Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Yeti.Stealths Ascenders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Yeti.Stealths Ascenders

Hi everyone, about time I started my own thread I think. My first ascender and Rc crawler started out as a first release RTR Blazer, it was one of the Blazers with the standard plastic drive shafts and pinion gear.
While I never broke the standard stuff, I did replace them with HD parts as soon as they became available.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  126.4 KB
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti.Stealths Ascenders

Next on the list was inner fenders made from plastic containers, silver paint over the chrome plastic rims ( too Blingy ) lower the body and trim wheel arches, invert rear bumper mounts to raise it, back the spring pre load off a bit and that was it for a while.

Views: 2503
Size:  182.2 KB
Old 12-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm loving the Ascender and the local crawler scene and rccrawler, but the torque twist was getting to me, I didn't like how slow the shocks were so I notched the shock pistons and used a lighter oil, all this softening of shocks and springs making torque twist worse so time figure out how to fit the wraith front sway bar kit to the rear of my Blazer.

Views: 2457
Size:  178.5 KB

Last edited by Yeti.stealth; 12-22-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Afterwards, I wish I had of just made my own. I really only used the 2 alloy arms, screws and ball ends, used smaller piano wire for the bar and keep filing a big flat spot in it till I thought it was soft enough to be right.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Baked the glued on tires off in the oven, fitted up some SSD bead locks and CI lil nova foams, oh yeah!

Views: 2437
Size:  97.4 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Views: 2447
Size:  162.9 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Views: 2432
Size:  180.0 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Views: 2399
Size:  168.5 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I was really happy with it after the mods mentioned above, but now my thoughts were moving towards a smaller body, was damn close to putting a honcho body and cage on it when Vaterra released the K10 Chevy pickup, oh yeah! I gotta try that!
End result below. Go to this thread to see what was needed to do it.

New Ascender Version Coming?

Views: 2684
Size:  178.0 KB

Last edited by Yeti.stealth; 12-22-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

A sneak peak of my sons Christmas present, he really enjoys sharing my crawler with me, having a go in comps, trail runs or just bashing in the yard at home. Time we got him one of his own, all he has ever wanted is the "blue Bronco daddy! You know, the square one..." I have not influenced his choice, he has no idea of the various brands and I have shown him many other crawlers but he insists he wants the Bronco.....suits me just fine! Already got spares and shorty batt packs.

Views: 2356
Size:  140.8 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Already lowered the bronco body two holes and out boarded the rear shocks ( helps fight torque twist )
the shocks feel really nice and smooth and plush, nothing like the stiff first release Blazer shocks on my old rig!
All of this soft smooth shocks stuff is Gunna equal more torque twist so time to make a rear sway bar for the bronco.

Views: 2312
Size:  141.2 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Test fitted to my K10 Chevy, made the chassis mounts so they would clear the rear body posts and clips, this design will then fit any model Ascender.

Views: 2998
Size:  148.1 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Views: 2366
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Sway bar all packaged up, we will wrap it and put it under the Christmas tree for our boy, he will get a battery, then the sway bar parts. He will be thinking " why am I getting crawler stuff?" Haha! Then BOOM......BRONCO!!!

Felt good hand making the sway bar kit Christmas present.

Views: 2275
Size:  100.7 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 02:46 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Awesome Christmas presant! Good job on the sway bar. I hate how much the axial kit cost too but love the performance. Looks like yours will do just fine!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

X2, nice rigs and great job on the swaybar.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hey Dean, You have had your Codyboy Design axles for a while, just wondering how you think they are working for you?
Boy is JR going to be surprised. Warms my heart to see some great father son bonding in your future!!!!
Ernie

PS: great work on the sway bar set up. I can't see in your pics, have you tried rear upper link risers? I raised mine so the two links flex on the same plane, really help with the torque twist.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Very nice to see your own thread here, you've done a lot of good work with the Ascender and your improved swaybar mounting locations are a great improvement! I appreciate your help locating the ideal place to drill the frame for the forward mounted swaybar, really cleaned up the rear of my truck when I moved it. Awesome that your son is involved and having fun with you! Try the link setup as Ernie mentioned.

Last edited by Natedog; 12-22-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks guys,
Ernie, your Codyboy axles are working great, my budget didn't stretch enough for the full treatment with weighted hubs and trick extra steering so I'm just running weighted wheels for now, I know it's not the best way to add weight but it will have to do for now.

As for relocating the rear upper links, it's on my to do list! X 2 now haha.

It will be interesting tinkering with the Bronco, the short wheel base will for sure hurt its maximum climb angle compared to long wheel base but it will shine in other areas I'm sure, will be plenty of "wow did it just climb that" moments ahead like every other ascender owner experiences.

On the Bronco, I would like to lower the shocks, remove the bump stops, install internal travel limiters, make some front and rear bumpers and sliders, trim a bit off the body under the doors and wheel flares, put the new tyres on my old SSD beadlocks with my old lil nova foams and also give the body the shoo goo and mesh tape treatment in the corners etc.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Thanks guys,
Ernie, your Codyboy axles are working great, my budget didn't stretch enough for the full treatment with weighted hubs and trick extra steering so I'm just running weighted wheels for now, I know it's not the best way to add weight but it will have to do for now.

As for relocating the rear upper links, it's on my to do list! X 2 now haha.

It will be interesting tinkering with the Bronco, the short wheel base will for sure hurt its maximum climb angle compared to long wheel base but it will shine in other areas I'm sure, will be plenty of "wow did it just climb that" moments ahead like every other ascender owner experiences.

On the Bronco, I would like to lower the shocks, remove the bump stops, install internal travel limiters, make some front and rear bumpers and sliders, trim a bit off the body under the doors and wheel flares, put the new tyres on my old SSD beadlocks with my old lil nova foams and also give the body the shoo goo and mesh tape treatment in the corners etc.
Hey sounds to me like you have your priorities in the right place! Look at the great rig your building for Jr. That father son quality time is worth way more than unweighted wheels or what ever!!! Keep up the good work young man!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti.Stealths Ascenders - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log TomFrajer Axial Yeti 320 05-22-2017 09:01 PM
Comp classes for ascenders? Biomedchad Vaterra Ascender 15 04-15-2016 02:19 PM