Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ford Atlas Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ford Atlas Ascender

Finished the new body. #4, but I'm actually a bit proud of this one! Ford Atlas body from JConcepts. Much stronger lexan than the original Blazer body, supposed to be .060 GE material. Shot it with Spaz Stix purple for the girl, but since it turned out to be almost exactly Mopar Plum Crazy I can live with it First time I used the exterior clear matte for the black parts but I love how it turned out.

photo 20161125_122626_zps8vsprblo.jpg

photo 20161125_122649_zpswi1saqly.jpg

photo 20161125_122757_zpshhr2kceb.jpg
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ford Atlas Ascender

Looks good. I was hoping to be first to post a finished one as I'm literally masking for paint today lol. I didn't like it at first but like how fat it is to tuck the tires completely. Even with the flat iron xl's on there. Glad you posted though because I was thinking of painting the bed with Berliner like a real truck to break up the paint and I like yours like that.

Ben

Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Good looking truck right there.

I had the same feeling when I painted a truck for my wife, her truck ended up looking much better than mine.

Its nice to see so many Ascenders running around NC these days.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks for the compliments! We took it out crawling Sunday and I can testify it makes the Ascender even more stable than it already was...wide/low rather than narrow/high with the Blazer body. She spent a lot less time upside down lol

Last edited by 2mtech; 12-01-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

Nice, I have had one for a while now but in blue. Haven't had the chance to finish the lighting on it yet. RL got in the way of okay and fun time. I only used straight black paint but think yours looks much better with that. Looks like a real bed liner

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Power to Satisfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power to Satisfy View Post
Nice, I have had one for a while now but in blue. Haven't had the chance to finish the lighting on it yet. RL got in the way of okay and fun time. I only used straight black paint but think yours looks much better with that. Looks like a real bed liner

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I have three different lighting systems in the mail, will have to pick one. And I know what you mean about RL getting in the way like a mother-in-law on a honeymoon...I had to take vacation to finish this one
Old 12-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Looks awesome. How does it do. Is the body heavier. I know the blazer was top heavy and tipsy. So advice would be great. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
johnvickery864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvickery864 View Post
Looks awesome. How does it do. Is the body heavier. I know the blazer was top heavy and tipsy. So advice would be great. Thank you.

Thanks! It does awesome! The body is a little heavier because it's heavier lexan, but it's still not heavy. The wide fenders allow lower body mounting without hanging on the tires during articulation, adding to stability. I've been on the fence about the Vaterra chassis, always seemed stiff and tippy to me. I upgraded the shocks to the Vaterra aluminum ones and didn't like it any better. But I drilled out the piston holes to 1/16" and replaced the stock oil (35W I think?) with 17W. Now it's much more responsive and rebounds much quicker. That, combined with the Atlas body, finally won me over. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgWgkITspU
Old 12-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #9

Dude that looks awesome. Yeah that would win me over too. I been on the fence between an scx10 2 and the ascender. I've drove both thanks to my buddies. I love the tight turn of the ascender. Both have there pros and cons. But thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It'll definitely way in my decision

johnvickery864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvickery864 View Post
Dude that looks awesome. Yeah that would win me over too. I been on the fence between an scx10 2 and the ascender. I've drove both thanks to my buddies. I love the tight turn of the ascender. Both have there pros and cons. But thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It'll definitely way in my decision

All I can say towards your choice is the Vaterra crawls and trails every mile my SCX10 does. After every outing I blow the dust and mud off the Vaterra and put it back on its stand...then I fix whatever broke on the SCX10. I have yet to have anything break on the Vaterra....
Old 12-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Great looking truck, plumb crazy purple is good and the body looks right at home!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Great looking truck, plumb crazy purple is good and the body looks right at home!
Thanks! Means a lot...your build thread was a great source of information and inspiration before I did the initial build on this one

Ford Atlas Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawlerado Crawling Atlas dystance Colorado 67 05-11-2018 01:30 PM
team atlas? a_vdk Electronics 18 02-01-2017 02:42 AM
Ford atlas losikid Chit Chat 9 02-10-2013 03:36 PM
Eritex Atlas ColquittCustom405 General Scale Talk 14 11-23-2008 08:43 PM
Atlas 2, kind of..... Eritex Inc. Chit Chat 171 10-16-2008 08:14 PM