground will tell you losi shocks are some of the most durable and best performing on the market.SCORE.

Last edited by racer; 11-23-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Nice doohickey, you can make your own though. Look at electronics store for "header pins " they come in various configurations, 1 pin wide, 2pin, 3 pin, that looks like a pair of 2x10 header pins (for through hole printed circuit boards (pcb)) they can be cut shorter, just be careful not to overheat them or get any errant solder while connecting them, then coat the middle soldered parts with shrink wrap. Kinda pita job, so good score on an already made part!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Ok,so let's talk about electronics setup.now I run a tekin rs gen2 in my comp rig.love that setup,all you have to do is crack the throttle(1/it just goes.so much torque at a crawl.I was thinking of going fxr pro/hd 35 turn for this rig.handles 3 cell and I KNOW it will have super smooth startup.but I was about to order my spirl cut ring and pinion set and stubbled onto the hobbywing 1080.specs look good,adjustable bec,waterproof....sounds awesome,anyone have any experience with this?
Old 11-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

So I got my bumper,gears and esc ordered this morning.I went with the hw 1080,after the black Friday discount.I played 36.00 for it.that's worth the risk.after the past couple days,i have to see this thing in action....sssooo,i sit down with my wagon wheels and rock beast.been holding out for my other wheels to come in,just can't wait any longer.
There is just something about chevys and wagon wheel.
In this pic you can see the rear springs and sway bar are a bit stiff.I need to swap springs front to rear and go down one size on the sway bar.
After I got to this point,i just through the stock esc in it and off through the yard I go.

Now if you look into the wheel well you can see the battery.this is the bpc plate,really neat piece.but it's not for this truck,i'll be using the floating tray in this rig.got on the old inter webs and found a gens ace 5000 shorty.the plate will go into the comp rig,which will make it sorrca legal for next year's southeast shootout.i'll problem still run a shorty in it,just has to be solid mounted.this truck needs every advantage I can give it.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well this is just the start,i have a vision what this truck needs to look like.but it is a neat piece.a lot more to come soon.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Ok so after swaping the battery mount,shocks and going down one in sway bar.
The flex is a lot more even.but I way go back up on sway bar.seen the springs were the culprit,only time will tell.

Ascender chevy truggy build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Chevy Ascender - interior? Nohabfsg Vaterra Ascender 7 08-05-2015 08:25 AM
chevy truggy build scalerfreak Axial SCX-10 24 04-22-2010 11:00 AM
Twisted's 55 truggy chevy build twisted Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 27 02-01-2010 10:20 PM
Scale 72 Chevy C-10 Truggy Build! brody porter Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 10-07-2008 01:45 PM