Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Veterra Bronco Old Yeller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #141
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Guess where I got these

Im back but leaving tomorrow for Delaware for a turny. Then on to VA Beach again but this time for vacation. Rhett is going with his Pop today to run there trucks at Catoctin park. Lots of good rocks there.

SHOme

Sent from my Speak and Spell
SHOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #142
Rock Crawler

So I wired everything up and took the chassis out for her maiden run. I'm going to need a little more ground clearance I think. Codyboy axles had her stuck to the ground. Side hills and climbing were outstanding compared to my TF2. It was a short but sweet run. Now I have to patch the big tranny hole in the interior and mount the body.

SHOme

Sent from my Speak and Spell
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #143
Rock Crawler

I have had some time to do some shake down. I ran it on 2s and was a bit slow. 3s with the 45 turn motor and 14t pinion seems to be my fun zone. I'm going to pick up some extra pinions because rhett wants a bit more speed and we both need to lean the effects of pinion size. The way I understand it is bigger is faster but at a certain point you can overload the speed control. Is that right? Also a smaller spur will increase or decrease speed if the same pinion is used? I was thinking about trying the twin hammers spur.

The scaler shocks even with the extensions are to low in my opinion. I am going to Natedog the stock shocks and see how that goes.

I will say this my Codyboy axled rig ran circles around my Dads stock Bronco. Rhett has the Codyboy front axle and bumperless stinger. That with the 1.9 tires and WB4 gives him a significant edge on the larger rocks.

I still need to hook up my two speed and redo the interior now that I have moved the motor forward.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOme View Post
I have had some time to do some shake down. I ran it on 2s and was a bit slow. 3s with the 45 turn motor and 14t pinion seems to be my fun zone. I'm going to pick up some extra pinions because rhett wants a bit more speed and we both need to lean the effects of pinion size. The way I understand it is bigger is faster but at a certain point you can overload the speed control. Is that right? Also a smaller spur will increase or decrease speed if the same pinion is used? I was thinking about trying the twin hammers spur.

The scaler shocks even with the extensions are to low in my opinion. I am going to Natedog the stock shocks and see how that goes.

I will say this my Codyboy axled rig ran circles around my Dads stock Bronco. Rhett has the Codyboy front axle and bumperless stinger. That with the 1.9 tires and WB4 gives him a significant edge on the larger rocks.

I still need to hook up my two speed and redo the interior now that I have moved the motor forward.
Hey Cary, Good to see you guys are getting a little time to tune and crawl. The larger pinions will more likely effect your motor more than your speed control. As you gear up you need to watch your motor temps! The saying you hear a lot one hear is "gear down, amp up." You already have seen the difference the 3s batterys have made over twos. Also, the lower the KV # on a motor the faster it will be, but have a little less torque.
On your ride height, remember, trying to achieve more flex or travel buy lengthening shocks isn't always the best way to go. When using the stock shocks most of us run spacers below the piston to limit the shock travel and I know that both Nate and I have our springs adjusted so we have at least 1/3 droop to keep the center of gravity a little lower. Just a couple things to remember when tuning your shocks. Hope this helps you out a little. Just my 2 cents
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 08-03-2017 at 09:25 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #145
Rock Crawler

Two speed complete. Don't know if it is worth it. Not much of a difference between hi and low. I guess it's scale though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #146
Rock Crawler

Here are some more pictures with body and partial interior. Still trying to figure out the best way to mount everything. I'm using magnets on top of the front body posts but the rear is still in planning.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #147
Rock Crawler

Worked on a little interior. The dash is supposed attach to the body. Problem is my roll cage is in the way. So I notched the backside and will mount it to the roll cage after paint. I also test fitted my driver and took some shots. I need some opinions on seat covers. Pictured is some duck tape that has a hemp rope look. I'm not in love with it but I guess it would do. I'm going to get some off white/cream paint for the dash.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Worked on a little interior. The dash is supposed attach to the body. Problem is my roll cage is in the way. So I notched the backside and will mount it to the roll cage after paint. I also test fitted my driver and took some shots. I need some opinions on seat covers. Pictured is some duck tape that has a hemp rope look. I'm not in love with it but I guess it would do. I'm going to get some off white/cream paint for the dash.

Hey Cary, you did a good job improvising there with your dash. My thoughts on the tape is if you hadn't told me what it was I would have thought, "Hey, where did you get the cool seat covers"?
Tell Rhett I said he needs to post up on his build! I want to see what he's been doing. I'm sure dad would help him if he got stuck.

Do you have your airline tickets yet for your trip to the RPP Jamboree? We have an extra bed for Two!
Ernie
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #149
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Cary, you did a good job improvising there with your dash. My thoughts on the tape is if you hadn't told me what it was I would have thought, "Hey, where did you get the cool seat covers"?
Tell Rhett I said he needs to post up on his build! I want to see what he's been doing. I'm sure dad would help him if he got stuck.

Do you have your airline tickets yet for your trip to the RPP Jamboree? We have an extra bed for Two!
Ernie
Rhett is super busy with football and Spanish. He runs his truck a lot but has no time to piddle. Winter is coming though. Thanks for the offer we would love to come but we have six fall turnys for Lindsey. Can't swing it this year.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

Rhett and I went up to Cunningham Falls State park today. I think something broke in the transfer case. I had the slipper loose too. I'll post when I pull it apart. The codyboy axles had her side hilling like a champ!!!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Hope it is something simple like a loose set screw! Boy Rhett has grown since last year when we visited you guys!!!!
I really like that color combo on your bronco.
Keep playing so your ready to come to Oregon next year!
Going to have my surgery Wed, so I will be down for a little while.
Ernie
Old 09-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Looks GREAT!
i have the two speed setup on gcm forward mount and the gear select shaft hits the mip front drive shaft. Do you have that problem too?
Running same wheelbase as you too.

Ernie i still need to try and change the pinion angle to see if that helps. And good luck on wednesday, get well soon young man!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #153
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Looks GREAT!
i have the two speed setup on gcm forward mount and the gear select shaft hits the mip front drive shaft. Do you have that problem too?
Running same wheelbase as you too.

Ernie i still need to try and change the pinion angle to see if that helps. And good luck on wednesday, get well soon young man!
How about this? I switched the shafts in the xfer case. Clears shifter by a mile. The problem is angles change and will have to add rear link riser to clear rear driveshaft. Bending shift shaft is still an option as is using a wheel collar and piano wire like GCM did on I think a blazer they built.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hope it is something simple like a loose set screw! Boy Rhett has grown since last year when we visited you guys!!!!
I really like that color combo on your bronco.
Keep playing so your ready to come to Oregon next year!
Going to have my surgery Wed, so I will be down for a little while.
Ernie
It was a set screw. Whoever I got it from didn't use locktite

Old 09-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It was a set screw. Whoever I got it from didn't use locktite

I guess your probably going to need to fire that guy!
Ernie
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #156
Rock Crawler

Naahh he a good dude. He probably told me to check it when he sent it. If it wasn't him it was the little guy on my shoulder always whispering in my ear (the good one). The bad one was saying just get it in there so we can run it!

Also I have changed my mind about the two speed. Although on a smooth surface the speeds don't seem much different when it is on the trails it seems just right. If it was much faster it wouldn't look scale.

This was the first real crawling I have done with this one. Man I love it! I need to add the rear link risers and stiffen the rear shock a bit and I think it will be good. The TT is unacceptable.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How about this? I switched the shafts in the xfer case. Clears shifter by a mile. The problem is angles change and will have to add rear link riser to clear rear driveshaft. Bending shift shaft is still an option as is using a wheel collar and piano wire like GCM did on I think a blazer they built.

NICE!!!

not sure i can do this, as mine is using... not GCM xfer case. i think its... rc3wd? yeah. not sure i can flip it like that but i will have a look-see.

i will watch that vid though. Chris and Dana are great eh? love all the Canadian vids in this hobby!

thanks for the idea!
Tiny Truck salute!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

Painted the dash. Now to add some detail to it.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #159
Rock Crawler

Seats are done. Still adding a little detail to the dash.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Seats are done. Still adding a little detail to the dash.

Hey Cary, I like the look of the seats, the tape worked good!!!
And thanks for all the support, it means the world to Marcia ad I!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-11-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Veterra Bronco Old Yeller - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guess what it will be????? motorman1600 1.9 Scale Rigs 73 12-02-2009 02:12 PM
Can You Guess drumbeater Chit Chat 18 08-13-2009 07:25 PM
Guess where I'm going! robbo989 Chit Chat 21 04-20-2007 05:26 PM
guess what. Double J Chit Chat 38 01-08-2007 12:21 AM
guess what im getting!! m0nkey98 Chit Chat 6 12-23-2006 04:43 PM